Catchup on Chrome browser - can't "open link in new tab"

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted

Re: Catchup on Chrome browser - can't "open link in new tab"

@Uel_M, it's a pleasure Smiley Happy

Telenovela

@Grace_DStv1 wrote:
@Uel_M, we hear you. Your concerns will be passed on to the developers to look into as well. 

Thanks so much for checking, @Grace_DStv1. I really do appreciate it.

| Windows 10 - Chrome Browser | Afrihost 20Mbps Capped ADSL | Explora |

Telenovela

In the meantime for anyone else annoyed by this, here's a workaround:

1. Click the desired link. The current tab loads the associated page.
  2. Duplicate the current tab (native method is to right-click the tab and choose 'Duplicate'). A new tab is opened directly adjacent and to the right of the current tab, it is given focus and becomes the new current tab, and it is a duplicate of the previous tab (down to its history even).
  3. Switch back to the previous tab (the one you duplicated), and navigate back one. You now have your first tab at the original page before clicking the link, and adjacent to it you have the tab with what you first clicked on.

This layout works for my purposes, although you may find it tedious (depending on the frequency with which you'd need to use it). 

@Uel_M wrote:

Thanks for the response. Seems like a step backwards removing "Open in New Tab" don't you think, Grace?

How would a user compare/bookmark/queue content now? If I've got 30 of the newest content to scroll through and I like 5 of them, each time I want to watch something I need to remember what I wanted to watch, scroll down through even newer content that may have been added (over and above the original 30) just to find that item.... 

Also, say I do scroll down to item 50 or so on the list and there's 2 or 3 down there I want to watch, everytime I close Chrome and reopen it, the list is reset so I have to scroll back down....

@Uel_M, we hear you. Your concerns will be passed on to the developers to look into as well. 

Telenovela

Thanks for the response. Seems like a step backwards removing "Open in New Tab" don't you think, Grace?

How would a user compare/bookmark/queue content now? If I've got 30 of the newest content to scroll through and I like 5 of them, each time I want to watch something I need to remember what I wanted to watch, scroll down through even newer content that may have been added (over and above the original 30) just to find that item.... 

Also, say I do scroll down to item 50 or so on the list and there's 2 or 3 down there I want to watch, everytime I close Chrome and reopen it, the list is reset so I have to scroll back down....

BoxOffice

"Back" doesn't equal "Open in New Tab"   

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode

@Uel_M, kindly see the response from the developers.

The team introduced “deep linking” on the catchup page, eg https://now.dstv.com/catchup/movies?filter=animation&sort=oldest and added “Back” functionality on the show page itself (which removes the need to use new tabs).

With these changes, the logic of the links was changed.

The request has been sent through to the team, but they might not get to it soon as this is really not a bug and more of a feature request. 

@Uel_M, checking this with the teams involved. We'll revert back shortly. 

Telenovela

Thanks for checking, Luke. I thought it may just have been me. 

Its a recent thing because my routine like once a week was always to browse through the latest movies, open a couple in new tabs, then watch on those tabs until the next week.

But now....nada

BoxOffice

Can't get any browser to do that

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode