Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Explora CU "Shows" - what a mess!!

8 REPLIES
BoxOffice

Re: Explora CU "Shows" - what a mess!!

Thank you Grace, I'll reserve further related comment.

@Optimist wrote:

- Mankind The Story of All of Us episodic synopsis for Ep 9 and 10;-

Still awaiting supplier to provide us with the episodic synopsis for these titles. Once received, we'll re-publish them.

Anyone paying reasonable attention would have noticed this. Proper QA ensures blame is not needed.

Regarding this issue and my answer - correction, I only comprehended now that it was a generic description and not a repeat individual description.

I don't need to make excuses but note that it isn't obvious or certain unless read and compared to others most carefully.

For instance, I'm now suspicious of the final episode 12 synopsis which may have the same "generalness" in its description.

@Optimist - we've raised these issues with the teams involved to avoid this happening again. 

BoxOffice

My answers in red.

Hi @Optimist - not at all, we value our customers feedback as it will help us provide the best content experience possible.

@Grace_DStv1  -  thank you, as usual you're a credit to your company. BUT...

I meant generally, I won't help with feedback as things stand. In this case I will respond to your comments from the team, however note that I consider there to be far too many excuses and little if any apologising meant. QA is disgustingly lacking.

Here's what's been happening; 

- The History Vault logo does not appear on CU+:-

The content automatically defaults to dish due to the fact that History Vault does not have an existing linear channel to link back to.

It does not default to a channel 100 "Dish" logo (AKA "thumbnail pic"), it's an unmarked logo, but ok let's call it that. However, note that one series' logo ("Mankind The Story Of All Of Us") did manage to have it so it can and should be done on all.

- Mandela Moments;-

Clips were published in batches starting from 12 July, linear date captured ties back to the publish date and not the linear date as it doesn't follow it.

I accept this excuse as I know how impossible it is to make software do all things for unknown odd future needs, but QA may have offered the chance to manually correct this.

- Expiry dates on vault

This content will be available as a Video On Demand catalogue for the full duration of its license.

Ok.

- The episodes loaded with the R18 rating;-

May you kindly confirm which series you are referring to so we can  verify and fix if need be.

I purposely didn't give detail... which forced your team to HAVE TO examine everything, which they should have from the start :-p

I will now confirm that it was fixed. Note that this is a very regular kind of mistake.

- Numbering of How the States Got Their Shapes;-

The team is investigating. However, missing episodes should have started to fill up by now.

Ok.

- Shorter length of How the States Got Their Shapes Ep 16

The Collection on History Vault are made up of various titles similar in theme but not necessarily from the same series, so episodic run-time can be expected from title to title.

Ok. However note that this kind of error is real and far too common sometimes.

- "Mankind The Story of All Of Us" vs. "America The Story Of Us";-

The two collections are similar in title, however they deal with slightly different themes;

- American The Story of Us Overview;-

America The Story of Us is an epic 12-hour television event that explores the country's remarkable journey.

- Mankind The Story of All of Us Overview;-

From the power of science to how physics and biology combined to shape our shared journey, experience the human story like it's never been told before.

Fine, seemed worth checking under these circumstances and there was a small mistake since corrected.

Still awaiting supplier to provide us with the episodic synopsis for these titles. Once received, we'll re-publish them.

Anyone paying reasonable attention would have noticed this. Proper QA ensures blame is not needed.

Thank you. Any further response from me is not guaranteed.

Hi @Optimist - not at all, we value our customers feedback as it will help us provide the best content experience possible. Here's what's been happening; 

- The History Vault logo does not appear on CU+:-

The content automatically defaults to dish due to the fact that History Vault does not have an existing linear channel to link back to.

- Mandela Moments;-

Clips were published in batches starting from 12 July, linear date captured ties back to the publish date and not the linear date as it doesn't follow it.

- Expiry dates on vault

This content will be available as a Video On Demand catalogue for the full duration of its license.

- The episodes loaded with the R18 rating;-

May you kindly confirm which series you are referring to so we can  verify and fix if need be.

- Numbering of How the States Got Their Shapes;-

The team is investigating. However, missing episodes should have started to fill up by now.

- Shorter length of How the States Got Their Shapes Ep 16

The Collection on History Vault are made up of various titles similar in theme but not necessarily from the same series, so episodic run-time can be expected from title to title.

- "Mankind The Story of All Of Us" vs. "America The Story Of Us";-

The two collections are similar in title, however they deal with slightly different themes;

- American The Story of Us Overview;-

America The Story of Us is an epic 12-hour television event that explores the country's remarkable journey.

- Mankind The Story of All of Us Overview;-

From the power of science to how physics and biology combined to shape our shared journey, experience the human story like it's never been told before.

BoxOffice

@Grace_DStv1 wrote:

Hi @Optimist - we noticed that most of these issues are content related, teams involved are already on it. 

@Grace_DStv1, whatever the team are trying to say here there's clearly a bad lack of effective QA on MC's side. I'm done reporting most things unless / until I see a massive improvement.

Many thanks

Doin' it 4 Tv

This is a typing error. On cu+ into the badlands season 3 episode 6, can we please not just copy and paste. It's (Favour not Favor) we are not American

Its a small thing but if ignored will become a big thing. Thanks 

--Explora 1 & 2a--

Hi @Optimist - we noticed that most of these issues are content related, teams involved are already on it. 

BoxOffice

Shocking! Clearly this was just a mass upload and no one bothered to check or verify anything - quite possibly the new norm, no longer the exception.

Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Highlighted
BoxOffice

Explora CU "Shows" - what a mess!!

MC, this is posted to give you feedback, not to try hurt you. This is what your customers are experiencing. And the effort required to list it all... as you will see... which is why many don't bother anymore!
Please ensure it reaches senior management in your Business Division as well. Please confirm.

For months the Catch Up "Shows" section has been very poor in content choice for a number of tastes, focusing very exclusively on reality etc. type shows and just a couple of cultures. Gone were any of the doccies etc. we got used to.
Nobody here said anything, what's the point with the large wave of related changes we've witnessed this last year or so...

Now suddenly, this morning I saw there are a whole lot of new shows - one showing quick moments of thought about Mandela, and 5 doccie series. All or most seem to be from the History channel's "vault", although only one is marked with its source (first error).

Well, what a mess... clearly little QA if any, and no concern for the detail that makes things work properly!

The Mandela moments - still loading, fair enough, but at this stage we have a complete mess re the dates they were aired. Many claim to have aired last night, some a week ago, some about 10 days ago. In fact most of all these new series episodes claim to have aired last night or tonight - maybe ok if it's all from the History vault which makes that factor unimportant, but in this series the dates are all mixed up - the first few were shown last night, then the next episode-order bunch are from last week, then we switch to last night again, etc.
This is poor effort MC however it is looked at, and it confuses people.

As for the expiry dates - most of them in the various series are claiming they will only expire in a year's time!

Then we can mention one series that has 2 episodes with an R18 age limit... ???... everything else is Family or PG.

Then there's a series called "How The States Got Their Shapes" with episodes 1, 2, 4, 6, 7 and 16... ridiculous!
Yes, we know it sometimes takes a while for episodes to load, but with the exception of the Mandela series mentioned these are all on CU+  - that means everything we see is what is going on at MC, we only receive lists of what they can make available.
BTW, episode 16 is half the length of the other episodes so clearly faulty.

Then we've got 2 of the series with almost the same name, something wrong there... "Mankind The Story of All Of Us" and "America The Story Of The Us(sic)".

And look at some of the synopses that are clearly wrong. Example: in "Mankind The Story of All Of Us" there's the same synopsis for episodes 9 and 10.

Good grief MC, what are you doing?!?!