Welcome to Catch Up

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

When Will MC get Catch UP problems sorted out!

13 REPLIES 13
Showmaxed

Re: When Will MC get Catch UP problems sorted out!

I was part of that thread. It wasn't destroyed, titles were missing from some sections more than normal, that's since better again (but it's never been completely fixed through the years), and the order is still chaotic.

We're all fed up, but let's avoid confusion as we try to get MC and the Mods to do their jobs.

Personally I think it's time to get word to the MC top levels about how poorly the Mods (and those behind them) respond here... last chance people, and then stick to it.

Doccie

All u have to do is read the Re: CU issues! of 18 Jan 2019 and you'll see it was DESTROYED. Eveyone complained

Feedback on 19 Jan 2019    Cya_DStv1 (Moderator) 

"Since we had noted these issues, we have notified the VOD team, with examples and are waiting for concrete feedback. We are looking into these anomalies and most issues stem from QA which has been disbanded. Probably by Tues, I'll have feedback"

Showmaxed

What do you mean by destroyed? Nobody else is experiencing anything like that as far as we know. We've just seen that the order is all mixed up now.

Mods, where are you??!!

Doccie

This relates to the last software update that destroyed CU+.

Any Idea when this will be fixed?

Showmaxed

@Thoko_DStv1 wrote:

Hi @Optimist,

We understand your frustration. We have alerted the CatchUp technicians regarding the anomalies and they have reiterated that the issue will be fixed with the next software update. 

Further feedback: Apologies to the CatchUp technicians - we just realised that they must be the newer techies from Showmax, so not fully aware of past poor performance, or any related discussions.

So... a bit more then, worth one more attempt IMO...

1. "The next software update"

Sounded like they're referring to the Explora updates. Considering how many there have been of late, and all buggy and only addressing small factors of what's wrong, not something too believable.

But maybe they meant their CU system software. If so, next update still seems unlikely, especially since related issues haven't been fixed for years.

We have seen Explora software doing a couple of odd things with the CU+ listings, but it must be made clear that on the whole all the workings for CU+ before we download is on MC's side.

2. Is it software related?

Perhaps these techies have been led astray, so I'll unpack it here.

There's a presumed software bug (MC's CU system software) that could appear similar - many CU+ folders in use for library items like the "History Vault" are missing episodes. But that's a different kind of full season - in the folders affected the episodes missing are random, and all the episodes were loaded more or less at once onto MC's system.

What we're looking at here (Elementary S06) is a box set, its behaviour is quite different.

What's missing here is not random episodes, it's quite orderly.

Each week after a CU episode expired, it was then meant to be replaced by the CU+ equivalent for the longer duration. such behaviour stopped after E09.

3. Why wasn't it fixed??

In the case of the library folders, clearly any messing with those could cause people to lose the downloads they already made there, so a good precaution if that's the thinking, at least until it can be guaranteed to work after one reset.

In the case of the box sets - I doubt the same concern would apply, just adding CU+ titles should work out... if it was even considered, which I suspect it wasn't - this seems typically related to the lack of monitoring and care as far as original CU staff and / or their managers go.

4. I'm not sure if the general "anomalies" reference in the feedback we last got meant all or even most of the CU bugs, many of which are completely different from this one being discussed.

Hopefully not, such a wide statement is at the least reckless. If all bugs disappear after the next update I'll certainly eat my hat ;-)

Many thanks.

Now I'm pulling out of this conversation again...

BoxOffice

Hmm, not sure how a software update will sort the **** in CU/CU+  . If it does, then I need to get hold of this magic stuff... will work wonders in my line of work.

In the meantime , I'll rely on the human element to QA my software and the results,  something that MC seems not to care enough about.

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode
Showmaxed

@Thoko_DStv1 wrote:

Hi @Optimist,

We understand your frustration. We have alerted the CatchUp technicians regarding the anomalies and they have reiterated that the issue will be fixed with the next software update. 

Feedback is always a good thing, but I don't buy the excuse - having had a professional software background I understand how things work in many instances such as this one, and I don't buy that these mistakes are software bug related.

Even if they somehow are, then it's too much automation and far too little human QA - the same issue present everywhere in MC like a cancer.

There's also the fact that MC keep getting caught telling fibs... not that I'm saying that's the case here, but MC have that reputation.

And... there are so many errors with CU, hard to accept any excuse and of little interest re the bigger picture.

Sorry to be so harsh as far as those who are trying to improve things go, IMO only harshness has a chance of waking up MC's now numb body parts...

I have no interest in continuing this conversation.

Hi @Optimist,

Showmaxed

Here's an example of very poor service from the CU team that could do with being spotlighted.

But tell us why and how such a mistake being made and then overlooked is possible please, otherwise we're unlikely to bother again...

Look at the Channels section of CU, in the "M-Net City" tab.

Look inside the Elementary folder - available on CU+ until 3 Jan., yet only episodes 1 to 9 are there and 10 to 21 are missing.

As this is CU+, the error can only be on MC's side.

Also, why is the expiry date of the "Season Ended" file in this folder only destined to expire on 7 November next year?

That just makes a mess of empty folders for months to come, as other examples reveal.

IMO, there is no possible excuse for something like this. It's very simple, and it would even be spotted by young children if they were tasked with doing QA.

Not healthy MC, there is no control of worth in this department. Considering that some see it as the most important of your services, that's a very serious problem.

Showmaxed

Please only use email as it is on record, but I would prefer not at this stage thank you.