Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

DStv Now data usage when using AirPlay to AppleTV

SOLVED
Highlighted
New poster

DStv Now data usage when using AirPlay to AppleTV

I have the DStv Now App (version 10.1.0 (2)) installed on my iPhone. When I watch live TV on the iPhone itself, the App's Maximum Video Quality settings work quite well, e.g. if I select the 'Medium - up to 576p' setting, the DStv Now App uses approximately 700 MB / hr of data through my Wifi connection as indicated by the DStv Now App.

However, having chosen the 'Medium - up to 576p' setting, if I select the DStv Now App to AirPlay to my AppleTV, the 'Medium - up to 576p' selection is being ignored and the data usage seems to go to the maximum data rate my 4Mbit ADSL connection can achieve.

Can you please confirm whether the Maximum Video Quality settings are in fact not applicable when using AirPlay, or is this a software bug that needs to be resolved? It will be quite useful if a user can also limit the bandwidth usage when using Airplay.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: DStv Now data usage when using AirPlay to AppleTV

For all who may be wondering, it is available on the app store so if you find the app there, you can install and use it.

That being said, the app is available for 4th and 5th generation Apple TV devices.

@Wough Yes, the Airplay doesn't respect the max video quality setting so right now there is no way to cap the airplay video quality. So airplay will always try to stream the highest possible quality. On the Apple TV app we have a max video quality setting under Settings so you can set the max video quality to the desired value..

4 REPLIES
Doccie

I'm no expert on this, so take it from whence it comes, but are you sure it's not your wi-fi usage that's being maxed out to cast the picture to your TV, rather than your ADSL connection. Depending on what you're using to measure your usage, and how you've set it up, it could be displaying your internal network usage, rather than your internet usage.

For all who may be wondering, it is available on the app store so if you find the app there, you can install and use it.

That being said, the app is available for 4th and 5th generation Apple TV devices.

@Wough Yes, the Airplay doesn't respect the max video quality setting so right now there is no way to cap the airplay video quality. So airplay will always try to stream the highest possible quality. On the Apple TV app we have a max video quality setting under Settings so you can set the max video quality to the desired value..

New poster

Thanks Cya_DStv1,

I tried to find the DStv Now App on my AppleTV App Store a couple of weeks ago but wasn't successful. I suppose it was added quite recently. Installed App today and works great with no need for AirPlay anymore via iPhone. Also noticed the bandwidth options. Thanks for the help.

It has only been added recently, do enjoy;-)