Did you mean: 
Need help?

Mobile data warning on Android TV

SOLVED
5 REPLIES 5
pcb
Anime

Re: Mobile data warning on Android TV

There were no options on either of the boxes when I connected the dongle, and can't find anything in the settings that could set it as a metered connection.

Red Carpet

Probably Android related yes but could also be something to do with the hardware. I just saw people were having issues using Plex with a USB connector where it automatically downscaled video as if it was a metered connection and trying to save data. Did the Mibox 3 not maybe have a setting to flag a connection as metered or non-metered? Maybe the thinking is that USB connections are likely as 3G dongle or something along those lines.

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
pcb
Anime

I am actually using a USB to ethernet adapter, which I thought might be causing the issue, and having tested I can confirm that it is. 

Didn't do this on my Mibox 3, perhaps has something to do with the slightly new version of Android TV on the MiBox 4.

Red Carpet

I assume you are connected via WiFi? I do see some posts online about people having similar issues with other Apps when they use a Ethernet to USB connector to connect to Internet. If this is what you are using you might need to switch to WiFi.

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Red Carpet

I also have a Mi Box S and do not get this message. The box connects to your router via WiFi so for some reason DSTV Now is thinking that the specific WiFi is a metered connection. Did you not get any such questions at any stage asking whether it is a metered connection? I looked through the box setting as well as the DSTV Now settings but also can't see where you flag a specific connection as non-metered. Smiley Sad

On my Android phone I can select a WiFi connection and then specify whether it is metered or non-metered but I see no such setting on the Mi Box or DSV Now on the box.

pcb
Anime

Mobile data warning on Android TV

20190912_173115.jpg

Just got a new Xiaomi Mibox S and getting this message every time I start a stream. 

Device is running Android TV 8.1.0 and my other, slightly older Mibox running Android TV 8.0 doesn't do this.

DSTV Now live chat said they can't help because it is a device issue but no other apps do this and there is no option in the DSTV Now app to disable this.

The device doesn't have mobile data. 

Tags (1)