22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
New poster

Re: New DStv Now Apps for big screen viewing

So true Geoff...

Trending

@Terminator1 wrote:

I do understand that there is live tv, so it will make things a bit more tricky for them....The frustrating thing is that I can't even access the website via the browser because of certificate errors....Smiley Sad

It is not tricky at all ----  It is because MC can't see the wood for the trees anymome.  In this day and age, you cannot hope to keep up with devices and browsers available in the market place, let alone the stream of updates going on all the time. Neither can you rely on IP addresses as being unique to users and devices.

And until MCs section that develop the anti-piracy strategies start think about the bigger picture, this mess will continue. Forget about the devices, the software on those devices and the OSs. Deal with secuity matters inside the Apps for YOUR content and then it will not matter what the customer uses as a device, OS, browser or network.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
New poster

I do understand that there is live tv, so it will make things a bit more tricky for them....The frustrating thing is that I can't even access the website via the browser because of certificate errors....Smiley Sad

BoxOffice

I think one of the main differences is that DStv Now includes live content as it is being broadcast while Showmax and Netflix only has content stored somewhere on a server - so there are different technologies involved. But, having said that, MC needs to find a way to be less restrictive if they are going to want to compete with others.

Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
New poster

Interestingly, I checked on my "old" uhd tv and I have apps that work for Showmax and Netflix.....as stated earlier, the supersport app on there doesn't work anymore. I tried to access now.dstv.com via the tv's browser last night, but keep getting a certificate error from the website, causing the tv not to properly load the page....I wanted to watch a program on catchup via the decoder, but it wasn't loaded yet, so I tried the browser to no avail......The DSTV Now app via my phone can cast to my Google Chromecast dongle, but not directly to my tv, which is very frustrating, as I can stream youtube and netflix directly from my phone to my tv on the same network, but not the dstv now app.

Trending

@krugie wrote:

@Optimist wrote:

They won't learn, so reality will force them to learn.

Exactly - but Netflix will get the blame (again).

Yes!  MC dont seem to want to realise that the more complicated they make their security setups, the more they are isolating themselves from their users. And those with evil intent don't care about any of these things.  They still forge ahead with whatever dirty tricks they plan because the know how to hack these things. So, in the end, all the BS just makes it almost impossible for an ordinary oke who just wants to access the services he is paying for, to do so. Most of the persons out there have no clue about any of this "stuff" 

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
BoxOffice

@Optimist wrote:

They won't learn, so reality will force them to learn.

Exactly - but Netflix will get the blame (again).

Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
New poster

All true....I'm not that bothered to have an app for my smart tv, as I have the decoder currently....Smiley Happy

Red Carpet

@krugie wrote:

There is no need to over-complicate things...

No doubt caused by their security psychosis again. They won't learn, so reality will force them to learn.

BoxOffice

Apps for Netflix - and I think possibly even Showmax - work on just about any Smart TV. There is no need to over-complicate things - especially not if they intent to compete with the likes of Netflix. The proposed online-only offering will already be years behind and uncompetitive at time of launch if it doesn't support all Smart TVs.