Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

1-minute overlap problem back...

15 REPLIES 15
Red Carpet

Re: 1-minute overlap problem back...

It is a regular (and very irritating) BBC Brit issue though - many evening programs starting or finishing one or two minutes before or after the hour.

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Showmaxed

@Optimist wrote:

Please could the BBC be informed that their regular 1 minute overlap start time of 19:59 (S.A. time) for The Graham Norton Show on BBC Brit will cause interference for many from the 30th of July when the popular latest series of Elementary starts on M-City, as its end time is expected to be 1 minute later @  20:00...

Nope... turns out that Graham Norton is now finished for this season (returns Sept. or later), but I'm sure MC & co. are getting what we mean.

Nothing wrong with a big company's ads and other biz involvements, just be fair when it comes to customer needs and without having to be asked please. I'm done.

Showmaxed

Please could the BBC be informed that their regular 1 minute overlap start time of 19:59 (S.A. time) for The Graham Norton Show on BBC Brit will cause interference for many from the 30th of July when the popular latest series of Elementary starts on M-City, as its end time is expected to be 1 minute later @  20:00.

This would then make it impossible to set series based recordings for both weekly premieres on the same record-one decoder (which most people likely have). Either a later repeat broadcast of one or a recurring manual recording schedule of one is then required under current regular conditions, which is extra effort, annoying, and not something all users will understand properly.

Some feedback would be most welcome, many thanks.

Showmaxed

I think the pushed for and increasing on screen advertising of various types that's out of control needs another mention, an unexpected great example has fallen into my lap.

MC will likely say it's necessary with today's costs, but the fact that their "shareholders" pressure them does not make the extremes practiced any more right, MC make a very healthy profit.

What they forget is who it's for and how much they could in theory do damage to the whole entertainment service, which would then affect all of us... and that's why some of us put up a fight.

I've thought long and hard about if I should be posting this picture below, decided it has much positive to offer all.

1. It is NOT meant as an encouragement for others MC, most people know about such services. But that's what the orange marks are for, so I can't be accused of aiding piracy.

2. It's also still a grey area as far as I know, as people are paying for services. The issue is a geographic one, which makes less and less sense to most on a borderless internet.

3. This is not posted to hurt MC's business either, as already mentioned it's hardly likely to be unknown to most, and my next point explains why I posted it.

4. We (MC included) should mostly realise further from this that the advertising world has gone mad. For example we see portions of some sports playing fields now covered by over eager companies pushing their services, distracting neon and other signs everywhere, and little or no control worth mentioning.

Is this eTV's fault? No, how can they monitor the flexible ads Google supplies?

Is this Google's fault? Perhaps... it's hardly practical for them to monitor properly either, as they would no doubt claim themselves, but they must also be responsible anyway for ensuring this kind of thing doesn't happen. It is happening because they're so immersed in crazy extreme degrees of advertising everywhere.

And now it comes back and bites the same corporate world in the rear.

legal ad or not (2).jpg

If anyone chooses to discuss this here, please be VERY careful about what you say in public on MC's turf.

Showmaxed

And now the cherry on the cake, as so many here would have witnessed tonight (Sunday);

Carte Blanche was advertised the whole week as extended this week, with the end time at 20:31

But it was brought to an end @20:03 for some reason (we haven't seen it yet), and guess what the replacement filler's end time was... 20:31

Who do you think you're fooling people?!? What a joke!!

Showmaxed

Friday night on 101 lists the new series In The Dark which is on for 1 hour (21:00 - 22:00), but its repeat in the early hours of Sunday morning, when ads are less broadcast, is scheduled for 1 hour and 10 minutes

(2:35 - 3:45)...

Why does this long established organisation and channel appear to now be so useless with the basics?!?

Showmaxed

A day later, tonight's popular The Orville on 115 M-City is now scheduled to start 2 min. late and end 1 min. late.

And every Sat. night's Deutschland on 101 M-Net is at a completely different time. Next week it actually only surfaces after we've moved into Sunday!

Not good enough at all, for many reasons, including those who choose to record without or beyond a PVR decoder who are being completely forgotten.

Red Carpet

@krugie wrote:

My Kitchen Rules Aus, episode 1 on Monday, finished at 19H02.

I see tonight's episode starts at 17H25 (finishing 19h00) instead of 17H30 so hopefully that was a once-off issue.

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Red Carpet

Overruns on the FTA channels causes many a movie to be cut off even with a 10-minute Buffer. Recently, a movie on SABC 1 even with a 30-minute buffer failed to record completely!

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Highlighted
Red Carpet

@Optimist wrote:

And M-Net also has their reality program nonsense overruns making a further complication with this, but haven't personally seen that for a while, has it stopped?

My Kitchen Rules Aus, episode 1 on Monday, finished at 19H02.