cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Curiosity Stream coming soon on DStv?

4 REPLIES 4
Showmaxed

Re: Curiosity Stream coming soon on DStv?

In the interests of better knowledge among all of us, here's more that I can add about this;

@Insidus wrote:

I remember picking up Nina TV and Viasat Life only for the channel to launch outside South Africa and no one found it after it launched with this German channel (DaVinci) its more complicated. Some of those regional channels in the 270 section were available on DStv in other markets long before they made it visible here for some reason even if its not accessible. When Nina and Viasat got booted in Africa they magically popped up in that test channel section. I don't see those regional African channels coming anytime soon on DStv here considering how many people will be interested in those channels it would make their promo channel look better. 

Nina, Viasat Life, and there was also Trigger TV, were all added for many or all in ROA as a reward for those of them who kept their subscriptions going I think for 3 months or longer and paid in time. It was never meant for S.A. at all, and had strict rules - no others got it, not even VIPs that get free service from MC / MCA were allowed access in their agreement with the supplier, it was only for that ROA purpose.

But anyway those channels were low grade, by mosts' standards (except perhaps Nina, another telemundo soap channel, may have been considered good by those into the genre).

I presume their supply was cancelled due to not doing the job well enough, but don't know.

Often (usually always), when a channel is cancelled it then ends up in the "test section", so that doesn't mean anything. Most of the time they leave it there, sometimes they remove it later or use that setup for a new unrelated channel.

Re your mention; "Some of those regional channels in the 270 section were available on DStv in other markets long before they made it visible here for some reason even if its not accessible."

You've got that completely wrong. I am able to technically monitor ALL that's offered on MC / MCA's DStv southern Africa satellites IS20 & IS36 (and at least one other well know Forumite can also see all of this) - have had this ability for over 15 years! And... those channels were never included as part of the DStv services beforehand, when they were added in the last couple of years they were immediately visible to all (those that are).

What did happen many years before is that the primary regional channels were then added, but the listing of most was never visible.

These channels are simply like SABC in nature, specific to each country, nothing of real interest and only blocked due to studio / supplier rights regarding geographical boundaries.

The rights are sometimes strange - for instance, we can see Lesotho TV, but they can't see SABC.

Showmaxed

Much of what you just posted now isn't actually so, but not serious as it's largely not things people will worry about. Never mind how I know, people here who know me will know I only say that as over time I have determined facts supporting it.

Please try to state when you're speculating, else it can look like you know when you don't and confuse, thanks.

What must just be mentioned - that isn't a purely test channel area. Supersport 13 is not a test channel, probably just being stored there for future use and has been in use at times for years. And 99FM is old, I think delayed, and not even planned for this country.

I'm not planning to "challenge" you again, not my job and the regulars are aware of your approach by now.

Telenovela

List of channels in the test channel section:

-AfrikaNews

-99FM

-Supersport 13

-Fashion One

-CBS Justice (I guess MC caught up to me)

-Curiosity Stream

Da Vinci Kids is visible on my decoder I remember picking up Nina TV and Viasat Life only for the channel to launch outside South Africa and no one found it after it launched with this German channel (DaVinci) its more complicated. Some of those regional channels in the 270 section were available on DStv in other markets long before they made it visible here for some reason even if its not accessible. When Nina and Viasat got booted in Africa they magically popped up in that test channel section. I don't see those regional African channels coming anytime soon on DStv here considering how many people will be interested in those channels it would make their promo channel look better. 

Showmaxed

There's more posted in the Series forum section, which now includes the basic facts about ALL new channels coming soon from a MC Twitter Mod :-)

BTW, there's another couple of channels under investigation (which haven't been mentioned on the forum yet) that can be "spotted" on some decoders... but remember that they don't always pass the testing stage done by MC, or can sometimes take even YEARS to arrive - these are things we've learnt from the managers through the years.

Anyway... one seems to be another African based news channel, can't think why that's needed though. The other looks like another fashion channel, perhaps due to some being unhappy with the current African-based one that replaced the previous popular one. Both are also coded for S.A., if that still means something...

Highlighted
Telenovela

Curiosity Stream coming soon on DStv?

I did some digging on this mystery channel from the I-plate section and this could be one of two new channels coming on DStv its called Curiosity Stream besides it being a streaming service they offer a linear channel and it highlights everything DStv mentioned on the two new channels: blue chip documentaries, history and factual reality shows. Not to mention the programs that are listed on this channel through the i-Plate can be found on this "GLOBAL" platform.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/as-global-subscribers-near-the-one-million-mark-curiosityst...