Did you mean: 
Need help?

Day 8 of EPG blank today

SOLVED
20 REPLIES
Highlighted
Trending

Re: Day 8 of EPG blank today

Day 8 missing again on Explora 1, and signs of trouble on older decoders as well.

Info for that day is on the online guide so should just be a small issue.

EDIT: Was finally fixed here around 12:00.

Trending

More about ch. 299 originally being planned for Hi Band (details are on this page);

@Optimist wrote:

So a confusing press release due to the author not understanding, and that was originally confused by change of plans as well.

The author who doesn't understand turns out to be the whole of MC - this is the first subscription related channel that was probably planned for operating over MC's 11880 "LNB Switching Frequency" limit, which is why they were planning to call it a Hi Band first. They would have chosen that 11888 VER transponder as it's the only Hi Band one (to date) that's also designed for still-usable SD decoders - this would then have encouraged Hi Band capable upgrades in the sub continent.

However, beyond the change of plans, further confusion reigns as in the rest of the world we understand such structure as follows:

1. Hi Band is normally considered to start at 11700.

2. Lo Band can carry the beginning of Hi Band, up to 11900.

3. The new channel could have been further up the frequency scale of this 11888 VER transponder, putting it beyond Lo Band reach (for most LNB's) if partially or fully over the 11900 limit, but that's not the case with this transponder in their experiments to date (seen when that was accessible to all a few months ago) - that was positioned somewhere from 11888 to 11900.

Trending

My last thoughts on this.

I don't think they're out of space on their already allocated transponders, that's just future talk. If anything there may be more space now as some channels were cancelled, and why would they then start using a new transponder in these economic conditions.

So a confusing press release due to the author not understanding, and that was originally confused by change of plans as well.

In the meantime, hopefully the fiddle is at least over which means a smoother inclusion of newer transponders when they do come along.

Just theory though, and I guess I'm still an optimist at heart.

BoxOffice

Saw that yesterday. As usual the article is full of half truths which just causes problems. 

Working with their customers? Ja right. Cut them off fiddle with the decoder sw and then spend days getting decoders back on air is supposed to classify as "working with their customers"?

Ironically, the SDPVR IS completely capable of hi band reception, BUT  needs a sw upgrade which MC have no intention of doing. So that makes it now on the list to be " updated". Whatever that means. Notice the careful choice of words. What does updated mean in this context? A sw change or replaced?

Notice that even the Exploras make the list. Why only some?

Why not state what the issue really is? 

But as usual, try and feed the population BS and keep them in the dark is now a MC trademark.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Trending

Must have been a brain fart, not expecting them to reply either... why would they on their own forum...

Another thing in that article that doesn't make sense (it's referring to the 2P);

The models listed below need to be updated to receive both low and high-band frequencies:

• TDS865IMC (2-tuner PVR) in an XtraView installation.
BoxOffice

@Optimist wrote:

Hopefully MC will respond here and correct them there.

I don't know whether I will be more shocked or more surprised if that happens. There has been no significant response from MC to anything on here for some time now - apart from the channel highlights.

Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Trending

Thanks Krugie.

What confusing nonsense!! Hopefully MC will respond here and correct them there.

1. The channel appears to be SD only and that sits on 11170 H which is very much Low Band. I think the chances of it having a HD equivalent are very unlikely.

2. We've had High Band channels for ages already. What we haven't had is anything from 11928 and upwards yet, for which changing some equipment may still be necessary for some users.

Perhaps they're planning to move the channel shortly, but no sign of the higher-still transponders yet...

At least Geoff and I both worked out that this is what they were probably up to, among other things.

BoxOffice

@Optimist wrote:

Now things get weird - my other concern, ch. 299 was added to all s/c today and appears to be intended for us as well, certainly working on Premium right now. I wonder if it's on all incl. EasyView.

There is an article on MyBroadband today about this being the first channel on high-band - and how some decoders or installations will need to be upgraded to received future high-band channels.

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadcasting/277649-old-dstv-decoders-will-most-likely-need-to-be-rep...

Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Trending

Now things get weird - my other concern, ch. 299 was added to all s/c today and appears to be intended for us as well, certainly working on Premium right now. I wonder if it's on all incl. EasyView.

The question is why?

The ch. number suggests a new "genre", and it's near enough the other regional interests. My conclusion is that it's for Nigerians living in southern Africa. We'll likely never know for sure though, given the pss-poor info we're given on THEIR forum these days...

Anyway, again, examples of this kind of wrong fiddling on our EPG have been seen in the past.

Trending

Ok, I stand partially corrected... this time, I've seen stuff on those 198 / 199 channels before that could only belong to something foreign.

There were also some other 19x examples some of you may remember, I made a fuss back then as well - before 195, (196) & 197 got used up.