Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Day 8 of EPG blank today

SOLVED
Action

Re: Day 8 of EPG blank today

MC: May I remind you that after losing a number of channels in the previous year or so, the Day 8 EPG was returned to us (HDPVRs), with titles AND descriptions in November 2018. This lasted a few months with no decoder problems being experienced whatsoever. Now that we've lost more channels giving even more space, you claim decoder space problems again?!?!?!

Please, cut the bullstuff and give it back already! Smiley MadSmiley Frustrated

Pace HDPVR 4 tuner, Samsung 65 UHD TV, Samsung J7500 BluRay, Denon X3200W AVR.
Showmaxed

@Thoko_DStv1 wrote:

@Optimist Regarding the ROA channels: South Africa is not the only country using the IS20 satellite. There are other countries that are on the IS20 satellite.

Those channels may not be available to ZAF (South African) customers but they are used by other countries and cannot be removed.

Wow, this has to be the most confused answer I've ever seen here!! Why aren't our posts read P-R-O-P-E-R-L-Y ?!?!

I am very obviously aware of the other countries involved, my comments were full of reference to that!

I never suggested the removal of other country's channels, what a bizarre notion!!

For goodness sake, if there's such a bad lack of interest in reading what we actually say, and therefore no real way to communicate with you MC, then shove it people!! You're beyond a joke!!

Now one last time, read it again please - I am talking about BTD's related testing methods very probably causing confusion with this "concern", there have been no confirmations here about degradation of performance on the HD PVRs, this was not done long ago, and you are just helping to possibly prove that this may well have been done falsely on purpose by your business division who clearly want to get rid of the older decoders!!

Stop the rubbish games MC !

Red Carpet

@Thoko_DStv1 wrote:

@Doug @krugie The TV Guide size has been reduced due to the limited memory on the HD PVR decoders. This is permanent.

This would have been the case for some time now.

Given the number of new channels, if the 8th day of guide data is included it will result in instability of the decoders.

@Optimist Regarding the ROA channels: South Africa is not the only country using the IS20 satellite. There are other countries that are on the IS20 satellite.

Those channels may not be available to ZAF (South African) customers but they are used by other countries and cannot be removed.

I speak under correction but I am sure we have fewer channels now than a year (or even two years) ago... More channels have been removed than what were added lately.

Regarding the rest of Africa channels, this is a software/programming issue - or rather a BAD programming issue. There is no reason for decoders in SA to download or contain info about channels only available outside the country. This can very easily be manged by software, thereby freeing up a large amount of memory. As a matter of fact, the decoder needs only to download nothing more than the info for the channels applicable to the current subscription.

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).

@Doug @krugie The TV Guide size has been reduced due to the limited memory on the HD PVR decoders. This is permanent.

This would have been the case for some time now.

Given the number of new channels, if the 8th day of guide data is included it will result in instability of the decoders.

Showmaxed

@Thoko_DStv1  , I have got one theory for you to pass on please;

@  BTD, I suspect you continue to sometimes use internal-issued smartcard access for your subs base testing and monitoring. This will without doubt confuse things badly.

1. Most of that access allows for at least partial access to all ROA channels as well, even if remaining E16 it's certainly available re what is visible in the EPG etc. and must then be in various memories. There's quite a lot of ROA channels adding to the burden...

2. Also seen with those cards, and even if it's a ZAF (S.A.) based smartcard, if it's internal-issued it will get affected by all sorts of odd things that don't happen on the actual subs base smartcards. This is a fact, many older fieldtrialists can give you examples.

So, please only use proper ZAF subscription smartcards.

And for other countries, use their various subscription smartcards, such as SWZ for Swaziland. I know it's extra work, but to do things properly each country needs its own tests.

Thanks for hearing us, we know you are professionally competent but sometimes the obvious is missed anyway.

Red Carpet

I have checked my 2P and day 8 is also blank. With the rate channels have been removed lately I would expect EXTRA days on the EPG....

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Showmaxed

@krugie  , or someone else who can (?), please can you maybe check your 2P HD PVR sometime and see if it's also affected?

I would guess that the long ago problematic 2U is affected the same as the 4 tuner UEC & PACE models, but maybe they left the most stable 2P alone?

Showmaxed

@Thoko_DStv1 wrote:

Is your EPG still blank?.

Hi Thoko, it seems you haven't read the history in this thread relating to this partricular one of the issues here, and there was more elsewhere about it before your time - @Doug  is not having an individual problem, your company has REMOVED day 8 from ALL related HD PVR decoders some time ago.

The question has been why, and as it has now been shown here that there was nothing wrong with the decoders, he is saying that MC must put it back.

Please contact your technical BTD management and have them address this, it really looks like they've made a really bad mistake here. Why are they "fixing" what is not broken??

I can't get further involved.

Is your EPG still blank?.

Action

MC: Do something about this mess up please!!?!?!? Smiley Frustrated

Pace HDPVR 4 tuner, Samsung 65 UHD TV, Samsung J7500 BluRay, Denon X3200W AVR.