Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Failed episode recordings

SOLVED
13 REPLIES
Trending

Re: Failed episode recordings

Yep, I think I know what you're refering to, was then an ugly manipulation - but it's a swear word so I'll spell it...

a-d-v-e-r-t-s

BoxOffice

@Optimist wrote:

And one issue we've forgotten that says the problem isn't impossible - remember when they first started the M-Net Binge channel - they couldn't get back-to-back to work properly and had to put in false buffering EPG entries...

I remember that well yes! It was not limited to Binge though - something weird and uncalled for was being done or tested or trialed in the background on the EPG - so the problems were happening all over the place. It was for a limited time though - thankfully - and not actually the fault of the safety nets but more the fiddling going on as far as I recall. Smiley Very Happy

Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Trending

Man LOL Man LOL

Ja, the original series sw DID take into account the buffer times when reporting conflicts. Then resolved those by eliminating the overlaps, then found issues about how those overlaps were detected and resolved between channels, then ...... then  ....

A long hard road before it got to how it works now .....   on the new toys.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Trending

And one issue we've forgotten that says the problem isn't impossible - remember when they first started the M-Net Binge channel - they couldn't get back-to-back to work properly and had to put in false buffering EPG entries...

Trending

Aah, I recall that now Geoff. Thought they fixed it. Maybe that's got others still nervous.

BTW, for those who don't know, Krugie has both Explora models.

Trending

Yes Krugie, that is the problem, poor scheduling and late changes.

• BTW, seems you guys with your new toys have forgotten how the older decoders worked, where the buffers DID impact on how series worked.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
BoxOffice

@Optimist wrote:

Nope, never had that problem in all my years with the Explora. You're only the second person to ever mention this "clash" idea, and I've never seen safety nets cause an actual clash when overlapping.

Same for me - never personally experienced that. The safety nets on the Explora should never be the cause of a conflict - no matter what length they are set to. Only the actual start and end times according to the EPG are used to determine conflicts. Where the overlap is purely because of safety nets, the safety net will be ignored.

I often record one program from, for example, 19H00 to 20H00 one 1 channel and from 20H00 to 21H00 on another channel with safety nets set to max - and there are never conflicts. Where the conflicts DO arrive is when the one channel updates their EPG to say 19H01 to 20H01 - and, unfortunately, that happens quite often! That has nothing to do with safety nets though.

Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Trending

BTW, each SBR and EBR schedule entry can have their safety nets altered individually by pressing the OK button and choosing Edit. I admit that when I've been nervous of the software I've sometimes used that as an extra precaution when the in-between gap of back-to-back recordings is less than 20 min.

However, MC's adjustments to the EPG sometimes resets these individual changes...

Trending

Nope, never had that problem in all my years with the Explora. You're only the second person to ever mention this "clash" idea, and I've never seen safety nets cause an actual clash when overlapping.

Most here recommend maximum safety nets to protect from EPG errors, and much experience over decades tells us we're more prepared for general problems.

The problem this thread deals with is a known bug by MC, best to read the whole thread.

Trending

True, the risk of conflicts increases because of the larger possible overlaps, but, one has to trade that off against the loss of program material due to the incredibly poor scheduling that is so commonplace on channels. 

I would much rather get one complete recording than many half recordings with the ends chopped off.

Now, if only, channels and those responsible for preparing schedules and the EPG, can do the job properly and then sticking to them, the World would be perfect.

Of course, I have to get this dig in. That is why I will not give up my multi-record decoders until they ALL break beyond repair!