cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

M-Net, M-Net Binge and M-Net City line-up for July 2018

Doccie

Re: M-Net, M-Net Binge and M-Net City line-up for July 2018

"Dystopian" and it's dreary look was the turn off for me. But the great storyline and the way it unfolds is what got me and has me wanting more

Action

@Optimist wrote:

Ok finally got it, thanks. Funny, the theme actually seems less outdated with where the States is now potentially heading.

That is one of the talking points that has arisen around the show - is it more or less likely to happen now compared with when the book was written?  I lean towards less likely to happen, but this isn't really the appropriate place for such a discussion.

To answer your question about what drew me to the show, there's a good chance that I'll give anything labelled as dystopian science fiction a go, and it held my interest sufficiently for me to continue watching - wanting to know more about the world, and what will/did (part of the story is told in flashbacks) happen to the characters.

Doccie

@Optimist wrote:

Nah, not into "brutal" fantasy with surrogate mothers getting in-between parents. Guess it's not for my generation as much, but thanks for the opinion.

I wouldn't call it brutal fantasy more like soon-to-be harsh reality. But you really have to watch it, reading or hearing about it is not going to impress you.

Doccie

I wasn't impressed with The Handmaids Tale's trailers until I watched it. All I can say is watch it and if you're not hooked by the first 10 minutes let it go. I don't know why but I love that show.

Showmaxed

Ok finally got it, thanks. Funny, the theme actually seems less outdated with where the States is now potentially heading.

@BusiN_DStv1, where's the July guide for 1Magic? TIA

Trending

It's a dystopian shows. Of what ifs

You don't want to be a women in that world. But some of them are fighting back  but hey not for everyone 

A beginner guide to the handmaid's tale universe 

http://www.vulture.com/2017/04/the-handmaids-tale-beginners-guide.html

~EXPLORA 1~ ~EXPLORA 2a~
Showmaxed

Thanks but I still don't get it.

What is interesting enough, for you for example, that makes this worth sitting through 10 odd episodes and now another 10? It's clearly widely popular, I just don't get why.

Action

@Optimist wrote:

Guess it's not for my generation as much

The book it's based on is over 30 years old, so it was actually written for a previous generation.   They haven't really changed that much for the TV show, although the scenario described is arguably less likely to happen today than it would have when the book was written (not that it was all that likely then either).

Showmaxed

Nah, not into "brutal" fantasy with surrogate mothers getting in-between parents. Guess it's not for my generation as much, but thanks for the opinion.

Trending

@BusiN_DStv1

Thanks for the info 😊

~EXPLORA 1~ ~EXPLORA 2a~