Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Controlling an Explora 3 from different environments

SOLVED
12 REPLIES 12
New poster

Re: Controlling an Explora 3 from different environments

I am sitting with the same problem, and have been following the thread closely.

I have been given another solution, and will definetly look into this the weekend. I was looking for something a bit less obvious  but still simple to install.

Check the links below. I will be trying the first option

(Build-in splitter with IR)

Red Carpet

Yes will work.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
MJ
New poster

Smart LNB, Yes I had to replace the Explora 1 and as you know, the 3A does not have a RF out - what a pitty.

The 3A is connected, the LNB is connected to the 3A.

So if I understand correctly the RF modulator has a cable which I will connect to the Explora 3 A and then I will connect my RF out on the modulator which goes to the second tv. 

I am used to watching DSTV in the other room without a remote, I switch it on the channel that I want to watch at the main tv and then I watch that channel at the other tv.  I can get a Aeriel King RF modulator this afternoon - it will work for this? (Thank you for your help!!!!)

Highlighted
Red Carpet

Two separate issues here.

(1)  What LNB do you have?

The Explora 3A replaces the Explora 1?

Then the cabling from the LNB simply goes straight on to the decoder LNB input (SLNB Unicable connection).

(2) The remodulator gets connected to the RCA (AV) connector with the supplied cable. The RF OUT on the remodulator goes to the distant TV.

(3) Remote control no becomes tricky.  The 3A apparently works best with a remote extender for remote control, as the tvLINK will no longer work.

Have you checked out the Space TV site? They have Remodulators that support MCs tvLINKs if I remember correctly.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
MJ
New poster

Thank you for your feedback and help.  The second tv, is one of those box tv's, so a presume it is analogue.  According to the attached picture of a RF Modulator, I understand that my previous cable that went from the Explora 1 (Previous decoder) to the second tv must now be inserted at To TV - is that correct?  What I dont understand is the ANT IN (antenna in) as the cable from the dish is going into the Explora 3.  So what must be inserted in the ANT IN?

Red Carpet

If the distant TV is digital and has HDMI inputs, then get HDMI extenders. See hdcabling.co.za for products.

If the TV is analogue, then buy a RF remodulator. Spacetv and Ellie's stock them, so does hdcabling.

MJ
New poster

Good day,

Maybe you can help.  I had Explora 1 and use to run another cable to a tv in my room.  Now I have Explora 3 and it does not have a RF out.  What do I buy to connect my second tv in the room to view DSTV from the second tv as well?  Thank you.

Red Carpet

Space TV, Triax IR link modulator, TFM02

Red Carpet

My apologies!

I have just been reminded of another way.

I have never used remote blasters, only tried once and had endless hassles to the point where I simply wrote off the technology as a bad idea.

The Platinum remote extenders on the other hand work very well.

Now there are two solutions available to make use of tvLINKs via RCA to RF extenders.

These unit are available from "Square Plan" and "Space TV". They allow for RF distribution to be used via the RCA connections on a decoder and the units are compatible with MCs tvLINK technology and the Explora 3A. Not sure if the system is downward compatible with older decoder models via RCA to RF extenders.

I suspect that these units are compatible with all decoders because the IR control signals are fed to the decoders via an IR device placed in front of or close to the FP sensor on a decoder, just like the Platinum remote extenders and RF blasters.

Showmaxed

Haven't heard of problems for years, most or all modern ones are coded to prevent neighborhood interference and work with more modern remotes.

They can take a bit of a fiddle to find reasonable positioning.

I've use the Ellies Wizard for ages, is / was popular.