cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Explora 3 on sale

BoxOffice

Re: Explora 3 on sale

Presumably those involved in the FT process would know what the motives are? Of course none of them are in a position to say anything anyway, so us ordinary plebs will have to wait and see what falls out of the tree as time goes by.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
BoxOffice

No reason at all. There is nothing in this decoder model that makes this a must buy for a customer.

It has a smaller form factor, no front panel display to tell you what channel you are viewing, no RF distribution capability, the same storage capability as the 2A, the potential for overheating unless some really innovative storage development has taken place, and it is the same price as the 2A.

It still uses a smart card.

It is as I said earlier, an inward focussing decoder meeting whatever dubious MC objectives and nothing for a customer. The PSU is smaller, it can't power up a LMX 500 or LMX 501 SLNB as the only power source. It is actually only good as a secondary decoder in an existing XV environment.

I can see plenty of installation issues cropping up.

I suspect that it will start to give problems if used with a 24-1Z switch as well. 

Presumably, it is suited to be used with the new LMX 502 SLNB? If that is the case, it then means it shows MC is discouraging XV combinations back to a maximum of two decoders only?

Maybe this is why MC has played down this release?

One purely technical advantage is that it is capable of being set to use 30 UBs. That is of no use to a residential customer as with a LMX 502 SLNB , you only need a maximum of 6 UBs.

Maybe its actual deployment is intended for very large MUD installations coupled with a modernised communal antenna system doing away with the need for complex installations?

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Action

Why would I buy a 3A rather than a 2A ??

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode
BoxOffice

Decoder has storage capacity equal to the Explora 2A, but no details as to how this is achieved.

Doin' it 4 Tv

No fan, Hard drive or SSD??

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S6   Samsung Tab
BoxOffice

I agree.

Doccie

I don't think it was a good idea (for consumers) to leave out the fan.  Everybody knows these sort of hardware needs good ventilation, last week temperatures reached over 35 degrees I can't imagine that would have done the Explora any good without a fan. 

BoxOffice

I have it on good authority that the 3A does have RCA ports. See the other thread where I will post pictures soon plus some other detail.

Highlighted
BoxOffice

Perhaps posting some decent pics of the 3A's back and front will help with Geoff's query, though all decoders until now have the RCA-plug AV outputs (composite connections). No doubt Geoff just wants to make sure, without that any needed RF creation becomes a real pain and expense.

BoxOffice

My question regarding RCA output?

Does this decoder provide for AV connectivity?