cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Explora 3 on sale

BoxOffice

Re: Explora 3 on sale

Was quite funny on Friday at Makro, listening to a black salesman selling a LMX502 to a black customer speaking Sesotho and trying to explain why a new SLNB is required to go with the 2A that was on special.

Fascinating that it is assumed us whities can't understand what they are saying.......

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
BoxOffice

I have been away on holiday so busy catching up on threads and only reading about the 3A now. Suffice to say I am disappointed that the wait for a new model produced less than what we have rather than more.

Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Anime

The Explora 3A has an HDMI output which is encrpted to prevent recording of content.

RCA ports will allow for copy once of live content only. 

Here is the picture:

Explora 3

BoxOffice

No it is not an SSD drive as I posted in the other thread. Just been past Makro in Silver lakes. No Explora 3A decoders av. Only Explora 2A @ R699

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Highlighted
BoxOffice

@Cya_DStv1 wrote:

Fair enough, there is a heat sink in the decoder to dissipate the heat and it has been tested in a thermal chamber.

Can you confirm that it's a SSD (Solid State Device) type harddrive, or is it maybe just more modern standard tech that now generates less heat?

(I think a SSD is less likely as that wouldn't have helped the price tag.)

Fair enough, there is a heat sink in the decoder to dissipate the heat and it has been tested in a thermal chamber.

The explora 3A supports AV and HDMI for video and audio connectivity.

RF ports were removed as we don't support the technology anymore. I will be posting pics, the ones I currently have are from the prototype.

Doin' it 4 Tv

@GeoffD agree a ssd will make some difference. But even with that no fan sounds like a very big  risk to me  we live in Africa after all 

--Explora 1 & 2a--
BoxOffice

Yes I agree. Now MC  knows this is a forum full of techies. Even if they think moving to an SSD is irrelevant to the general population, it makes sense that we should get some or other statement to show that this is the case. Then we would have at least one positive thing to day about the new model.

Doin' it 4 Tv

I know that this is all speculation at this  time, but the omission of the fan, the lower capacity PS and the smaller size of the decoder all point to a switch to SSD instead of a Hard drive. 

The power draw of a 1Tb SSD is 0.75w compared to 7.5w of the equivalent hard drive. And it generates no heat to speak of. 

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S6   Samsung Tab