Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Explora 3 on sale

56 REPLIES
Doin' it 4 Tv

Re: Explora 3A on sale

@Optimist wrote:

I presume the Explora 3A also has 3 tuners?

Does anyone know - is tuner 3 working on the same transponder as used on the Explora 2A?

That's 11768 Vertical

TIA :-)

MCA David has answered Optimist's questions regarding tuners and transponders.

Now having full firsthand experience of the 3A it may be prudent to give feedback on our experience so far. 

Apart from it size. no front panel channel number display and the absence of a cooling fan it really is a full blown Explora. 

Onscreen there is really no way to distinguish between the two decoders. Currently the 3A is not connected to the Wifi so I cannot comment on CU+ and Showmax but I will connect it up later today so perhaps that can wait for a later stage. In the current Freestate heatwave the decoder does not feel hotter to the touch than the 2A but certainly much cooler than the 2P. So I think the better ventilated design and the heat sink incorporated mentioned by David in an earlier post can cope with the heat generated. 

The smaller size and the absence of both cooling fan and front panel display apart from the pilot led's will make it an ideal bedroom decoder for those that found the bright Led display and fan noise of the 2A irritating and sleep disturbing. 

So just to confirm what David already answered The 3A like its two bigger brothers do have 3 tuners. Tuner 3 uses the 11768 Vertical Transponder and Tuner 2 default to the Transponder of the channel it is recording on.

The decoders being in separate rooms the 3A has  not been connected for viewing in the other rooms mainly because I only got the equipment needed yesterday and it will have to wait for cooler conditions before I will venture it up in the roof for the cabling 

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S6   Samsung Tab
Anime

Hi

Explora 2A and 3A work on the same transponder for catch up content. 

Yes the Explora 3A has 3 tuners like the other 2 models

Tuner 1 video and audio

Tuner 2 recordings

Tuner 3 catch-up and box office 

Red Carpet

I presume the Explora 3A also has 3 tuners?

Does anyone know - is tuner 3 working on the same transponder as used on the Explora 2A?

That's 11768 Vertical

TIA :-)

Re: Explora 3 on sale

@beenyoni - Just to make sure that everything is OK, PM the social media team the account holder's details so they can access the account and check. Use these links 

https://twitter.com/DStv and https://www.facebook.com/DStv/

Trending

Jan is correct. You will be billed for two Primary subscriptions. That is the only reason why the Explora 1 is still working.

You need to sort this out immediately.  The operator who helped you failed to deactivate any existing XV you had and to move your Primary subscription to the Explora 3 BEFORE trying to implement the new XV setup. The Explora 1 will only work with HB via the SLNB IF you get and install the diplexer. Because of the Explora 3 as Primary not having any RF ports, you cannot fall back on the old HB distribution method either.

The diplexer is crucial.

The other issue is that a decoder cannot be a primary and a secondary at the same time.

The only reason why this is working is that the Explora 1 even though it was transmitting HB the HB was not reaching its secondary decoder.

You are also not able to fall back on the older way to distribute and receive HB because the 5S and the Explora 3 do not have RF ports.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Doin' it 4 Tv

It seem that your Explora 1 is still on its original subscription as a stand alone. You may end up with a double subscription at the end of the month. So I suggest you get them to sort it out urgently.

When they activated the 3A after the link to the Pace HD PVR 2P was removed I noticed later that night that my account balance for end Jan increased to R1945 payable. It turned out that I actually had two primary decoders thus the double amount billed plus a prorata amount for the current month for the second subscription. 

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S6   Samsung Tab
Anime

Thanks for the replies, I got the Explora 3 and 5s and asked DStv over the phone to create for me a 3-view environment of which they struggled to activate the Explora 3 and 5s but finally after more than 30 minutes all the decoders were activated. I had asked for this setup Explora 3 (Primary); 5s and Explora 1 (Secondary) but I did not have a diplexer by that time, so I connected the Explora 3 and 5s so that they play over the weekend. Just by chance I decided to connect my Explora 1 so that I can watch my recordings even though I knew that I will get an "E143 Waiting for communication", but surprisingly all the channels were playing. Upon checking the XV settings on all the the decoders this is what I see; (1) Explora 3 XV settings show itself (smartcard number) as the primary and the 5s and Explora 1 as secondary; (2) 5S settings show the Explora 3 as primary and itself(5S) as the secondary; (3) Explora 1 settings show itself as the primary and the Explora 3 as secondary. And they are all playing fine. Should I leave these settings as they are and enjoy my viewing. Or is this a deliberate mistake by DStv to have the Explora 1 communicating with the new decoders without using the diplexer. Or these settings are just a convenient mistake to me. But above all I will buy the diplexer and keep it just in case.

Trending

Yes IF  you install a diplexer behind the Explora 1, to extract/insert the HB from/into the SLNB cabling depending on if the Explora 1 is the Secondary/Primary decoder.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Anime

Hi

Yes the explora 1 is cable of receiving a heartbeat from the explora 3A which should be the Primary decoder.

The explora 1 will require a diplexer behind the Explora 1 to split the lnb and heartbeat signal into the lnb and one of the RF ports. 

Anime

Is the Explora 1 capable of receiving HB from the primary 3A via the SLNB LMX502 in an XV setup? Coz I still want to hold on to my Explora 1.