Explora WiFi Connector

10 REPLIES 10
Showmaxed

Re: Explora WiFi Connector

Oh, ok, then look for bumps on the head instead :-|

Red Carpet

@Optimist wrote:

Well... you could always strap it to your head and see if it gives you headaches... :-|

I have had a headache since yesterday! My neighbours are away on holiday and something - I suspect their alarm - is making a very loud high toned non-stop noise since yesterday morning. It was a battle to get any sleep - tonight it might have to be the couch!

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Showmaxed

Well... you could always strap it to your head and see if it gives you headaches... :-|

Highlighted
Red Carpet

I have actually managed to play around with this a bit and there doesn't appear to be much difference in the bedroom in terms of speeds tests - whether the connector is plugged in or not. 5 Mbps at most and also not consistent - on speeds of around 55Mbps - so likely no extender. The  distance from the router is not that great though - so not 100% conclusive.

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Red Carpet

Correct, BUT, like with all things RF, any active RF device present in a field, can and does receive all signals and sometimes will even couple signals between Rx and Tx even if at very low levels and very localised. So, after 40 years in RF, I would not write off just yet what Krugie is seeing as impossible.

The cheaper the devices ( and let's face it, these MC dongles are NOT quality products), the more the chances are that filtering and EMC screening designs are marginal at best.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Doccie

I doubt if any of the two devices have the ability to extend the wifi signal

A WiFi Repeater/extender effectively contains two wireless routers, similar to the wireless router you already have in your home or office. One of these wireless routers picks up the existing WiFi network. It then transfers the signal to the other wireless router, which transmits the boosted signal.

Red Carpet

I will play around a bit when I have some time.

Doin' it 4 Tv

The newer wifi connector can't be used as an extender. It is only meant to act a bridge. However, do run those tests in your bedroom connection and let us know if your wifi only gets faster when you have the wifi connector on.

Trending

Really the square black box is also a WiFi extender.now that's interesting 

~EXPLORA 1~ ~EXPLORA 2a~
Showmaxed

I think you're going to struggle to find that out if MC hasn't listed the specs anywhere.

Maybe experiment with monitoring performance when it's both on and off?