Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Extra view Dstv Explora2 and HD 5s from separate dishes

9 REPLIES 9
Showmaxed

Re: Can i connect extra view with 2 decoders that are on 2 seperate dishes

Answering in other thread, please only use or make one thread per issue.

New poster

Can i connect extra view with 2 decoders that are on 2 seperate dishes

Good day , i have my main house and a granny flat, both have there own decoders. 1 is a DSD1132 and the other a DSD 4138 (6S). how can i use the granny flat as a extra view. does the heartbeat cable need to connect the 2 decoders, also can both dishes just have its original singkle LNB or must i have a dual LNB

Red Carpet

Re: Extra view Dstv Explora2 and HD 5s from separate dishes

The only other way is to install the antenna midway between the two houses, keeping the two SLNB cables as short as possible, butvequak in length, and then making use of a SLNB. That way, HB will be routed between the decoders via SLNB cabling. The cable distance is the deciding factor in this case.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Red Carpet

As optimist has pointed out and as I posted, a diplexer is required behind the 5S decoder to be able to inject the HB  into the SLNB cabling.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Showmaxed

Nope. Distance becomes more of a concern when via the sharing of a SLNB, and there's no known wireless solution.

New poster

Oh ok makes sense now. So there is no running away from the need of a cable for HB? No other way that doesn’t require cables linking the two decoders?

Showmaxed

@GeoffD wrote:

A diplexer will be required behind the Explora 3A.

Geoff meant behind your 5s. A diplexer creates a RF connection for you - they're cheap and usually available at places like HD Cabling and Space TV.

MC has stated that up to 50m should work with a HB cable. Avoid older cables, joining shorter pieces or sharp bends. RG6U is best for outside use.

Geoff will answer anything further when available.

New poster

Perhaps I didn’t explain well enough I have an Explora 2a and the other decoder is those with an inbuilt smart card and no rf port so I can’t use a cable for heartbeat 

Highlighted
Red Carpet

Two separate antennas is a better option when the distance between the two decoders is large. 

But, XV becomes a challenge because of the HB  cabling required.

You cannot get HB via the SLNBs. A separate HB cable is required .

Presume the Explora 2A is the Primary? You will have to estimate the the length of the HB  cable.

A diplexer will be required behind the Explora 3A.

If the HB  cable is less than 30m then the HB should be get through.

New poster

Extra view Dstv Explora2 and HD 5s from separate dishes

Hi so is it possible to have my DStv Explora2 and my Hd 5s decoder added under extra view but on different dishes. I.e explorer 2 on a separate  dish with smart Lnb and hd 5s connected to its own dish. Main house and other house are some distance away from each other making it impractical to connect both to the same dish. 

Will there be heartbeat communication?