Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

HDMI Ports on Explora keeps getting Damaged

6 REPLIES 6
BoxOffice

Re: HDMI Ports on Explora keeps getting Damaged

@Amiey wrote:

Hi, I have this same experience, my DSTV EXPLORA HDMI port is bad, it's not transmitting signal to my T.V. Now DSTV wants me to pay N45,000 to exchange the Decoder with a refurbished one, so so bad. I had to walk back home with my decoder, now I only listen to the audio play from my home theatre player. Has anyone has been repaire theirs??

We have a similar replacement policy in SA, unless you have a DCC (Decoder Care Contract) on your decoder .  Best you check with your Nigerian counterparts....

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode
Viewer

Hi, I have this same experience, my DSTV EXPLORA HDMI port is bad, it's not transmitting signal to my T.V. Now DSTV wants me to pay N45,000 to exchange the Decoder with a refurbished one, so so bad. I had to walk back home with my decoder, now I only listen to the audio play from my home theatre player. Has anyone has been repaire theirs??

Red Carpet

We never received any further detail so we don't know what was found. You are correct. It is not NEC to place sat antennas at the highest points. The only thing that matters is clear LOS to the satellite. Surge arrestors on the sat cabling is generally a bad idea because for the losses introduced. If the antenna is the highest point on a house, it must be earthed in terms of regulations. If not you may not get a CoC approved.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
New poster

Hi do you have surge suppressors in the dish coax line as well and is the dish earthed. is it not possible that the dish is the highest point and is getting hit by lightening as that could explain why the coax had to be replaced as well. it can sometimes be better to have dish low down where it can still see the satellite.

@doublen wrote:

Please assist. I am currently on my 5th Explora decoder.. Yes, 5th one!

Each time, the HDMI port on the decoder just stops working. Every other thing is fine and pictures can be displayed from the VGA port.

The first time it happened, I had 2 decoders linked together and both of them got affected. Not only that it damaged the HDMI ports on the TV's as well and the LNB. I had the decoders swapped and got a SMART LNB and the same exact thing occurred however the LNB survived. 

The decoders got changed again but this time, we had to change most of the RF cables in the house, Change all the HDMI cables and the TV's and got a Surge Protector for one of the TV's.

Guess what? The issue still happened again only that it affected only the decoder without the Surge Protector. The decoder got changed and we included a surge protector. However, the issue just reoccurred!

I am really confused as to what the issue may be. 

Both Decoders are connected to UPS's which are connected to Central Servo Stabilizers.

Kindly assist house.

Thanks.

Hi @doublen - that is odd. Let's check this with our decoder support team and hear what they have to say about this issue. 

Red Carpet

Confirm that the HDMI cabling is not running parallel to the power cabling.

Then if that is not the case, then you need to take a serious look at your power supply system, looking for reversed Live and Neutrals and other earthing problems.  That is where the problem lies.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Highlighted
New poster

HDMI Ports on Explora keeps getting Damaged

Please assist. I am currently on my 5th Explora decoder.. Yes, 5th one!

Each time, the HDMI port on the decoder just stops working. Every other thing is fine and pictures can be displayed from the VGA port.

The first time it happened, I had 2 decoders linked together and both of them got affected. Not only that it damaged the HDMI ports on the TV's as well and the LNB. I had the decoders swapped and got a SMART LNB and the same exact thing occurred however the LNB survived. 

The decoders got changed again but this time, we had to change most of the RF cables in the house, Change all the HDMI cables and the TV's and got a Surge Protector for one of the TV's.

Guess what? The issue still happened again only that it affected only the decoder without the Surge Protector. The decoder got changed and we included a surge protector. However, the issue just reoccurred!

I am really confused as to what the issue may be. 

Both Decoders are connected to UPS's which are connected to Central Servo Stabilizers.

Kindly assist house.

Thanks.