Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

LNB for single view HD decoder and Explora for holiday home

SOLVED
6 REPLIES 6
Showmaxed

Re: LNB for single view HD decoder and Explora for holiday home

Don't want to nitpick, but as good as it is to see tech answers from MC they do need to be more accurate please.

@Grace_DStv1 wrote:

Hi @nieldv - yes, you'll need a smart LNB. The current LNB you have works with single view decoders since it only has one tuner...

Nope. The 5 series HD decoders for instance have a second tuner - but use of that is not compulsory, just better performing for things like the EPG.

Also note that only the HD single view decoders can work with either Universal or Unicable feeds, and that's why yours is currently able to work and will still work on unicable as well (better choice).

@Grace_DStv1 wrote:

...which won't work for an Explora since it requires Unicable/SATCR and this is only available on the Smart LNB.

An Explora seldom works with SATCR, only with one or two brand names that we've come across through the years. Best just to refer to Unicable.

Not all only available on the SLNB (Smart LNB), but that's the best choice here.

Anime

Thank you Geoff for the complete answer. Will do as you suggested.

Red Carpet

Yes that IS the only solution available to you. You will however have to run two cables from the antenna to the TV point, one for use by Explora decoders and the other for use by your older single view decoder and similar decoders. The one cable should be connected to the Unicable port, and marked for use with Explora and HD series 4 and 5 decoders. The other cable connected to the universal port for use with all other single view decoders. That will be a complete solution. If you retain the existing cable only, then it should be connected to the Unicable port and will ONLY support SATCR decoders, Exploras, and HD series 4 and 5 decoders.  

No need to approach an installers UNLESS youdo not want to do the SLNB installation yourself. The cable is okay provided it is in good condition.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM

It can, however you'll need to confirm that with your accredited installer. Visit https://selfservice.dstv.com/InstallationHelp/Installers to search for one in your area. 

Anime

Thank you, will the existing cable still work? Or do I need to replace that as well?

Hi @nieldv - yes, you'll need a smart LNB. The current LNB you have works with single view decoders since it only has one tuner, which won't work for an Explora since it requires Unicable/SATCR and this is only available on the Smart LNB.

Highlighted
Anime

LNB for single view HD decoder and Explora for holiday home

Hi, 

At my holiday home then I'm renting out I have a normal old-school LNB and a Single View HD decoder that works when I switch using Holiday Home.

However, it doesn't work when customers bring their own Explora decoder and plug it in.

What is my best option so that my single view decoder will still work but Explora's will also work? Can I just replace my LNB with a smart LNB?

Thanks,

Niel