Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Losing heartbeat to 2nd and 3rd Xtraview Decoder

SOLVED
Red Carpet

Re: Losing heartbeat to 2nd Xtraview Decoder

Assume you have an Explora 1? As the HDPVR 2P cannot receive HB via the SLNB, there is no need for the two Diplexers. Are you sure they are Diplexers and not splitters? do you want the flat and the house to be able to see content via RF from both decoders? 

IF NOT then simplify the install by:

1. connecting RF OUT at the Explora direct to the TV in the bedroom and connect the HB cable to the RF IN port.

2. Do the same in the flat.

This will ensure lowest possible cable losses.

If you want to share content from the Explora in the flat then let me know and we can change the connections to get that to work. 

Keep those diplexers but post the make and model numbers for us.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Red Carpet

Get rid of the diplexer(s), you do not need it.

Connect the heartbeat (HB) cable to RF In, and only use RF Out for the TV there.

EDIT: Confusing, perhaps conflicting info since so IMO this should be looked at by an installer.

New poster

Good day My name is Juandre, I just want to confirm my connections as I am loosing HB 

I have a explorer and a HDPVR 2

The explorer is the primary (Lounge) and HDPVR secondary (Flat) 

Smart LMB - 1 line run to the explorer, 1 Line run to the HDPVR 

Explorer - RF out I have a diplexer running 1cable to the HDPVR and 1 cable to the main bedroom TV

HDPVR same set up 1 line in from the dish (Flat lounge)

RF out I have a diplexer running 1cable to the explorer and one to the Flat bedroom TV  

But then I loose the HB if I take the HB cable from the deplexer in the flat and plug it directly onto the HDPVR RF out the there is a HB again. 

Please advise 

Red Carpet

Re: Losing heartbeat to 2nd and 3rd Xtraview Decoder

(I managed to locate and find where this original response to OP's question was dumped by this dysfunctional Community software. So, belated as it is here is my original post shortly after OP posted his original query).

Some comments on this type of install.

The Explora 1 decoders and the 4U (4136) Single view HD decoders all require diplexers IF the intention is to use the SLNB to route HB.

The Best connection method is to use the RF IN ports on all the decoders for this purpose.

It was clearly stated on the old forum that this method is NOT ideal IF RF distribution is also in use, because of:

1. The HB transmitter is not powerful enough to drive both via the SLNB and via the RF OUT ports at the same time. ( Note that HB is transmitted via the selected port in the settings menu, which should be set as RF IN on the Primary).  The HB is received on either the RF IN port OR on the RF OUT port, and NO setting is required here for this).
  2. The possibility of interference exist IF you try and run both at the same time as there is always coupling between the RF port on the decoders.
  3. The cable distances to ALL the decoders should be approximately the same length and not more than 20 metres.

Hence IF the intention is to also use RF distribution, then it is better to route the HB via the RF distribution only.

Now it comes to the RF distribution.  It all depends on the type of SLX splitter you are using to achieve the 6 viewing environments. 3 areas with decoders in them, all connected via AV or HDMI, and 3 others getting signal from the RF OUT ports on the decoders.

The correct SLX splitters to use for this purpose are the 3 IN x OUT SLX splitters as these isolate the HB path from the RF distribution.

Please tell us which SLX splitter/s you used and how these were installed. You should NOT end up with a situation where the HB  signal coupled somehow to the IN ports and OUT ports on the SLX splitter, because you will attenuate a signal that is already pretty weak anyway.

IF SLX splitters with 2 IN ports are used, you need to COMBINE two RF OUT signals from 2 decoders via a T-piece first. In this case ONLY ONE of the decoders must have tvLINK power on.  This signal is then connected to the one port on a SLX splitter, and the 3rd decoder's RF OUT is connected to the other RF IN port on the SLX splitter.

You cannot easily use 1 IN SLX splitters to connect HB together, because the power of the SLX splitter is precisely because it blocks HB from travelling through the SLX splitter.

So please confirm which SLX splitters (make and model) and how they have been interconnected and connected to the 3 decoders and the TVs..

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Red Carpet

@Eloosifwrote:

I was hoping the moderated reply from yesterday will have been released. Good info for others.

Still trying to work out what went wrong. It seems I may have exceeded the maximum number of characters for the post, hence why it ended up not being displayed but still managed to be sent to you via e-mail.  Maybe you could send the post back to me via email? See my PM to you.

Highlighted
Anime

I was hoping the moderated reply from yesterday will have been released. Good info for others.

Red Carpet

Cost and not wanting to invest in the tools required will be the reasons. Compression connectors are by far the best, especially for connectors exposed to the elements. So what you had then was a vrot connection somewhere dragging down the signals ....

Anime

Thank you GeoffD and Optimist. Your collective replies helpde me clean the conifgurations & faith in the ability of the splitter pointed me in the right direction.

I have today managed to connect the original 3 TVs  to the SLx3x4 splitter. Configuration has been running for 9 hours with no interruptions. To max the splitter ouputs I have been running a 4th TV for the past 3 hours with no interruptions.

I have today managed to connect the original 3 TVs  to the SLx3x4 splitter. Configuration has been running for 9 hours with no interruptions. To max the splitter ouputs I have been running a 4th TV for the past 3 hours with no interruptions.

I removed the diplexers and replaced all the six F-connectors in the ceiling with compression type F-connectors and voila!!! Not sure why the original installer didn't use them in the first place :-(

Will be replacing the rest of connectors for good measure.

Anime

I did get your post via email. Very insightful - quick question

( Note that HB is transmitted via the selected port in the settings menu, which should be set as RF IN on the Primary)

How does one do this on the Explora?

How did I attach two images?: I selected them together in the window (using Ctrl+click) and then clicked on open.

Splitter name:

I bought the splitter at HDCabling. Doesnt have a name on it just SLx 3 x 4. It has the 3inputs & 4 outputs. The 4th input is mark DC9v, i didnt use that one.

1st diagram:

The heartbeat was connected to RFIn ports on all three.

2nd diagram:

Diplexer is connected to Satellite and RFIn. RFOut is connected to the SLx 3 x 4.

Red Carpet

I made a long post about connecting via SLX splitters but it seems it has been marked for moderation.

In the meantime, how did you get the two attachments to show?

And what is the make and model of that SLX splitter.

In the first diagram, surely you did not try and combine the RF IN signals through an SLX splitter?

In the second, you do not show which decoder ports are used.