Did you mean: 
Need help?

On/Off Timer

10 REPLIES 10
Showmaxed

Re: On/Off Timer

I will just answer this new part added;

@rock4us2 wrote:

Coupled with its short recording times of the tapes and the better Timer on VCRs, Betamax was left in the dust.

Not related to your first statement, but yes the tapes were shorter for a short while until Betamax came out with longer tapes and an extended record / playback system. It will have had an affect, but not the main defeating one. Exaggerated marketing has caused quite a few less able products to grab the market, although in this case there wasn't a big difference so people didn't really lose out.

As discussed before, "Better Timer on VCR's" remains nonsense in respect of VHS being better than Betamax, but from your wording it looks like they were just referring to ALL VCR's having improved timers. Not going to look, but to me that says it's just about Betamax naturally not yet able to take advantage of the longer timer options before the longer tapes and modes made it practical.

Certainly the term "VCR" (a general Video Cassette Recorder) does not mean "VHS" (the brand type).

So it looks like a misunderstanding of meaning is all this is about...

Last from me - a decoder with an EPG is too different and improved from a VCR so your justification is not likely to sway MC.

How do I know? A long term understanding of the industry and its workings and what goes on. That's not intimidation.

Showmaxed

I'm not going to answer you anymore - there's been no intimidation from me, you're just being a know-it-all again, and seldom say thank you for help given. You cannot always rely on much of what's out there, ever heard of false news etc.??

As I said, something I've got a lot of past experience and involvement with. As has Geoff. Believe what you want, and no hard feelings ;-)

EDIT: See next post - your last quote gave the clue as to what happened here, not false news but rather a misunderstanding by you of the wording.

Doccie

@GeoffD wrote:

My Sony Betamax machine which was a hi fi machine , had a timer. So where that guy is getting his facts from, only he knows. The vcr was a brilliant machine and the only reason why I scrappedcitis because the drive mechanism gave in. That machine outlasted 3 VHS recorders. It was the very first Sony Betamax machine released for home use in SA. 

Okay its an over dramatisation that Beta didnt have a timer but before home video was even a thing the true purpose of VHS or Betamax was to record shows off the TV and this was the undoing of Beta. Coupled with its short recording times of the tapes and the better Timer on VCRs, Betamax was left in the dust.

Red Carpet

My Sony Betamax machine which was a hi fi machine , had a timer. So where that guy is getting his facts from, only he knows. The vcr was a brilliant machine and the only reason why I scrappedcitis because the drive mechanism gave in. That machine outlasted 3 VHS recorders. It was the very first Sony Betamax machine released for home use in SA. 

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Highlighted
Doccie

@Optimist wrote:

@rock4us2 wrote:

I saw a video of why Betamax failed and one of the biggest reasons is lack of a Timer.

Whatever you saw, you've got it wrong. I was extensively involved with both commercial for the public and professional Betamax machines which had such functions, throughout their existence, and there were many manufacturers. There was no specific difference compared to VHS.

The main and only reason usually referred to for failure was simply that those responsible for VHS had better marketing results. It's well known that technically Betamax was and still is the better product.

@rock4us2 wrote:

From a technical point of view i dont see why this cant happen.

Sure, but that's not the deciding factor with MC. Competition usually drives these kinds of developments...

I think before you form an opinion on what i got wrong or right, its more prudent to ask me first where i saw it then you review the information.. You always must go to the smug and intimidation by default i wonder why????

Why Sony's Beta Videotape System Failed--Part 2

@Optimist wrote:

@rock4us2 wrote:

I saw a video of why Betamax failed and one of the biggest reasons is lack of a Timer.

Whatever you saw, you've got it wrong. I was extensively involved with both commercial for the public and professional Betamax machines which had such functions, throughout their existence, and there were many manufacturers. There was no specific difference compared to VHS.

The main and only reason usually referred to for failure was simply that those responsible for VHS had better marketing results. It's well known that technically Betamax was and still is the better product.

@rock4us2 wrote:

Sure, but that's not the deciding factor with MC. Competition usually drives these kinds of developments...

Doccie

Whatever you saw, you've got it wrong.

Why Sony's Beta Videotape System Failed

Showmaxed

@rock4us2 wrote:

@rock4us2 wrote:

Doccie

I saw a video of why Betamax failed and one of the biggest reasons is lack of a Timer. From a technical point of view i dont see why this cant happen.

Red Carpet

Not that I know of. All you can do is set an alarm clock and press then press the on button heh heh

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Showmaxed

No, all you can do is set a Reminder which will autotune.

Would need to be done manually for every day, for only up to 7 mornings at a time.

You would still need a TV that can be separately programmed to switch on at the right time - I think most modern TV's can do it.

The idea for recurring-Reminders was passed on before but I wouldn't hold my breath for it, nor for a decoder that controls the TV. Some Mods have shown keen interest in our ideas in the past but MC Corporate like too many other large businesses have never been interested in developing more than standard functionality except when it suits their agenda.