Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Swopping out 4tuner for Explora2

8 REPLIES 8
BoxOffice

Re: Swopping out 4tuner for Explora2

@GeoffDwrote:

Seeing you already have implemented a HDMI distribution system, you are probably not using RF distribution anymore.

I'm actually doing RF distribution as well , to 4 endpoints (kids, domestic, study) Smiley Happy

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode
Red Carpet

@Luke7777wrote:

As mentioned above, I'm already running a quad , but with the original 5.1 switch. My choices would be 24-1Z or SNLB. First would be cheaper, last would probably be the better option for the future with the advange of adding tripple-view later (and getting rid of that awful mess of 4tuner cables behind the cabinet Smiley Very Happy

The 24-1Z supports tripple-view and routing of HB via the switch and the LNB cabling, so in that sense it is  equivalent to a SLNB.  Yes it would clean up the cabling.

BUT --- the mess behind the cabinet is not a given --- I have an Octo LNB with 8 cables and it is neat and tidy. Smiley Tongue

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
BoxOffice

As mentioned above, I'm already running a quad , but with the original 5.1 switch. My choices would be 24-1Z or SNLB. First would be cheaper, last would probably be the better option for the future with the advange of adding tripple-view later (and getting rid of that awful mess of 4tuner cables behind the cabinet Smiley Very Happy

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode
Red Carpet

@Luke7777wrote:

This will probably happen in the near future. Die 4P is starting to show its age.  As per my sig (oh wait, 90% of it is being cut off) , I'm running Explora/HDPVR in Xtraview, linked to a quad lnb and 5.1 switch.

IIRC, the 5.1 switch might not support 2 Exploras ? If not, then SLNB would be the better option, rather than to source a compatible switch ? Secondly, does it matter which of the 2 is primary ? 

Jan has covered all of the issues pretty well.  Just to confirm what he has posted and to add:

If the decoders are next to each other, there is pretty much no advantage in routing the HB via the SLNB and LNB cabling. In fact I think it adds just another failure point to the equation.

Seeing you already have implemented a HDMI distribution system, you are probably not using RF distribution anymore.

You could consider moving the decoders to other rooms IF you want the decoders to run independently of each other and not share each others' content.  For us old timers on the forum, all of this is a backward move most of the time.

The move to a SLNB seems inevitable and makes sense once you decide to do away with the older decoders all together.

The alternative is a QUAD or QUATTRO LNB, with a 24-1Z switch which will provide full connectivity support for all older decoders.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
BoxOffice

I already have HDMI distributed to 3 points (also in my sig which you can"t see) and RF serving other endpoints, so that's not an issue.  Will leave the HB cable as is and I'm sure the installer wouldn't mind removing 80% of the cables he put in last time installing the quad Smiley Very Happy 

BoxOffice

Benefits would largely depend on the type of installation. If the decoders are sitting next to each other the cost of the diplexer would be a disadvantage. If they are in different rooms then the HB cable can be used as RF feed between the two TV's so that you can watch either decoder of the two decoders on each TV. With a SLNB and two Exloras you can really reduce the cable cluttering to a minimum. You will only need one unicable to each decoder and the HB cable.
Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Highlighted
BoxOffice

Benefit of not using the HB cable ? (Btw, my decoders are next to one another...)

BoxOffice

Yes the 5.1 switch does not have sufficient user bands to cater for the Explora combination. So you will require a SLNB. Although it is recommended that the Explora 2A be used as primary there is in my opinion no technical reason for that. If you use the Exploea 2A as primary you can dispose of the HB cable by using a diplexer behind the older Explora.. The HB signal can be send via the SLNB by the 2A through the unicable and the diplexer to the older Explora.
Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
BoxOffice

Swopping out 4tuner for Explora2

This will probably happen in the near future. Die 4P is starting to show its age.  As per my sig (oh wait, 90% of it is being cut off) , I'm running Explora/HDPVR in Xtraview, linked to a quad lnb and 5.1 switch.

IIRC, the 5.1 switch might not support 2 Exploras ? If not, then SLNB would be the better option, rather than to source a compatible switch ? Secondly, does it matter which of the 2 is primary ?