Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Update problems

Doin' it 4 Tv

Re: Update problems

@krugie wrote:

@Jan-Horn wrote:

The screen shot show a picture  taken using the dish alignment app I have on my cell phone. 

Is this a generally available app @Jan-Horn or something for professional purposes?

The specific app I am using Is available for android based phones from the play store. There are a wide selection available the one I am using is called Satellite Director. The one thing all have in common  to work properly is the various sensors available on the phone.

1 Magnetometer to allow it to use a compass to determine the direction the camera is pointing

2 GPS to determine your location and the direction to the Satellite

3 And I think accelerometer to detect movement and angle the camera is pointing at. 

Operation tips 

Remove anything magnetic land metal like the phone cover and metal objects from your clothing, even your wristwatch 

I believe that it is also available for IPhones in fact the first time I came across it on the net it was only available for the IPhone

Lastly I am not a professional installer. Only a caravaner that have over the last 20 years installed my Caravan dish in various locations all over the country. We camp around 20 weekends a year (do the maths) and over the time have apart form setting up my own dish helped out a few fellow caravaners who battled to get their dish aligned.  

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S6   Samsung Tab
Trending

There are many of these apps available.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
BoxOffice

@Jan-Horn wrote:

The screen shot show a picture  taken using the dish alignment app I have on my cell phone. 

Is this a generally available app @Jan-Horn or something for professional purposes?

Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Trending

@Fourtuner wrote: 

Last night the signal readings on the horizontal channels were: signal strength 94%, signal quality 14%-18%. Vertical channels: signal strength 94%, signal quality 36%-40%.  Today signal strength 94%, signal quality 36%-40%. Vertical channels seemed to stay the same.

firstly, thank you for posting the signal values.

As suggested by Jan,  please check for signal obstructions that might be affecting signal reception at your location.

Then if that has been eliminated as a possible cause, we need to look at the installation itself.

It is never acceptable for signal quality values to be as low as what you are reporting.

The decoders are not supposed to lock onto a signal at all if the signal strength is below 60%.  And for HD reception, signal quality cannot possibly fall below about 85-90%.

Normally, with a signal level of 90% and above,  the quality should be 100%.

The first issue is to verify that there are not any obvious cabling and connector problems.

Then the next possible cause is the skew angle adjustment on the LNB.  With good signal strengths, low quality is almost always as a result of the skew angle not being correct.

You will need the help of an installer to get that adjustment correct.  After the skew has been adjusted for best results and you still have problems it may be as a result of a maligned antenna.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Trending

I agree with Jan here. Maybe we are writing off too easily your problems with those extremely low signal quality values you are experiencing.

Do as Jan suggests and check for trees etc possibly obstructing the signal.  And then just to eliminate all installation issues, maybe you do need an installer to come in and verify that there is nothing wrong with the installation.

Doin' it 4 Tv

I am fairly confident that the recording problems I experienced were EPG Scheduling related and not signal strength as @Cya_DStv1 mentioned in that thread.

All my recordings for that night were on Channel 101 and my signal strength on tuner 1 is 100% with a signal quality of 79-80% but this is as Optimist mentioned currently a false reading being  experienced on 101 because on all my other channels I have signal readings in the 98/100% range on both strength and quality. Looking at Tuner 2 during a recording at C101 the readings are 85/84% 

Those signal values on your  decoder are way too low. Check to see if you have clear LOS to the Satellite. Trees tend to grow and before you know it obstruct the signal to the dish. Wind blowing sometimes cause tree branch to sway causing fluctuation in signal strength. 

The screen shot show a picture  taken using the dish alignment app I have on my cell phone. The phone at the time the picture was taken was about 1.5 meters  below the dish and the little  red dot show the projected position of the Sat. It clearly show how the tree over a few years became the problem.

Screenshot.jpg

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S6   Samsung Tab
Trending

In the past, we would have immediately said that there is something wrong with the installation with signal quality levels below 90% and low signal levels below about 70%.

Now after what we have seen on almost all the decoder models is that no value can be placed on the signal and quality values displayed anymore!

It is just about entirely unheard of for channel on VER to ever reflect such varying results.

I have on my decoders at the moment transponder 11634 showing zero signal and quality while all others are normal with not a single transponder showing values below 70% and quality below 90%.  The lowest besides 11634 is most disturbing because it is the transponder used by tuner 4 for CU, BO, etc, and that is showing values that fluctuate all the time.

The next is the transponder used for SABC 1, 2, 3, which have always been rock solid but now fluctuate all over the place. 

This latest state of affairs is completely unacceptable MC. The heart and soul of a healthy satellite broadcasting service is reception stability.  

It is almost time to lay a formal complaint with ICASA regarding MCs apparent complete inability to keep even the basics of providing a reliable service going anymore!

A few of us have been discussing what is going on and we know what it is.  Do you want us to put what we know in the public domain?  Or is MC going to get back to delivering a decent service??

Doccie

@Cya_DStv1 I just want to inform you that I noticed tonight that the horizontal channels are back down to 18%-22% range but the vertical ones have gone up to 60%. Whatever is going on is affecting the stability of the signal.
Red Carpet

@Fourtuner wrote:
A week ago when @GeoffD suggested looking at the software level, I also checked the signal strength & quality on random channels including 115. On 115 the strength was fine over 90%, the quality was a bit lowish at around about 53%...

What was your signal quality in the past? 53% is way below lowish, we recommend about 90%+ (and so does MC).

However, some transponders are regularly giving false values, such as the one for 101 HD, and under those circumstances 53 would work.

115 HD is "normally normal" - who knows what you're experiencing this week, but when things come right it certainly should be as well else post again and GeoffD can assist further if available (I don't at all anymore).

Doin' it 4 Tv

We are engaging the teams regarding these intermittent issues that pertain to signal. There is yet to be feedback on these discoveries, but we definitely will keep you posted.