Did you mean: 
Need help?

E 48 error on single view decoders

SOLVED
39 REPLIES 39
Doccie

Re: E 48 error on single view decoders

Hi Lenox,

My problem was due to a software update that reset all 3 of my decoders (Xtraview) to the same channel numer (Channel 1).

Setting each decoder to it's own channel number (1, 2 and 3) resolved the issue as I outlined below.

IMHO what happens if each decoder is set to the same Channel number is they're all trying to use (control) the same LNB connection (e.g. Channel 1) instead of one each (Smart LNB has 3 LNB connections - one must be allotted to each decoder one has - i.e. 2 or more decoders cannot be configured to the same connection).

I don't know much about this side of electronics but it appears it's not simply a 'one way street' that the LNB just sends the signal to the decoder. I think the decoder also sends signals to back the LNB so the LNB on the dish would get 'muddled' if 2 decoders were trying to connect simultaneously and control it.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion :-)

Anime

Error code E48-32 dish alignment issue, tried to sort it out for days had to call in someone with a satellite finder and he sorted it out in minutes Dstv and Electrical Cable Guys 082 860 5570 Johannesburg

Viewer

Have you had a look at this post are tried the steps outlined here?

How to fix DStv Signal Problems.

Trending

One would think so but that would be admitting problems in writing out there for all to see - not something we are accustomed to getting.... Even on here (where hardly anyone still visit) the tendency is to rather communicate via PM!

Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Doccie

One would think that they would send out bulk emails to users saying that "If you have "XYZ" decoder you might experience problems "ABC". Please bear with us while we investigate a solution. You will be notified of the solution as soon as we have it, by email, which will contain the required actions you will have to take to remedy the situation".

Or similar.

It's called "Customer Service" and "Public Relations".

I think they're trying to do it via a software implementation but once all the decoders have defaulted to 'Decoder 1' heaven knows how they can determine how many decoders are connected per installation and set them up remotely so the Decoder Numbers don't clash.

Red Carpet

And a special mention re the smaller(?) E32 factor - it's been reintroduced to try make it work yet again and so seen doing its rounds again over the last few weeks, and as always in its entire history, it causes huge problems wherever it is experienced!

Please MC, get rid of that rubbish now!!

Red Carpet

The sad thing about it is that MC is trying play it down.  It did not only affect persons in complexes.  It affected EVERYONE with older decoders across the board, but was particulrly bad for those with the 4 series decoders.

It affected me with my two 4 tuner decoders. To the point where whatever was done has completely disabled the UEC 4 tuner decoder! It will not complete the reboot cycle anymore.  And no, it is not a hardware fault.

Then how do you recover? Well MCs "self Service" options were virtually useless in this regard, Just about nothing was working not even the error section.

That meant the call centre was inundated with irate customers phoning in and the call centre just did not have the information to be able to assist.  My own case (see another thread) shows that despite the best efforts of the operator, the internal systems were so slow that neither she or myself knew from one instruction to the next what was going on. The PACE 4 tuner started cycling through error messages, E16, E48, E32 in a loop that went on for minutes at a time.

By now MC should be entirely aware of the chaos that an injudicious software update can cause. And why do this on the day before a weekend?

Where MC is the logic? 

What errors were supposef to be fixed with this update? Are you actually busy with implementing a system to implement full Hi-band access? Have you done anything to ensure that those with TWIN LNB feeds and older switches are aware of the impact? 

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Trending

Thinus also reporting about the E48 error yesterday:

http://teeveetee.blogspot.com/2018/09/customers-furious-at-multichoice-over.html

Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Red Carpet

Nice post! Great confirmation to what I have worked out  and just posted to help another user.

An incfedilby badly done piece of software this presumably driving the Call centre nuts!

How did I work it all out? Well Jan helped a lot with the info he extracted from his decoder, and even that simple action almost resulted in him going off the air!

I then worked out how I would do it, and then put on my MC dumb hat and worked out what they had done! It is pathetic!

But we are on to them and I believe we are now well equipped to help others

Thanks for your efforts much appreciated.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Red Carpet

@Jacquesvdw wrote:

Hi @GeoffD

I would really appreciate your help.

I have a 4 port SLNB, the Explora 2A and both my HD decoders are 4U

Okay so based on all the sw chnages that appeared to have been made and downloaded to the Explora decoders recently, this is what one has to do to get them all back on the air.

With the decoders all defaulting back to defaults, I believe you will find that the Explora is back on userbands 0,1,2 ( decoder setting 1, if you select the quickset up options).

The 4U decoders would have defaulted back to UB 0, for both.

So now because the SLNB requires power, and because these LNBs draw plenty of power, you are going to have an issue to get them to reconfigure without interfering with each other.

Assuming the decoders are all connected the unicable ports, A, B, C, a way must be found to change the userband settings with affecting or being affected by any of the other decoders.

One way to ensure that the Explora does not affect or be affected by the other two decoders would be to:

1. Switch off the 2 4U decoders.

2. Reboot the Primary Explora, and access the network settings option and select the new quick setup option and select decoder 2 settings which should then set the decoder to use UBs 5,6,7

4. Save these settings and reboot the decoder and then leave it on and providing power to the SLNB.

5. Next would be to now switch on only one of the other decoders. Go to its settings menus ( we don't know what these look like, so you will have to let us know, and see what its decoder number is and what UB it is using. If it is UB 0, find a setting that will allow you to make this 3 or 4. Save the settings and then reboot the decoder. Leave the decoder now connected to the SLNB.

6. Switch on the last one, and go through the same procedure. This time select UB 4 or 3 different from the other one, save the settings and reboot.

You should now be back to all working and should now be able to verify all the other settings including the HB settings.

OPTIONAL

7. Having now ensured that the decoders are not trying to share any userbands, you could go back to the Explora and get it back to defaults, which are 0,1,2, because these are now free and not being used by any other decoders.  Why this step? It is because MC is so fond of messing around with the sw on the Explora, it would be better if the Primary decoder always is on defaults.