Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Explora going to sleep or unresponsive

SOLVED
Red Carpet

Re: Explora going to sleep or unresponsive

Also, this/technology might have change since the early days but the advice used to be that HDMI cables should never be unplugged while equipment are still plugged in - this includes being in standby.

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Red Carpet

Many things can change in an installation without you even being aware of it. A strong wind can slightly move the dish, the LNB might have somehow have gotten loose, a cable can get worn out etc etc.

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Doccie

I will check the signal values tonight.

As for the installation, as far as I know, they installed 1 wire from the LNB to explorah, from explorah 1 wire out to my extra view PVR I believe you call it the heartbeat cable or something.

Where it is plugged in on the LNB I don't know and it will be hard for me to check, again, everything worked well for about 2 years, why it suddenly would change due to the installation I don't understand. Maybe you can help me out where the wire from LNB must be plugged in on decoder and where the heartbeat goes out of, I remember a while back the cabinet was moved and the wires pulled out of the couplings, it was then unscrewed and reconnected by someone maybe in the rong rf ports, I do not recollect whether this problem started from there.

I agree though that it might have been a software change which now is creating this problem.

As for the TV and decoder, I switch the TV off with the remote (power off) not standby, although the red light is on to indicate it has power. The decoder stays on 24/7, well it used to.

Red Carpet

Still, need to check the info we asked for. And saying the install was done by an accredited installer does not provide any certainties that everything is in order.

Pulling the HDMI  cable every night is not good practice.

Do you switch off the TV and the decoders at night or just place in stby?

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Highlighted
Doccie

Thanks Optimist

I will not buy another decoder and hope it solves the problem, I guess for now, I will unplug the HDMI cable everynight.

In future it might now be feasable to start streaming/downloading content and get rid of DSTV.

Showmaxed

MC hardly ever provide expert advice or help here, fortunately those of us who have helped have enough experience.

It was either due to a HDMI fiddle which would have required a firmware update - this is now unlikely as we haven't heard other complaints

Or it's a now-faulty Explora / TV, which happens to have a fault relating to HDMI use.

There is nothing else which can be concluded, except for the slight possibility of a faulty HDMI cable.

Your best cost option, although not guaranteed to resolve the issue (but most likely to in popular opinion here), is to first try a decoder swap. Note that a main MC service centre can transfer content for you to the same model Explora or a newer one, if a worker there says they can't they are misinformed or lazy - then insist on management.

We do not recommend an Explora 3A which has its own complications, so aim for a 2A.

Nothing else can really be added.

Later feedback from you would be valuable, all the best with it :-)

Doccie

To add on my previous post, same explorah and tv for 2 years, all was well, the problem started a month ago out of the blue.

Doccie

The installation was done by an acredited dstv installer, with a new dish and smart LNB. I also have extra view of an older PVR in the room.

It is something to do with the HDMI port, I tested yesterday, as soon as I pull the HDMI cable from the TV, the Explora starts booting and goes back to normal.

Again this morning, it was in that state, when I pulled the cable from the TV, the Explorah started up.

Red Carpet

Confirm. It looks like a failed reboot process.

That means you have a possible installation problem.

We will need details of the install to help.

Type of LNB installed.

Signal levels and quality values.

Connections to the LNB

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Red Carpet

Looking at the photo you posted of the front panel on the decoder, that is not a normal display under any working situation (including sleep mode) so I suspect the problem might be with the Explora itself or the signal strength/installation. The only time I ever see that on the display is while the decoder reboots.