25 REPLIES 25
Doccie

Re: Explora going to sleep or unresponsive

Thanks Optimist

Will recheck tonight.

Nominee

@Dracos13 wrote:

I checked the signal quality and all 3 tuners was around 90%(it does not give me a persentage as the older pvr does), so to me that should be good enough.

That section of the menu gives inaccurate info, you need to check in the following sub-menu which does have percentages;

Help \ General Information \ Tuner Status

Doccie

Thanks Geoff

I checked the signal quality and all 3 tuners was around 90%(it does not give me a persentage as the older pvr does), so to me that should be good enough.

I did a "hard reboot" even with the TV off. This morning all was well, will see what the next few days deliver.

From there, I will have to try and do a soft/firmware upgrade on my TV if I can find anything.

Nominee

Another possibility is a faulty software update on the receiving end, caused by on the edge poor signals. Quite possible despite error correction efforts and easy for it to then cause hiccups with HDMI, until replaced with another update that isn't so damaged.

Even if signals are fine, eliminating the possibility is a good idea - as Geoff has shown there are many possible complexities, and your decoder's behaviour is far from anything "normal" seen before by us.

So this bit of extra effort could get you a result, and I hope it's also sort of interesting for you as well.

Red Carpet

It is just a process of elimination.  MC never stops fiddling with the DRM  software on the decoders, which causes all sorts of compatibility issues with TVs, which MC "assumes" can be "fixed" with sw updates on the TVs.  This applies to all HD TVs, not just smart TVs. 

If your TV has a USB port on it, it might very well be an sw update needed to keep pace with MCs fiddles.

Then the issue is MC insists on their maintenance reboot every night, which is just more camouflage for their bad software which causes "memory leaks", which in turn MC apparently can only "clean up" with a maintenance reboot.

Now, during that reboot process, some or other DRM check is done and the sw then times out because it is not getting whatever response MC is expecting the TV to send, because the TV does not send that "response" if the TV is in STBY, only when the TV is actually on. Now the maintenance reboot "breaks the whole system as it can't complete, meaning any recordings you set will probably also not happen.

So, what one has to do, is to eliminate all possible reasons why the reboot is not completing, which includes confirming all tuners are receiving adequate signal.

If you do not do that and can't confirm a good signal, when you contact MC, the process will stop right there until you call in an installer to do what you can do yourself.

You might be able to get around the issue if you also connect the decoder to at least one TV via either RF or RCA, so that the decoder gets "fooled" into believing everything is okay and bypasses whatever HDMI check is going on. That is the case with my older decoders. As soon as my TV is switched from one decoder to another, the other decoder displays the HD is not supported error.  If I leave an av connection in, that error does not interrupt the reboot process.  

It is all completely stupid but as long as MC has this security paranoia we will continue to have silly issues like this.

Fortunately, MC does not do daily maintenance reboots on the older decoders anymore either.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Doccie

Thanks Kriegie

I will try some stuff tonight and see what the result is.

Trending

I agree that it doesn't sound probable but technology can also act strangely at times. It is quite possibly related to HDMI though if I have to guess - that I KNOW can lead to very strange behaviour.

Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Doccie

Thanks for your advice Kriegie

My question remains, can a faulty cable or weak signal cause the decoder to go into a sort a sleep mode? Remember, as soon as I switch on my tv, the decoder "wakes up" and starts rebooting and goes back to normal on it's own.

So if the signal was weak due to the wind affecting the dish or LNB or a faulty cable, how does it operate 100% as soon as I power on the TV or unplug the HDMI cable from the TV?

That faults will then just show "no signal" on TV would it not?

Trending

Also, this/technology might have change since the early days but the advice used to be that HDMI cables should never be unplugged while equipment are still plugged in - this includes being in standby.

Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Trending

Many things can change in an installation without you even being aware of it. A strong wind can slightly move the dish, the LNB might have somehow have gotten loose, a cable can get worn out etc etc.