cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

SABC going HD?

Trending

Re: SABC going HD?

Both channels already HD tonight (Sun eve).

Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Red Carpet

This is all marketing BS and smoke and mirrors. The move was deliberately delayed to co incide with the soccer world cup. ... No one should be fooled by these spin doctors.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Red Carpet

DTT via a satellite STB was introduced on the Northern Cape SKA area to meet SA's commitments to the SKA project as just about all terrestrial transmissions had to cease in the area. The SABC has been able and ready to go full HD for a while technically.

As for MC? Well they could transmit SABC channels via DVB S if they wanted to but that would not fit their plans as they seem hell bent on only transmitting HD channels via DVB S2 and on transponders on the new satellite. Even the SD PVR would then be able to get HD quality .......

Further, OVHD does not have to wait as their STB is HD . All it depends on is the availability of suitable transponder space. I am sure they will convert to HD pretty quickly if the transponder space is available or accessible.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Doccie

Hallo JeanP and Krugie.

According to the media release from the SABC, the channels will be in HD on DSTV:

SABC GOING HIGH DEFINITION FOR THE 2018 FIFA WORLD CUP IN RUSSIA
Johannesburg, Thursday, 07 June 2018 - The South African Broadcasting
Corporation (SABC) is pleased to announce that its television channels, SABC 1 and
SABC 3 will start to broadcast in High Definition (HD) from Monday, the 11th of June
2018 and SABC 2 will follow suit after the FIFA World Cup in July 2018.
The introduction of HD will ensure that viewers enjoy picture quality that is clearer
and crisper than it previously was with the normal Standard Definition (SD). The
accessibility of SABC in HD will in the interim only be available to viewers who watch
SABC programmes through the DStv and Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT)
platforms. This conversion is in preparation for the nationwide migration of all free-to-
air analogue broadcasting to DTT.
The conversion to HD could not have come at a more perfect time, on the eve of the
world’s biggest television spectacle – the 2018 FIFA World Cup, which will be taking
place from Thursday, 14 June to Sunday, 15 July 2018 live from Russia.

HD awesomeness
Trending

@JeanP wrote:

Really I honestly didn't know that. I thought they are nowhere near the roll out process 

It's just the authorities that's nowhere near final decisions it seems. I think the SABC could proceed as they are free-to-air - the  issues are more around paid services and encryption. Not quote sure of all the detail but some parts in the Northern Cape had digital signal since October 2016 already - I think mainly as a trial as can be seen under DTT News in the below link.

http://www.sabcgoesdigital.co.za

Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Trending

Really I honestly didn't know that. I thought they are nowhere near the roll out process 

--Explora 1 & 2a--
Highlighted
Trending

@JeanP wrote:

going HD means nothing if you can't receive it.

Remember SABC has already rolled out their digital broadcasts in some places - I think mainly the Northern Cape but other areas  as well - so I assume those people will get HD signal.

Trending

I think it will be. Etv at that point had Openview SABC doesn't so going HD means nothing if you can't receive it. 

But let's wait and see 

--Explora 1 & 2a--
Trending

@JeanP wrote:

Doesn't it say it will be in HD on DStv

It does say that yes but I'm not 100% convinced it will automatically be in HD in DSTV - or not necessarily immediately. I'm almost sure e-TV was in HD for quite a while before DSTV changed to the HD feed.

Trending

I read that too. Doesn't it say it will be in HD on DStv, starsat, openview, and the new DTT service normal Arial will still be SD

--Explora 1 & 2a--