Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

* Full DStv packages comparison *

8 REPLIES 8
Showmaxed

Re: * Full DStv packages comparison *

And lastly, the missed Compact itself - IMHO not too bad, on the whole just a bit thin in a few places which could also be re-thought in this climate.

The main concern however, which is shared throughout the sub-Premium packages, is the poor or near-nothing sport offerings re "privileged" sport.

If you don't find a way to really fix this to some acceptable degree MC, especially on these Compact packages, I believe it will be your killer...

I hope others may add their opinions.

Showmaxed

The next one up, the Family package - unlike any others it's a bad shock IMO, basically showing much of what's wrong with the modern MC.

Perhaps due to it being too based on the popular ROA (the Rest Of Africa) Family package of many years, if that's the case, but whatever the reasons it's more than double the price with far too little to offer a number of smaller demographic groups.

It does have some basic Indian and KykNet-group channels added.

Otherwise, all I can comment on from some of that other-user-perspective is what is merely a weak addition of The Travel Channel, Ignition TV, a couple more kids channels and a bit more stale sport, and...

The only additions I personally consider worthy of some sort of upgrade, but not at anywhere near the price, is M-Movie Stars (somewhat less-old movies) and eNews Channel Africa.

And hardly worthy of the title "Family" from these demographic considerations.

The thing is, in this really poor and still unstable economy there's very few who can still afford much luxury so methinks time for a rethink.

Showmaxed

So, who agrees that Access is the new EasyView, for those who want spare usage for the "common" channels or for inexpensive office use?

I say this 'cos it's the first package to now "beat" the free OpenView HD (OVHD) options - a bit more, such as 139 M-Movies Zone (older M-Movies from 104 to 112 (excluding 108)), and proper recording options.

And the price is ok-ish given how costs have increased everywhere.

It's got CBS Reality for the youngsters and idiots in the family ;-)

It's got Nat Geo Wild.

It's the first package with a little bit of beyond-a-glimpse sport, although usually old.

One of the top internat. news channels, BBC News. (I think that's also on OVHD.)

And 407 Russia Today (personal preference).

Showmaxed

I've added a price list to post #2.

----------------------------

I'm almost impressed by Compact Plus, although most here wouldn't be interested in what it lacks.

Here's my thoughts on what MC need to add to the choices, based on forum-regular demographics IMHO;

"Compact Gold" @  R635

Same as Compact Plus, with the following additions and customer-made choices:

1. M-Movies Smile OR M-Movies Action Plus

2. Sundance TV

3. BBC First OR Discovery

4. BBC Earth

5. SS5 OR SS6

6. SS12

7. SS13

And for all packages, how about separating PVR access and XtraView, with 5% of the package fee added for PVR access, and R50 for each XtraView addition.

(For example, two EasyView decoders both with PVR would then make sense as separate subscriptions would actually work right for it.)

(Edits completed.)

Red Carpet

@Optimist wrote:

ThanksCool.jpg

NoRoll Eyes (Sarcastic).jpg, missing from their list, which maybe they'll correct now (*koff*), and then maybe I'll copy the details from them again.

Apologies - I meant from the list YOU POSTED. Man LOL . We are probably more likely to have ALL channels available  in HD before this gets corrected though.... Man LOLMan LOL

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Showmaxed

ThanksCool.jpg

NoRoll Eyes (Sarcastic).jpg, missing from their list, which maybe they'll correct now (*koff*), and then maybe I'll copy the details from them again.

Red Carpet

@Optimist wrote:

Not going to check the audio / radio lists.

Have done so for you Smiley LOL

813, 835, 836 & 838 are missing from your list.

886 has been discontinued

883 appears twice but it seem also discontinued

887 appears twice

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Showmaxed

2019 Prices:

Premium       R809
Compact+    R519
Compact      R399
Family           R265
Access         R105
EasyView     R29
Indian           R385
Portuguesa  R385

-----------------------------

@Optimist wrote:

Also note that the new channels 213 SS13 and 405 Newzroom Afrika (believed launching on Thursday) are not included on MC's lists, and perhaps there's other such mistakes.

No other TV channel mistakes found, just the 109 pop-up movie channel not included - can anyone confirm, I think it's usually Premium only but at least once was also offered to Compact and Compact+ ?

Not going to check the audio / radio lists.

Showmaxed

* Full DStv packages comparison *

[This thread is being moderated by the stoopid anti spam moderator - ignore this line]

I'm tired of us not being able to discuss comparing packages properly here - and MC took away the full comparison option on dstv.com a few months ago, so here's a full list, as per their info, for us to use.

[This thread is being moderated by the stoopid anti spam moderator - ignore this line]

Note that there are many mistakes as per usual... for instance, the last radio channel was moved from channel 922 to 822 years ago... where I suspected a fault, such as something incorrectly being marked as available or not, I've made the text red.

Also note that the new channels 213 SS13 and 405 Newzroom Afrika (believed launching on Thursday) are not included on MC's lists, and perhaps there's other such mistakes.

And sorry about the quality, can't seem to improve it with this forum software.

Full DStv packages comparison.jpg