Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Picture Approval

20 REPLIES 20
Red Carpet

Re: Picture Approval

[line added to get the spam control filter to leave it alone]

Scraping the Lithium Communities site,  I have found a fair amount about Picture Approval, which includes the impact that the choices made will have on Avatars.

[line added to fool the spam control]

Pre-Moderation:

This is a global setting that if implemented, forces all images to have to be approved prior to them being visible on the Community. MC have chosen to follow this path without necessarily putting in place the resources to handle the approval process. Lithium warns against this route:

•  If you are concerned about objectionable image content, consider using premoderation, whereby all user images must be approved before being shown. But weigh the safety of premod against the maintenance burden this places on your staff and the delay it poses to users before their content can be seen by others. We recommend testing the waters without premoderation. You can always switch to premod if abuse proves to be a major challenge.

Next, doing some more digging, one finds that using this mode prevents by default Community members from choosing their own avatars. Further, it now means that if some users are given the freedom to post pictures etc, it now requires individual member profile customisations to be undertaken on a case-by-case basis.  In the long term, MC cannot hope to manage this process effectively.

Depending on what you want your members to be able to do with avatars, set the following user permissions:
    Use an uploaded avatar image
    Choose an avatar
    Use an externally hosted avatar image

This now means a certain amount of "fiddling" to be undertaken on a per member basis, and that may or may not be done effectively at the moment.

The only real long-term solution is for MC to re-consider premoderation, and hence then set avatars accordingly. This will allow MC to manage the exceptions instead of having to manage the entire community base!

line added to fool the spam control]

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
BoxOffice

Thanks for this information Geoff, It seem that the Picture premod option have been lifted but that the Avatar setting which defaulted to " Choose an Avatar"  is still in place. Hopefully that can be change globally because changing individual member profiles will take a lot of work. 

Consider posting this in the "avatar approval"  thread as well. 

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Red Carpet

@Luke7777 wrote:

Might as well try with one of my fav pics (not photoshopped btw... I've walked with the 3 of them)

Very nice!!   Smiley Tongue

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
BoxOffice

Might as well try with one of my fav pics (not photoshopped btw... I've walked with the 3 of them)

cheetahs.jpg

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode
BoxOffice

You are on the map. Your picture came up straight away. 

Doin' it 4 Tv

1463874_447175825386721_437753770_n.jpgJust testing as well.

Showmaxed

You've forgotten what we posted in the thread that's dedicated to this subject, Jan - Krugie had the same amount of solutions as the top solution people at one stage.

IMO they're writing the rules as they go, and not sticking to them. Perhaps just interested in manipulation...

Anyway, wish you luck with it but I'm not too interested in their games by now.

Highlighted
Red Carpet

Easy to prove mark any two posts by Krugie as solutions ...:robotwink:

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
BoxOffice

Yes I have been scratching my head around that. I have also looked at another anomaliy between myselve and someone else. The other person now have more posts than what I had where I was ranked up to Action from Romance (stupid labels) but remain on Romance but only have I think 2 solutions.

My conclusions are the only mayor difference is the number of solutions. It seem that solutions have a huge weighting in the ranking matrix. 

If I my observations are correct then Krugie need 2 more solutions .

Showmaxed

BTW, those two new rankings don't guarantee the proper avatar usage either - all but one person on "Doin'it 4 Tv" are still restricted. IOW nothing has changed, just two of us have that kind of access (which we're refusing to use).