Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

2 Exploras & 1 TV

19 REPLIES 19
Red Carpet

Re: 2 Exploras & 1 TV

Don't know anything about HDMI switches.

In the meantime while we wait for another member to respond, we can check out your install for you to eliminate any problems there may be.

What LNB as installed for you?

Where are the two decoders located? In the same room next to each other or in sep rooms?

How does the HB cabling run?

Then, have you tried to leave out the switch and connect the two decoders to two HDMI ports on the tv or one by one on the same tv if only one HDMI port is available?

If the TV has other inputs, I suggest you connect at least one of the decoders via RCA so that you can do some independent fault finding.

There may just be an issue with the XV setup, that will cause the switch to revert back to the primary when HB is lost on the secondary decoder.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Doin' it 4 Tv

The ultra link may be faulty but it could very well the power supply connection to the mains that is dicey. I would start to check the connection at the mains first. The fact that it default back to input no one point in that direction .

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Doccie

I hope somebody can carry on helping.

Yesterday we got installers in and they set up the two Exploras for us.  Later on we setup the HDMI switch ourselves.

We used this one:

https://www.makro.co.za/electronics-and-gaming/ultra-link-/br-3-to-1-hdmi-switch-323394EA

It was easy enough to install, but we are having a problem:

Explora 2a is the primary decoder and we put that into HDMI 1 slot.

Explora 1 is the secondary decoder and we put that into HDMI 2 slot.

When we are watching the Explora 1 we are suddenly switched over to the Explora 2a. It happened last night once during our viewing and twice this morning.

We haven't watched anything on the Explora 2a for long enough to see if we will be switched over to Explora 1 yet.

Could there be a problem with the  Ultralink HDMI 3 way switch or something to do with the installation? 

Red Carpet

There are a range of these Sinotech models. They all look the same BUT have varying specs.

Mine has 2 USB ports, 1 HDMI, 2 x AV, 1 x RF. It also has a DTT tuner!

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Doin' it 4 Tv

@Luke7777 wrote:

Sinotec does have a full HD 32" . I have one of those in the bedroom , not sure about the exact model and it's mounted on a swivel stand, so I'm not going to take it down to verify Smiley Happy For the price and the standard 5 year Sinotec warranty, it's your best bang for the buck 

Noticed that the specs on this one says 2 HDMI and 2 USB. Mine has 3 HDMI and 1 USB, so might not be the same model

Couldn't resist Smiley Happy Mine is STL-32VN28F.. been in there since Jan 2014, when I had my HDMI stuff done. 

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode
Highlighted
Doin' it 4 Tv

It is actually easy to verify the input ports available. On the Samsung just press the Source button on the remote and a menu with the available ports will pop up.

This is a screen shot of a 32" Samsung HD ready LED TV. It is around 3 years old 

20181211_181009.jpg

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Doin' it 4 Tv

Sinotec does have a full HD 32" . I have one of those in the bedroom , not sure about the exact model and it's mounted on a swivel stand, so I'm not going to take it down to verify Smiley Happy For the price and the standard 5 year Sinotec warranty, it's your best bang for the buck 

Noticed that the specs on this one says 2 HDMI and 2 USB. Mine has 3 HDMI and 1 USB, so might not be the same model

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode
Doccie

I checked the back of my tv and it did have only one HDMI port, judging by the model code I don't believe it to be the j model.  Our tv is 3 years old so the model could have changed.  When we got it we tried very hard to get a 32" in HD but they only came and look like still come in HD ready only.

I just want to thank you guys for your help, we now know our options and what to do.

Trending

@Fourtuner wrote:

@krugie The HDMI combiner you are talking about is it something like:

https://www.makro.co.za/electronics-and-gaming/ultra-link-/br-3-to-1-hdmi-switch-323394EA

or

https://www.makro.co.za/electronics-and-gaming/ultra-link-/br-hdmi-2-way-splitter-361839EA

Is the HDMI combiner easy to set up, like plug and play or if you don't have experience on the technical/installation side of the Explora system is best to have a technician handle it?

Just to answer the other question, if the TV definitely doesn't have a 2nd HDMI port and you do decide to get the HDMI combiner, as @Luke7777 mentioned, the 1st one (3 to 1) is the one you need.There is no technical knowledge required to install. The 2 x HDMI cables from the 2 x Exploras plug into the back of the combiner and then you have one cable from the front of the combiner to the TV. By simply changing the switch on the combiner you then choose whether you want to watch the 1st or the 2nd Explora.

Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Doin' it 4 Tv

@krugie wrote:

If it is the Samsung Series 4 J4003 32" LED TV, just make 100% sure as all the specs I see state that there are 2 x HDMI ports. One might be a bit hidden away somewhere or in a totally different place. I haven't seen a TV with only one HDMI port in quite some time.

On mine the "spare" is called HDMI/DVI or something