cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Another look at MC's recommended decoder signal values

SOLVED

Re: Another look at MC's recommended decoder signal values

@GeoffD , sorry, but explain to me why I would need diplexers if I use the smart lnb which combines the heartbeat into one cable?  That is what DSTV have said, that if I use the LMX501 lnb that 1 cable runs to Explora 3, 2nd cable runs to Explora 1 and the 3rd cable runs to hd 4U decoder.  They said that heartbeat is intergrated in the 1 cable. 

Red Carpet

Yes will definitely work with an LMX501 and two diplexers! one behind the Explora 1 and another behind the HD decoder.

or,

one diplexer behind the Explora 3 and a separate HB cable.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM

I was thinking the same thing GeoffD, because when I spoke to DSTV last night they advised to rather replace the 2 point smart LNB with the LMX501 then I can run all 3 unicables directly to each decoder eliminating the use of a diplexer as that thing will cost me the same as it would to buy the new LNB.  The following splitter I bought was at Jack's Paint & Hardware.  It is in the roof, but the picture attached is what I bought and was told by the installer that, that is how I should do the setup.  Ellies_2_Way_Splitter_DC_Out_x_2__02107.1376667456.1280.1280.jpg

Thanks for your quick reply.  
I have the hd single view 4U model.  I have done what you suggested yesterday with only having the single view decoder on and it will scan through using the 1108 - 6 frequency, but then I get picture, but it only is Mnet and absolutely no other channels, which is strange as I'm on the Compact Plus package which doesn't even include Mnet to begin with.  Then as soon as the Explora 1 (first xtraview) is switched on then it doesn't wanna work. 

Also I am now having problems with the Explora 1, when I use the remote it is double jumping, so if I press 171, it presses 117.  I have the link eye on this decoder as it's in the cupboard. 

"Wow! You want all the decoders to be active under one package linked under Xtraview?"  
In regards to the above, yes.  Primary Explora in lounge,  Explora 1 (firstxtraview) in main bedroom and the hd 4U single view in guest room (second xtraview),  DSTV have confirmed it is possible now with the new smart LNB that 3 decoders under one subscription.  

Highlighted
Red Carpet

The better install would be an LMX501 SLNB and one or two diplexers depending on which HD decoder model you have.

what splitter is it? a picture or a model and type and make, please.

NB: The HD decoder would have to be set for Unicable/satcr and not universal LNB

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Red Carpet

Wow! You want all the decoders to be active under one package linked under Xtraview?

This is the first time I have heard of someone trying to split a unicable signal to two decoders even if the decoders do not make use of the same userbands.

very intriguing.  Let us leave out the HB problems for the moment, just look at the LNB signal settings.

Primary Decoder set to decoder 1 wizard settings 

UB 0: 1210

UB 1: 1420

HB 2: 1680

Then, the next decoder, an Explora 1, would have to use either decoder 2 or decoder 3 settings.

Decoder 3 settings are:

UB 3: 2040
UB 4: 1006
HB 8: 1261

All okay so far. We will get to the HB issues later.

Next which model HD decoder is it? the 4- or 5- series?

I doubt that this will work because UB 6 is not in the group for decoder 3 settings.

BUT assuming that it will this is what I suggest: 

Switch OFF the Explora 1 and let the HD decoder scan on its own and see if it gets through the setup process. then switch on the Explora 1 again and see if the two will work together without any problems.

This is a messy install, though even if it works, we will have to get to grips with the HB issues as what you have now will NOT work under one package subscription with the Explora 3 as primary without some changes to the cabling and the use of at least 1 diplexer.

Please could someone help.  I have had a new installation done yesterday with a new Explora 3. 
My setup is as follows.  New dish, new smart LNB with 2 uni ports.  1 port goes straight to Explora 3 as primary decoder, frequencies for that decoder are 1210 - 0, 1420 - 1, 1680 - 2, working perfectly.  
Then I have the 2nd port on LNB going to a 2 way splitter.  One cable from splitter runs to Explora 1 which is used as first extraview in the main bedroom with frequencies set as 2040 - 3, 1006 - 4, 1261 - 8 (this was done through quick setup).  Then I have the other cable from the splitter running to the hd single view decoder (zapper).  Then I have a cable running from the Explora 1 rf in port to the hd single view decoder rf in port as the heartbeat.  (this setup is how the installer told me to do it).
I then use the frequency  1108 - 6 on the hd single view decoder and it picks up a good signal and allows me to scan,  starts scanning then after 2 mins it stops and gives the error message E48-32.  The only frequency the single hd picks up is the 1108 and I keep getting this stupid error.
I have spoken to dstv and the one agent said I should get a new lnb, the smart LNB (LMX501) that has 3 unicable ports and 1 universal port.  I also want to mention that the installer that told me how to setup this said that using this method I do not need a diplexer.  Please can anyone help??  

BoxOffice

@Optimist wrote:

Are the individual cable lengths from the quad over 15m? If so that could be aggravating the signal.

Probably around 20-ish..  used to be around 10.. then an errant palm tree forced me to move the dish to the side of the house Smiley Sad 

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode
Showmaxed

Are the individual cable lengths from the quad over 15m? If so that could be aggravating the signal.

@Luke7777 wrote:

I'm not lower... 65 is waaaaaaaaay above 60... Smiley Happy

LOL, ifyasayso :-)

EDIT: Please note that this thread's later installation discussion doesn't contain enough procedure info to be useful, and is partially experimental, so best not to use as a 3 decoder setup example source.

View solution in original post

BoxOffice

@Optimist wrote:

That can only lead to eventual disappointment Mr. D  ;-)

As they said, NEVER go lower than the values they quote there.

I'm not lower... 65 is waaaaaaaaay above 60... Smiley Happy  Accredited installers couldn't get it better than that. Might be cable... been there for some time now , since I had a quad installed. Same cables were used going over to the SLNB.  Don't have any issues currently, so not about to spend when it's not needed Smiley Happy 

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode