Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Another look at MC's recommended decoder signal values

SOLVED
22 REPLIES 22
Red Carpet

Re: Another look at MC's recommended decoder signal values

okay I understand why a tvLINK eye is used. 

I have made two drawings for you. The first one assumes that two decoders can be connected to one Unicable port via a normal splitter, but I must tell you this is a very unorthodox way of doing it.

The second is using an LMX 501 SLNB. This option will work.

Both setups require diplexers behind the Explora 1 and the HD decoder.

There is no other way, as neither the Explora 1 or the 4U decoder can receive HB via the Unicable port on the decoder, only via the RF ports.

Please PM me an email address. I don't want to attach the diagrams to a message on the forum.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM

The link eye is connected to the Explora 1 which is the 1st xtraview, situated in our main bedroom. I use the link eye because the Explora 1 is in the cupboard.  
The Explora 3 is our primary decoder which is connected with the cable straight from the LNB, it is in the lounge.  

Also have a look here at this.
https://dstv-installers-johannesburg.co.za/dstv-extra-view-installations/

@GeoffD wrote:

What is the tvLINK eye for?

Are you trying to control the Explora 3 from the room where the Explora 1 is? is the intention to be able to view content from all the decoders at any of the tvs in the house?

If so, there are a few things that won't work with this arrangement.

The Explora 3A cannot be controlled remotely via the LNB cabling. RF signals between decoders do not pass over the LNB cabling.

How are you planning to distribute TV from te Explora 3A to other tvs? Only the Explora 1 and the HD decoder are RF capable.

Highlighted
Red Carpet

What is the tvLINK eye for?

Are you trying to control the Explora 3 from the room where the Explora 1 is? is the intention to be able to view content from all the decoders at any of the tvs in the house?

If so, there are a few things that won't work with this arrangement.

The Explora 3A cannot be controlled remotely via the LNB cabling. RF signals between decoders do not pass over the LNB cabling.

How are you planning to distribute TV from te Explora 3A to other tvs? Only the Explora 1 and the HD decoder are RF capable.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM

@GeoffD ,  I was wondering if the attached pictures would possibly work?  I have attached 2 pictures, 1 pic if of the setup I currently have and the other is of the proposed setup with a diplexer.  

I would really appreciate it.  Many thanks.  Await your reply.

Ok, I hope I understand you correctly.

Will this work?  I have the 2 port smart lnb, 1 cable running directly to the explora 3.  2nd cable from lnb running to a splitter, then 1st splitter cable running to explora 1 (1st xtraview) and 2nd splitter cable running to hd 4U decoder.  So therefor what should happen is that I get a diplexer and place the diplexer on the 2nd splitter cable running to the 4u decoder and then off the diplexer 2 cables run to unicable and the rf in port?  Will that work?  
Cos since yesterday the explora 1 (1st xtraview) is working fine through that 1st cable coming from the splitter. 

Red Carpet

In the end though at least one diplexer is going to be required.  I will make some hand sketches in the meantime.

Red Carpet

Yes it is BUT, the Explora 1 cannot receive or transmit via the unicable port. And neither can the 4U decoder.

So, the HB has to be extracted from the unicable feed and fed into the RF ports on both these decoders.

the only other way is to use one diplexer behind the Explora 3 and a separate HB cable running between all the decoders.

@GeoffD , let me fiddle with those settings and see.  I will have to get back to you as I am doing an upgrade on each decoder using the wifi connector.  

Red Carpet

So, here is what I think.

The setup as you have it will NOT work with decoder 2 or 3 decoder settings. because there are only 3 UBs available in each setting and the two decoders will interfere with each other when you switch them on.

BUT it might work IF you set the Explora 3 to use decoder 2 settings and the Explora one uses decoder 1 settings because that decoder has 4 UBs available 0,1,2,3

The HD decoder can then use UB 3 as the Explora 1 will use 5,6,7.