Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

DSTV 2 X xtraview with 2X explora2a  and 1X explora 1

6 REPLIES 6
Trending

Re: DSTV 2 X xtraview with 2X explora2a  and 1X explora 1

Some other alternatives to consider. 

A visit to Space TV may be really useful as there are a number of new ways of achieving signal distribution with remote control.

There is a 1 IN 8 OUT SLX splitter that could be used in conjunction with the 3x2 splitter instead of the smaller ones.

There are a few very interesting HDMI to DVBT with remote control solutions available which can be used in conjunction with an HDMI modulator.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Trending

So if you are tidying up the installation generally, you may want to review distribution to other TVs via RF generally and go for a full HDMI distribution system.  That includes then using remote extenders or blasters for remote control.

Be that as it may, there are plenty of interesting new ways to extend viewing from decoders to other rooms.

The tried and tested RF way, under-written by MC is to make use of as few as possible SLX active splitters in the RF chain, and short cables.

tvLINK signals do NOT pass through the SLNB reliably so that option is out for remote control.

For full control of all decoders anywhere and viewing of all decoders at all viewing points via RF will require the use of a 3 in 2 out SLX splitter (Space tv model SLX-3x2), plus 1 IN, 2 or 4 out SLX splitters (SLX2-TRIAX or SLX4-TRIAX) to split out to as many TVs as you want.  Those not co-located with decoders will require tvLINKS to enable remote control.

So, connect the 1 In SLX splitters to the two outputs of the 3x2 splitter, and feed each TV point with a cable. Do not try and split the RF OUT cable to a local TV at the decoder points. The signal quality of the remote decoders will be poor.

Clean up the cabling, remove all cables with joints in them.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
New poster

Thanks Geoff

Primary is a Explora 2a. All working fine save for an odd occasion where hertbeat is lost after power outtage or a possible storm. Otherwise all seems to be okay. Would like to upgrade cabling and neaten up the system while I am doing renovations to the house. 

Highlighted
dex
Viewer

I had my Xtra View instalation handled by Activsat, I don't know if they are accredited or not but They certainly did a good job

Trending

Apologies for missing this post originally.

So here goes.

1. First of all, the LNB connections as you describe will definitely work and the HB connection for the Explora 1 via a diplexer is correct for the HB connection to the RF IN port. The tvLiNK signals, however, will not flow this route but through the RF distribution setup you have.

Which decoder is the Primary?  While it should not matter, it would be better if one of the Explora 2A's is made the primary. Don't change the setup if the Explora 1 is the primary and all decoders are working with XV working, however.

I will have a look at the RF distribution setup now and post a separate response.  Your setup is on the complex side, so it will take a bit more to check out and analyse.

New poster

Hoping for some help with this one from somebody. 

@Rambeo wrote:

Hi All. 

I have 2 explora 2a and 1 explora 1 decoder connecting in 2 x Xtra view ( 3 separate room viewing environments connected via HDMI. )

Each has 1 satcr cable running to it and connected to a smart lnb. ( ports A,B and C )

The Satcr cable to explora 1 is connected to a diplexer before being split to rf in and to Sat input.

My understanding is theat the smart lnb does not provide rf distribution for viewing but only for heartbeat and Tvlink commands. 

My RF distribution will be via rf out from all three decoders to a 3in/ 2out slx splitter at a central location. ( equal distance between the decoders  )

1 output will be split between 3 tv’s (one local to the explora 1 output port. )

The second splitting back via 1in / 2 out  SLX splitter to the 2x explora 2a decoders. ( I will split each with t piece at the decoder so as to connect to local tv RF input )

Or can the rf out feed be split without needing a return feed from 1st  3/2 slx splitter thus using the 2 output ports to distribute to tv’s not having thdmi option.

Will this allow me to view all 3 decoders on ANY of the 5/6/7 tv ‘s and allowing remote control from any location via tv link.

New poster

DSTV 2 X xtraview with 2X explora2a  and 1X explora 1

Hi All. 

I have 2 explora 2a and 1 explora 1 decoder connecting in 2 x Xtra view ( 3 separate room viewing environments connected via HDMI. )

Each has 1 satcr cable running to it and connected to a smart lnb. ( ports A,B and C )

The Satcr cable to explora 1 is connected to a diplexer before being split to rf in and to Sat input.

My understanding is theat the smart lnb does not provide rf distribution for viewing but only for heartbeat and Tvlink commands. 

My RF distribution will be via rf out from all three decoders to a 3in/ 2out slx splitter at a central location. ( equal distance between the decoders  )

1 output will be split between 3 tv’s (one local to the explora 1 output port. )

The second splitting back via 1in / 2 out  SLX splitter to the 2x explora 2a decoders. ( I will split each with t piece at the decoder so as to connect to local tv RF input )

Or can the rf out feed be split without needing a return feed from 1st  3/2 slx splitter thus using the 2 output ports to distribute to tv’s not having thdmi option.

Will this allow me to view all 3 decoders on ANY of the 5/6/7 tv ‘s and allowing remote control from any location via tv link.