Did you mean: 
Need help?

DSTV Explora and 5S extra view.

SOLVED
37 REPLIES
Highlighted
Red Carpet

Re: DSTV Explora and 5S extra view.

An aside - as this multiple decoder HB method is regularly suggested with the Explora 1 as well, please could someone let us know if this ever does work as @MCA-David  wasn't able to get an Explora 1 to work via diplexer & SLNB with two Uniview decoders, only with one of them.

So there is the older RF cabling HB method you can also ask about. (In its case you have two diplexers, but then behind both 5 series and none behind the Explora 1.)

Trending

Install a SLNB model LMX501 in the antenna. Install a diplexer behind the Explora 1 to sort out  the HB.

Connect the Explora 1 to port A on the SLNB and the 5S decoders to ports B, C.

Select decoder 1 option for the Explora 1, the 5S decoders will use decoder 2 and 3 network settings.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Viewer

How can I do 2 5s decoders and 1 explora1 for extraviw

Trending

@bradcarol wrote:

DStv decoder extra-view/XtraView configuration that works with New DStv 5 series without RF out using DStv smart HD LNBf.

Huh?  What on earth are you talking about?

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
New poster

DStv decoder extra-view/XtraView configuration that works with New DStv 5 series without RF out using DStv smart HD LNBf.

Doin' it 4 Tv

Herewith the corrected Diagram note the change in SLNB model The LMX502 will not be suitable as the new model only have two uniports The LMX500 will be suitable as well Explora Diplexer 1.JPG

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Trending

There is no difference between the SLNBs. ALL of them can be used! The important point is port A should be connected to the decoder with the best PSU, and the 5S should be connected to port C.

If you do change the diagram list, all the models LMX 500, LMX 501, and the 24-1Z switch. These are the ones with 3 Unicable ports or more. Sure it was just a typo.

The LMX 502 can only be used for a two-decoder installation and only with Unicable capable decoders.

Red Carpet

Great Jan, thanks. I guess spotting things like that is the main advantage of team work.

Doin' it 4 Tv

@Optimist wrote:

I'll add some thoughts, especially for other readers.

The LMX502 SLNB in the diagram is not suitable for 3 decoder XV (XtraView) requiring 3 Unicable feeds. The normal LMX501 will do fine.

We missed that typo on the diagram. Thanks for spotting that Optimust. I am sure it was just a typo because I got that diagram before the LMX502 was introduced.

I will post a revised diagram

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Red Carpet

I'll add some thoughts, especially for other readers.

There was some communication via PM which led to the discovery of the 5 series being a newly added decoder, and which explained the Primary confusion.

The LMX502 SLNB in the diagram is not suitable for 3 decoder XV (XtraView) requiring 3 Unicable feeds. The normal LMX501 will do fine.

Most diplexers are instead labelled as follows, or similar;

Normal usage:

ANT (S1) - connects to the RF In or Out port (depending on user's needs)

I/O (PX) - connects to the LNB's cable coming from the dish

SAT (S2) - connects to the LNB input port

Reverse usage:

ANT (S1) - connects to the RF coaxial cable you will be routing

I/O (PX) - connects to the LNB input port

SAT (S2) - connects to the LNB's cable coming from the dish

The 5 series uniquely uses "Uniview" for its HB (HeartBeat), not understood much re whatever differences are involved with that yet by anyone other than MC but it's appeared best to then supply the HB from an Explora 2A when available by making it the Primary, mostly due to the 2A being the only other model that uses Uniview. I'm sure Geoff has his reasons for going this route, perhaps just due to the install being already set up for that and some experience.

Mixed old and new decoders can also cause sharing issues with HB when 3 decoders are involved, also still being learnt about, so HB via SLNB is not always the best choice either.

And lastly, probably also discussed by PM - all of the decoders' tuners must have independent User Band Indexes & associated frequencies.