cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Elsat/ELLIES

Red Carpet

Re: Elsat/ELLIES

The switch they are talking about is the DStv 24-1Z switch, which is designed to be used with communal antenna systems in MUDs.

The price used to be about the same as an SLNB (R450) but I see this has shot up to R 699 or thereabouts.

It now depends on what communal antenna setup you have available and whether it is activated by default in the units in your complex or not.

Either way, the minimum you need is a 24-1Z switch before you will be able to access the communal antenna setup.

If there are normal LNB and antenna ports available (at least 2), then you should be able to get a switch and install it yourself.

BUT, if the system has been converted to fibre, then it may just be that the BC has signed a deal with a supplier (Ellies) to run and maintain the communal antenna system, and in that case, the fibre unit may not be activated unless you pay. Activation of the ports should involve ONE single once-off payment, as there is NO routine maintenance required on these systems!

And certainly, there is absolutely no justification for having to pay for each decoder or an extra fee because you have a PVR.

Your port of call should be to find out from the BC what the deal is with the supplier, and if you are allowed to install your own antenna. If they say no, then you have a problem. You may find that even getting Internet access is going to be a challenge for you.

Looking forward to more info when you have found out what is going on here.

I can see a very large underground installer movement starting now with antennas being installed that are not visible in complexes like this.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
New poster

Geoff.. Can you imagine this ripoff and what gets to me its done with the permission of multichoice. Ja Ne we really stupid in this country One Company we as consumers give monopoly to.  Out of principle I will not pay that, yes I Am willing to pay for a installation  by elsat once off but haaibo the monthly thing and you know i was  so desperate for Dstv I Paid a full Year so they had a fool.  When the technicians came they then told me about a switch for R705.14 that broke the camels back i flipped cancelled and then then had a huge fight with the Elsat people i wanted my money immediate  but I was told they a listed  company they will refund next week  and I must be grateful tht they wont charge me for the technicians coming out. So it a David and Goliath  story. I pray and wish someone out there can help me.

Highlighted
Red Carpet

Precisely! What do they do for R160 a month?

Buggerall, that's what!

IF  they set up the system properly, there should nothing more to do after ONE visit.

So, the alternative is to try and tell us what sort of connection they have or make available in your unit, and we can then tell if you can tackle some of this yourself. BUT, if it is a fibre based distribution setup, then you may have no choice in the matter.

if I were living there, I would put up my own antenna, and just bypass the whole thing.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
New poster

Elsat/ELLIES

I live in a complex  called  villa barcelona in van zyl street  Alberstville.  To have my dstv connection working  i have go  thru company called Elsat part of Ellies or they are Ellies.  A Company that has authorization from Multichoice/ Dstv to do a service we have to pay  R80 per month for single service  if you have Explora or Pvr like myself you will  pay R160. Per Month  plus you must buy a switch of R705.14 cent also  supplied by Elsat but manufactured by Multichoice/Dstv. As a customer  for over 10 years if  not 20 from mnet days there is no way that I can be apart of this scam and  amout of R160 per month besides my dstv subscription  is just a total ripoff i want to know how can a company like Multichoice have the right to allow this to happen I am aware of the fact tht I dont have to use their service  however i cant do anything with this explora unless i sign Elstat Contract for this complex. They use this explotation under the banner of a global village, they outsource  to a listed company as Elstat/ Ellis where you have to sign another contract with a monthly fee and the products used is Multichoice / Dstv products. So as for me  I will never be exploited by this scam also i have no choice  after years to go with guys that offer fibre and forget Dstv. It is a nightmare  i wonder how many complexes in South Africa  is under this Banner and how many billions is made under the Banner Global Village.

😢😢