Welcome to Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Explora 1, Explora 3A and HD PVR 2P in a Extra View setup.

SOLVED
9 REPLIES 9
Red Carpet

Re: Explora 1, Explora 3A and HD PVR 2P in a Extra View setup.

Yes.

Two decoders in the same room, connected with an HB cable between the two decoders. RF OUT to RF IN (Explora 1's).

The other decoder in another room gets HB via the SLNB and via a diplexer connected behind the Primary Explora 1. I/O port to the SLNB; Sat Port to the SATCR port on the Explora 1 Primary decoder; ANT port to the RF IN port on the Explora 1 Primary decoder.

This will also work if the second Explora 1 is in another room connected to another SLNB port, but with a sep HB cable as above running between the decoders.

Alt Use the 3A as Primary, extract the HB from it with a Diplexer and feed the HB to the two Explora 1's via a T-piece.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
New poster

Ok so how i understand it then is you can mix the two HB options in one setup? Some of the HB are sent via the SLNB and others through the old direct cable method?

Red Carpet

IF the two Explora 1's are in the same room and one of them is the Primary, THEN  the Primary decoder will need the diplexer and the other will get HB via a cable connected to the RF ports on each decoder.

The 3 A then does not need a diplexer. 

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Red Carpet

Re: ExplYou needora 1, Explora 3A and HD PVR 2P in a Extra View setup.

IF you choose to feed the Explora 1's with a separate HB cable, THEN one diplexer behind the 3A decoder will work. Use the 3A as the Primary.

IF you want to eliminate the need for a separate HB cable and the decoders are all in different rooms then you need two diplexers.

New poster

Ok i have managed to get another old Explora 1 from my brother in law he is no longer using it. I went down to the local dstv shop to get two diplexers for each Explora 1 and they convinced me that i only need one diplexer, is this correct? would i be using one of the Explora 1's as the primary with the diplexer behind the second Explora 1 and a normal unicable to the Explora 3A?

Red Carpet

With no RF distribution, the setup is quite simple. Just connect each Explora to one of the Unicable ports. The Explora 1 via a Diplexer, and select the correct setup for each.

Best to set the Primary connected to port A on the SLNB to decoder 1 ( the default) and the other two to decoder 2, and 3 respectively.

Let us know when you are ready to proceed.

The 2P can always be used on a separate subscription if you want but at the cost of another full subscription.

New poster

Ah well that's a bit of a let down, I would have thought the HD PVR 2P would work, no I am not using any rf distribution just hdmi from each decoder into the TV.

Well thanks for your help GeoffD, I do appreciate it.

Red Carpet

1 diplexers will be required for the Explora 1. The 2A, the 3A do not need diplexers.

Note if you are still using RF distribution, then remember the 3A decoders do not have RF ports.

Red Carpet

Unfortunately, the 3-decode combination only works if all the decoders are Exploras and HD decoders. You can't have a HDPVR 2P in the mix.

Next if you do decide to go that route and replace the 2P, then you will have to also replace the LNB with a SLNB model LMX 501, which has 3 Unicable ports.

Highlighted
New poster

Explora 1, Explora 3A and HD PVR 2P in a Extra View setup.

Hello all, i am a new user to this community and i am obviously looking for some advice. I did have a brief look around regarding forum guidelines but i did not find any, if i unwittingly break any of your guidelines i do apologise now.

I currently have a origional Explora ( i think also refered to as a Explora 1?) and a HD PVR 2P in a Extra View Setup, these run through a very old lnb going into a DSTV 5-2 Multiswitch. The Heartbeat is sent via a seperate cable linking the two. I want to add a 3rd decoder a Explora 3A in a 3 decoder Extra View Setup what i would like to know is.

Is the HD PVR 2P a single view decoder thus making it compatible in a Explora + Explora + Single View Decoder setup?

And what hardware will i need to purchase besides the Explora 3A (already purchased)?

From my reading of this community my understanding is that my DSTV 5-2 Multiswitch is useless and that i would most likely need a SLNB (not sure which model) and at least two diplexers in the following configuration.

1. Port A from SLNB to Explora 3A (Set as Primary decoder with default UB settings).

2. Port B from SLNB to Explora 1 (Set as Secondary decoder with custom UB settings).

3. Port C from SLNB to HD PVR 2P SatCR (Set as Secondary Decoder with custom UB settings).

4. The heartbeat being sent from the Explora 3A via the SLNB to the two Secondary decoders connected via a diplexer behind each Secondary decoder?