cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Explora 2A + HD PVR 2U Setup Problem

Anime

Re: Explora 2A + HD PVR 2U Setup Problem

Hello Jan Horn, I will try to get a diplexer to get my system running.  Thanks for the advice.

In my case I have the Pace on the "universal" connection on the LNB and the Explora on one of the three unicable connections.

Checked the drawing.....  Does the diplexer take the place of a heartbeat cable?  What I mean is that there will be no need for an extra cable?

(Another Edit)  The diplexer should be connected to the Pace as the Explora does not have 2 connections.  Am I right?

Anime

Hi Geoff, as the Dstv "help" centre was unable to help, I then told them to leave the Pace as the primary and not (yet) to add the Explora to my bundle.  I will now have to get a diplexer (where do I get it?) to set up my system.  While I understand the necessity to use the latest technology, Dstv is being underhanded in not telling subscribers that the price of the decoder is only half the cost of required equipment.  Thanks so much for the advice.

Doin' it 4 Tv

As Geoff said you will need to install a diplexer to extract the heart beat. Herewith a diagram to help you with the installation. 

Explora 3A  Pace HD 2P.jpg

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Highlighted
Red Carpet

You should have been able to get the Explora 3A to work on a 5-2 switch, with the network the settings set at defaults, which are UBs 0,1, 2

The HD PVR 2P would then have to be connected to the Multiswitch ports on the 5-2.

A Diplexer would be required behind the Explora 3A to extract/insert the HB and to connect it to the HD PVR2P.

With the LMX501, You would be able to connect the HD PVR 2P to a unicable port, but would still have required a diplexer behind the HD PVR 2P or the Explora 3A.

I presume this is what you did in the end?

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Anime

Sorry to hijack, but I have no idea how to start a new thread.  I have a Pace HDpvr and I have just purchased an Explora 3.  I could not get the Explora to work on the Dstv 5-2 switch, so it cost me another R400plus to get a smartlnb LMX501 - which allowed the explora to get a signal.  I contacted Dstv to get the system running as extraview, but I was told I have to get some more hardware to ensure a heartbeat between the Pace and the Explora. Dstv should be forced to tell consumers that just buying a new decoder will cost more than the advertised price because on the incompatability with older decoders - in my case almost the price of a second explora.

Nominee

Very well said Geoff, especially the last part!

But don't get confused by the tech talk @Sat-ire , what I last posted (edited copy is below) is all you need to try.

And then hope both 2U's tuners work, else there appears to be an equipment fault as well which you would need to have physically examined.

@Optimistwrote: 

You keep getting mixed up. Or something.

Will have to be the last time from me re the "SATCR Universal" setting which must be used;

LNB Hi Band local oscilator setting: 10600

Switching Frequency: 11700 (if it can be found at all (please confirm), else ignore)

Red Carpet

We are pretty sure the HD PVR 2U (which is a  UEC decoder) was never upgarded with sw to actually display the switching frequency setting --  It would be great if you could confirm this.  If this is the case, then The SATCR option is the only one that will work because this standard option demodulates all satellite signals received as if they are Lo-band, using the single Lo-band local oscillator.

If indeed the 2U also has upgrade sw ( which the 4 tuner decoder defintely did NOT get), then you will see the the Hi-band Lo frequency value and the switching frequency value.

Because you are using a SLNB, the Lo- frequency must be set to 10600 to ensure compatibility between the decoder and the SLNB (I have since then confirmed that that Hi-band Lo is 10600 for the SLNBs.)

Now we get to the switching frequency. As Jan pointed out, we spent plenty of time trying to get this to work previously on the Pace 2P decoder. IF MC did in fact change the sw, then the switching frequency might well default to 11880, which may NOT work when the SATCR Universal setting is used. Then as Jan pointed out, it should be reset to the correct value of 11700 which is the split between Lo and Hi band.

You should be able to get both SATCR settings to work.

Note as an aside:
We no longer know what MC does with all these settings because they have for some time now started tampering with basic low level settings on ALL of their decoders.  In the old days a few things were NEVER fiddled with, such as the power feed to the LNB, the Lo, sw frequencies etc.
But now MC has chosen to fiddle with all of these things as part of their continued paranoia about security While this all fine on the Explora and new decoders, It has caused quite a few of the older model decoders to start giving plenty of problems. So because of this, even if a setting does not seem to or should NOT affect the connectivity, it is better to stick to what the sw wants regardless. The problem is we don't know what some of the values are and we have to play Sherlock Holmes very time MC changes something until we find settings that work on the older decoders again

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Nominee

You keep getting mixed up. Or something.

Will have to be the last time from me re the "SATCR Universal" setting which must be used;

LNB Hi Band local oscilator setting: 10600

Switching Frequency: 11700 (if it can be found at all (please confirm), else ignore)

New poster

On the SatCR Univ setting

LNB Hi Freq - 10700

LNB Switch - 11700

I'll check tonight what it is set at on SatCR - which is working.

I did not change any of the frequency values.

If by going on what you guys are saying, I should change back to SatCR Univ & adjust Freq to 10600 & 11880 to avoid future issues.

Nominee

Great, thanks for confirming these things Jan.

Can see your attachment copy of the pic on the right.

Not sure if I'll return to this thread.