Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Explora 3A RF substitute

13 REPLIES 13
Anime

Re: Explora 3A RF substitute

You can run Hd Tv Points through Dstv and Electrical Cable Guys 082 860 5570 Johannesburg

Red Carpet

Ja correct. I am still on Easyview because it is the only way I can use up my credit.  But when that credit expires, so will my desire to hand on to older DStv decoders and I will switch completely to OpenView HD.

I have absolutely no intention to invest in new MC decoders. If my current decoders fail, I will use up the spares I have in the cupboard one by one.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Red Carpet

Ultimately,  I have for a very long time held the view that Terrestrial broadcasting is no longer desired or required to maintain Broadcasting as an industry, and that there are far better uses for the broadcasting spectrum. BUT the ITU and the Wolrd ruled differently, and Terrestrial Broadcasting is still firmly entrenched in the Radio Regulations.

The issue of FTA broadcasting and its chance of survival on economic grounds is more uncertain. Personally, Pay-tv is at the moment under far more threat than FTA broadcasting.  However, recently OpenHD tried to push up the prices of their decoders to R 699. Apparently, sales took a huge knock, and the decoders are now back down at their original price of R 499. 

If Pay-tv slides, all we will have left is advertising dominated FTA. 

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Showmaxed

As for EasyView as a separate option - is it really of worth these days for most of the kind of people who are usually on this forum? Looks to me like it offers less and then charges for it, and if you want PVR / XV options with it it's 4 times the price!!

MC really lost the plot there...

Showmaxed

Instead of a DTT STB you could also consider OpenView HD - one can also buy those cheapie decoders and never pay again, connect it to the existing dish's LNB (if you have spare ports) and you can then do away with the terrestrial aerials, and they would end up with the same other free channels such as the eMovie channels and may even end up getting more than DTT.

But as they're a private company there is the risk that they could go under one day... in this economy I think it's maybe a possibility. What do you think @GeoffD  ?

BoxOffice

@ArthurDG wrote:

But that would be a problem when I use my Shaka's Rock holiday apartment and moved my primary decoder. But I'll see what the options are when the day arrives

If you only intend to view live while on holiday, just get a cheap 5 series HD and leave the home setup as is.  Even if you plan to make use of full PVR functionality, it might be worthwile to pickup a 2nd hand Explora.  Either way you can set up one as a dedicated holiday decoder. You just activate the holiday one and pay for the days in use.  If you don't have the need for a working setup at home while on holiday, then you can just use the switch option   

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode
Highlighted
New poster

I'm aware of the move away from terrestrial analogue, but also how the target for that has slipped significantly. I had thought that when the day finally arrived I could give my housekeeper XV with my PVR (or the equivalent of today's HD decoder if the PVR was no longer supported) , rather than a STB. But that would be a problem when I use my Shaka's Rock holiday apartment and moved my primary decoder. But I'll see what the options are when the day arrives

Red Carpet

Note that terrestrial analogue reception is on the way out. Soon, it will no longer be available and the a TV with a DVBT2 tuner will be required or a terr STB.

Red Carpet

Yes, correct about the diplexer, as the 2P cannot receive HB via the unicable port. So you need to extract the HB from the 3A to apply it to an RF port on the 2P.

Yes, correct about the SLNB. The SLNB LMX 502 only has 2 Unicable ports and no Universal ports. So while you have older decoders around, it is useful to have either the LMX 500 or the 501 as a spare.

New poster

Thanks Geoff.  I installed an RF Modulator as you said and am getting a good DStv pic to all other TVs, via my anplified RF network.  The terrestrial channels are also still working fine through that network.  Although the terrestrial SABC/eTV feed is really there solely for my housekeeper's TV.

My other decoder is a PVR 2P and I'll be installing it for XV.  Not for the usual reason, but alongside the Explora so that I can hopefully access old content that hasn't been viewed.  My understanding (thanks to posts from you and others in this forum) is that I need a diplexor behind the Explora 3A.  And that unicable A from the SLNB 502 will go into this, unicable B into the PVR, with a cable joining RF IN at the PVR and the other diplexor input. 

I was going to keep my old SLNB 500 anyway.  I rarely throw anything away, the state of my garage will attest to that.  But I assume that your advice to hang on to it is because it has more than two unicable ports.  I can't think that I'll ever want more than two decoders, but perhaps the next owner of the house might.