Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Explora 3a

24 REPLIES 24
Red Carpet

Re: Explora 3a

Sure thing. Of course needs a diplexer as well for that if HB is also RF involved.

(Orig. conversation was via PM.)

Doin' it 4 Tv

Thanks it was bit of an typo should have read RF modulator

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Doin' it 4 Tv

The 3A do have CU+. Mine came with a Wifi adapter and  it is working  perfectly. 

I did not go for an RF modulator to distribute signal to a second Tv but am using a HDMI splitter and HDMI cable. Referred to have HD on the second tv. I am using a remote blaster to change channels. 

The 3A do have a 1tb hard disc the same as the 2A. 

As far as the no display goes you have to do without fornt panel display in any case when you view on  a remote TV. 

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Red Carpet

@Luke7777 wrote:

and no display...

Yeah, can't imagine living without that :-(

Doin' it 4 Tv

@Optimist wrote:

I see the Explora 3A does have an Ethernet connection port, but can someone please confirm if it actually does do CU+ as well? TIA

If so, then there's no functional differences compared to older Explora decoders?

Except perhaps a smaller HDD (harddrive)?

(And of course no built in UHF RF, or the related TV Link option.)

and no display...

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode
Red Carpet

@GeoffD wrote:

It can relay and accept tvLINK commands via the LNB port. It cannot power tvLINKs. And tvLINK commands can't be transmitted via the SLNBs or 24-1Z switches or diplexers. Therefore a tvLINK setup needs another decoder type or an external power source to operate.

Another aspect one needs someone with a 3A to confirm.

Interesting mix of usage ability, thanks Geoff. So I presume an externally powered SLX splitter is enough to enable a TV Link, and something similar to a diplexer required to inject the Link commands, or extract its relaying?

Trending

It can relay and accept tvLINK commands via the LNB port. It cannot power tvLINKs. And tvLINK commands can't be transmitted via the SLNBs or 24-1Z switches.

While diplexers will pass tvLINK commands, the issue is the decoders can't provide power to tvLINKs or to SLX splitters via diplexers.

Therefore a tvLINK setup needs another decoder type or an external power source to operate.

Another aspect one needs someone with a 3A to confirm.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Red Carpet

I see the Explora 3A does have an Ethernet connection port, but can someone please confirm if it actually does do CU+ as well? TIA

If so, then there's no functional differences compared to older Explora decoders?

Except perhaps a smaller HDD (harddrive)?

(And of course no built in UHF RF, or the related TV Link option.)

New poster

It is on the market as we speak

Trending

Re: Explora 3a: Some more detail.

Here are two pics.

The PSUs for the Explora and Explora 2A are suitable for use with the 3A but the 3A PSU can't be used with the older decoders. Only suitable for use with the 3A.

[Edit, removed ref to UBs as there is plenty of confusion about this aspect].

An external diplexer is required IF HB connection is required in older installations.

Normal RCA connections are catered for which means it is not a 5 series decoder with PVR facilities.

HD capability is documented as 720p and 1080i.

The maximum current available at 18V DC, on the unicable port is 500 mA. This decoder therefore cannot provide reliable power to drive the older LMXs as well as possibly, the 24-1Z switch on its own.

IMG-20181119-WA0003.jpgIMG-20181119-WA0002.jpg

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM