Did you mean: 
Need help?

Explora multiswitch for retirement home

SOLVED
Highlighted
New poster

Explora multiswitch for retirement home

Hi,

I'm shortly moving to a retirement complex.

The unit has two outlets for DStv. The manager told me I must buy a multiswitch but I'm unclear what multiswitch I must ask for. 

I have an old multiswitch that I used with my old HD2 decoder. It was used to split my signal for a second decoder on extraview. 

I assume that this new multiswitch mus combine the two inputs into one as the explora has only one input

Can I use the "old" multiswitch with the new one? I assume the old one first and the new one second? That will enable me to use Extraview for my HD2.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Action

Re: Explora multiswitch for retirement home

@Worxfan wrote:

Hi,

The unit has two outlets for DStv. The manager told me I must buy a multiswitch but I'm unclear what multiswitch I must ask for. 

I have an old multiswitch that I used with my old HD2 decoder. It was used to split my signal for a second decoder on extraview. 

I assume that this new multiswitch mus combine the two inputs into one as the explora has only one input

Can I use the "old" multiswitch with the new one? I assume the old one first and the new one second? That will enable me to use Extraview for my HD2.

To add to what Optimist has posted.

You most likely have two "universal" legacy ports available and NOT a SATCR connection.  This means that the old MS will NOT work regardless of which type it is. If you supply us more detail we can confirm this.

In your case the correct switch to get is the 24-1Z switch which will allow you to connect the two LNB ports available to the switch, and then connect the Explora decoder to one of the two Unicable ports available, as well as any other decoder you may have to any of the 4 universal ports on the 24-1Z switch. DO NOT put the old MS in series as this will just give you problems.

Once you have confirmed which MS you have available we can eliminate that as an option, and then deal with which LNB ports you need to connect to on the 24-1Z switch.

Action

The 24-1Z can handle a TWIN, Quad or Quattro input feed from the antenna,

and deliver 2 x Unicables connections plus 4 universal legacy ports for older decoders to use.  It is normally used in MUD complexes but is very useful when you have to make use of any communal feed from a common antenna.

Action

Yes you could connect both decoders to the unicable ports and nothing to the 4 universal ports. All you have to ensure is that the decoders are set to use different userbands and frequencies. Typically leave the Explora on defaults as 0,1,2 and set the HD PVR 2 tuner decoder to use 3,4 and set to SATCR Universal.

Yes you still need a HB cable between the two. The simplest is to use the old way to run the HB cable, especially if you are making use of RF at other viewing points.

7 REPLIES
Action

Complexes use quite a variety of systems, it's impossible for us to guess well enough. So if the manager can't provide enough detail you'll have to be given contact details for the system's installers and pose your questions to them.

Action

@Worxfan wrote:

Hi,

To add to what Optimist has posted.

You most likely have two "universal" legacy ports available and NOT a SATCR connection.  This means that the old MS will NOT work regardless of which type it is. If you supply us more detail we can confirm this.

In your case the correct switch to get is the 24-1Z switch which will allow you to connect the two LNB ports available to the switch, and then connect the Explora decoder to one of the two Unicable ports available, as well as any other decoder you may have to any of the 4 universal ports on the 24-1Z switch. DO NOT put the old MS in series as this will just give you problems.

Once you have confirmed which MS you have available we can eliminate that as an option, and then deal with which LNB ports you need to connect to on the 24-1Z switch.

New poster

Thanks. Just the info I need at this stage.

Will be another 6 weeks before I get the right answer, but the 24-1Z sounds like the answer.

If it can connect 2 unicables that will do the trick, but I need to make sure.

This Forum was ALWAYS the way to informed solutions.

Action

The 24-1Z can handle a TWIN, Quad or Quattro input feed from the antenna,

and deliver 2 x Unicables connections plus 4 universal legacy ports for older decoders to use.  It is normally used in MUD complexes but is very useful when you have to make use of any communal feed from a common antenna.

New poster

According to a manual I found

@GeoffD wrote:

The 24-1Z can handle a TWIN, Qud or Quattro input feed form the antenna,

for the 24-1Z the 2 ports on the left hand side is ONLY for Exploras.

I want to connect my Explora 1 to the one and my Hd2 decoder to the other. 

Is there any harm in this? Otherwise I must connect the Hd2 to 2 of the "bottom" ones.

I assume that I still need a HB cable from primary to secondary?

Thanks for all your help.

New poster

Sorry, mixed up left and right.

Action

Yes you could connect both decoders to the unicable ports and nothing to the 4 universal ports. All you have to ensure is that the decoders are set to use different userbands and frequencies. Typically leave the Explora on defaults as 0,1,2 and set the HD PVR 2 tuner decoder to use 3,4 and set to SATCR Universal.

Yes you still need a HB cable between the two. The simplest is to use the old way to run the HB cable, especially if you are making use of RF at other viewing points.