Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Explora1 heartbeat to Explora2 Xtra View Options

SOLVED
8 REPLIES 8
Red Carpet

Re: Explora1 heartbeat to Explora2 Xtra View Options

@BigJoeFour- I would suggest that you name and shame the manufacturer and model of the failed diplexer to help others avoid that. I think there's only been one other failure that we've witnessed, on the old forum.

But... this forum is currently so lacking in what's needed so it's probably largely a waste of time.

(And I think I'm about done with wasting my time.)

Red Carpet

What is extraordinary here is that a passive device such as a diplexer can fail!

There are  no active components in theses things, just simple filters and a DC pass component. The only component prone to failure are the capacitors. This means  poor quality selection of components.

What I would like to suggest is that you make sure the Explora 2A is connected to SLNB port A because the 2A has a better PSU and is able to deliver more power. I presume you have a SLNB model LMX 500 installed?

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Red Carpet

Great stuff :-)

It's not really the call centre staff that's the problem, it's the decision makers, who seem to have to work without enough tech input.

In this case it appears that such info has been deemed beyond the norm, which I suppose it is for new enquirers on their own... but they're not on their own if they have good support and it really isn't rocket science, none of it is in usage terms.

The thing is, if we can put it together here (with help we've also been given) then certainly so can the professionals.

A reminder - one other Forumite (who should be obvious) and me were asked by the GM of Customer Services to help create replacement / advanced training manuals for the call centre, before she ended up leaving - we're still available if you want MC.

New poster

Thanks guys.

I knew they we talking Bull all this time. The worst part is that I spoke to about 3 different guys on the help desk and the one even checked with his supervisor.

Shocking support! I knew the install was good because I used information from the previous forum to check it and set it up. Now without that information I couldn't argue my point with the support person because I have no documentation to refer them to.

I didn't realise the diplexer could fail. I have purchased a new one and all issues are resolved!

Thanks Guys

Doin' it 4 Tv

@Optimist Yes we can do that my Daughter call me a Hoarder.
Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Red Carpet

Note that the User Band Indexes and Frequencies used in the attachment don't need to match yours, if unaltered yours should work again once the diplexer is sorted out.

@Jan-Horn- one of these days I'll write to you and we can share the files we both salvaged from the old forum ;-)

Doin' it 4 Tv

I agree with Optimist Here is an installation diagram that were posted on the old forum by MC field services
Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Red Carpet

Hi,

In this case the missing manuals would not have helped as they only detailed older XV setups.

The MC representative is not correct, your installation will work in that way when sorted out, as detailed below.

1. Via the SLNB (Smart LNB) it can only work with an Explora model 1 in the mix if a diplexer is connected at the back of the Explora 1. Perhaps this has failed or was removed by someone.

(The Explora model 2A has a built in diplexer.)

2. So no need for this change of usage. Someone just needs to examine / replace the diplexer.

Diplexers are available at most stores that deal with installation needs, such as Ellies, HD Cabling or Space TV. I suggest avoiding the Aerial King models, at least one is very odd with its markings' wording.

Anything more needed will come from others here when they're available, all the best with it :-)

New poster

Explora1 heartbeat to Explora2 Xtra View Options

Hi All

I must admit that I am extremely peaved at MC for removing the links to the Installation manuals... Now I end up having to post a simple question where I could otherwise just check it up in the manual.

I have a Explora 1 and Explora 2. Both connected to the Smart LNB using the Uni cable connection. So there is no seperate heartbeat cable between the decoders. The heartbeat used to work through the Unicable and the smart LNB. This setup has worked for the past 1 to 2 years.

Suddenly 2 months ago the Hearbeat signal stopped working. I get told by the Support people at the Multichoice call centre that my installation is invalid... That only 2x Explora 2 decoders can be connected in this manner and it wont work with my Explora 1 and 2 combination. I have to use a seperate Heartbeat cable between the 2 decoders.

My problem is as follows:

1. If this is the case, why was it working fine for over a year?

2. The 2 decoders are about 30 meters apart and my conduit is not big enough to get a second cable through just for the heartbeat signal. I will rather just buy a second Explora 2 than going through the trouble of pulling a second cable.

My question is... Is MC correct that my installation is invalid?