cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Extraview connection using multiswitch, Explora 2 and new HD decoder without RF

12 REPLIES 12
Anime

Re: Extraview connection using multiswitch, Explora 2 and new HD decoder without RF

Thank you.  Will get one.

Highlighted
Red Carpet

Re: Extraview connection using multiswitch, Explora 2 and new HD decoder without RF

Sorry forgot you are in a complex. The only solution for you is a 24-1Z switch instead of the 5-1 switch.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Anime

Will the latest model switch solve the problem as I live in a complex? 

Red Carpet

The Explora 2A will work with the 5-1 switch connected to port A IF set to network defaults. 

The 5 series decoder will only partially work when connected to one of the universal ports but will not be able to use tuner 2 simultaneously with tuner 1.

HB HAS to work via a RF port on the Explora 2A and via a diplexer used in reverse behind the 5 series decoder. All round this is not a recommended installation. Your best bet is to get a 24-1Z switch installed so both new model decoders can operate as they are supposed to.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Anime

I have confirmed that I have the explorer switch 5.1. Will this work? 

Red Carpet

That is an alternative way to ensure the HB is getting through but you should not go that way before understanding what the problem is.  It is an unnecesary complication with the 5 -series decoders, when you have a 24-1Z DStv switch alrready in place and required because you are making use of communal antenna feeds.

New poster

Like GeoffD said - The heartbeat will be available through the unicable ports being used on your Multiswitch.

Anime

Thank you. I will have a look at the setup and settings this evening and provide feedback.

When I called the service centre to query the issue, they mentioned that I may need a diplexor for the heartbeat for the secondary decoder. Is this something to consider?

Tags (1)
Red Carpet

@alanr123 wrote:

I am in a complex and the dish is shared amongst a few units. There are 2 cables coming to my unit, hence the need for the switch to allow the Explorer 2a to work. I am not too sure on the model of the HD Decoder, however I purchased it from Multichoice in Randburg just over a week ago.

Okay so the "multi switch"  you have is assumed to be the 24-1Z. This means the Explora 2A and the HD decoder (5 series) MUST be connected to unicable ports (A through D) on the DStv switch 24-1Z. The single view 5 series decoders cannot be connected to the universal ports 1 through 4. The HB signal is only available on the Unicable ports.

Next the userbands and associated frequencies MUST be changed on this decoder to not clash with those used by the Explora 2A, which uses 0,1,2. Use user bands 3,4  for this decoder and make sure it is set to SATCR/Unicable under the network settings.

Anime

I am in a complex and the dish is shared amongst a few units. There are 2 cables coming to my unit, hence the need for the switch to allow the Explorer 2a to work. I am not too sure on the model of the HD Decoder, however I purchased it from Multichoice in Randburg just over a week ago.