Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

HD 5S Primary to HD 4S Secondary xtra view setup

SOLVED
3 REPLIES 3
Red Carpet

Re: HD 5S Primary to HD 4S Secondary xtra view setup

Only reason why it did not work behind the 4S is probably because the 4S is connected to the universal port on the SLNB  and not to port B.

Or, you connected the diplexer wrong.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
New poster

Thank you GeoffD. Problem now sorted. Tried the diplexer both ways, first behind the 4S, didn't work, then behind the 5S. After some lengthy tinkering by MC it now seems sorted.

Red Carpet

@ToxicBull wrote:

I am trying my best to do the above mentioned connection but nothing seems to work. I am using a HD 5S as my primary and a HD 4S as my secondary. I am using a Smart-LNB model LMX501 on a 800mm dish. I am also using a GT-CSTV combiner/diplexer. What cabling configuration should i use and what user bands on which decoders. I have contacted the Dstv call centre 4 times and no help.

Okay let us try and help.

(1) Connect the HD5S to the SLNB port A.

(2) Connect the HD 4S to the SLNB port B, NOT to the universal port. ( This will simplify the network settings, and how the HB cabling should run.

(3) Don't know what that diplexer looks like but assuming it is similar to all the others,

You need to decide how you want to route the HB signal.

A: via the SLNB and the SLNB cabling;

B: via a separate HB cable between the two decoders.

Let me know what your choice is and where the two decoders are going to be, in separate rooms or in the same room.

Use the network installation wizard to set up Network settings.

1. Switch on ONLY the HD5S ( assuming this is going to be the Primary)

2. Select decoders settings decoder 1.

3. Save the settings and then reboot the decoder to confirm it is working.

4. Switch OFF this decoder and switch ON the HD 4S

5. Select decoder settings decoder 3. Why 3? No one actually knows why this works best for the 4S but it does.

6. Save the settings and reboot.

7. switch on both decoders and confirm that both complete the reboot cycle. 

The Primary 5S should receive all channels. And so should the 4S, even though it will block reception after 30 minutes IF XV is not setup properly.

The Diplexer should only be installed AFTER the basics are working because it very often confuses the process of getting the decoders to function.

Now you need to decide which of the two installation options you want to use.

If via the SLNB, then the best option is to install the diplexer behind the 4S decoder.

If the other option then the diplexer gets installed behind the 5S.

Behind the 4S: connect the combined port (I/O) to the cable coming from the SLNB. Connect the SAT port to the LNB port on the 4S. Connect the ANT port to either RF IN or RF OUT on the 4S

Behind the 5S: connect the (I/O) port to the LNB port on the 5S. Connect the Sat port to the SLNB cable. Connect the ANT port to the cable going to the 4S decoder which should be connected to one of the RF ports on the 4S.

Now get hold of MC to set up XV.  decoders should work after MC has finished fiddling and screwing up the XV setup.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Highlighted
New poster

HD 5S Primary to HD 4S Secondary xtra view setup

I am trying my best to do the above mentioned connection but nothing seems to work. I am using a HD 5S as my primary and a HD 4S as my secondary. I am using a Smart-LNB model LMX501 on a 800mm dish. I am also using a GT-CSTV combiner/diplexer. What cabling configuration should i use and what user bands on which decoders. I have contacted the Dstv call centre 4 times and no help.