Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Installation of Explora 2 in a complex

SOLVED
Highlighted
New poster

Installation of Explora 2 in a complex

Hi guys. I have Explora 2 decorder and a smart switch 5-2; all connected and blue light on the switch is on. When I go through installation wizard it says signal strength or quality is poor? It's showing values on the frequency and indexes, tuners1-3 signal bars on the rifmg are all full and black shaded. Should I change the frequency values? To which values? Ive tried resetting to factory settings but no luck with signals? Please helo. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BoxOffice

Re: Installation of Explora 2 in a complex

You need to speak to your BC, or their installations representative - there can be all sorts of complications with setup requirements which vary from complex to complex.

My personal recommendation to all at this stage is to avoid the setup wizard's auto option, only use manual. I would do a reset to factory defaults first.

Do not try and use that setup section's "measurement" of signals on the whole, it's inacurate at best and used to be faulty - may still be.

Instead, check signals in: Help \ General Information \ Tuner Status

Tuner 1 - strength of 80%+ and quality of 90%+ expected.

Ignore tuner 2 (for recordings, else delivers inaccurate results).

Tuner 3 - strength of 70%+ and quality of 90%+ expected.

I'm not available again, all the best with it.

12 REPLIES
Doin' it 4 Tv

Any other decoders connected?

How many incoming feeds are there from the antenna system into your unit?

If only two then you may have an issue because of all the changes introduced lately by MC.

What are the default UBs after the reset to factory defaults?

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
BoxOffice

You need to speak to your BC, or their installations representative - there can be all sorts of complications with setup requirements which vary from complex to complex.

My personal recommendation to all at this stage is to avoid the setup wizard's auto option, only use manual. I would do a reset to factory defaults first.

Do not try and use that setup section's "measurement" of signals on the whole, it's inacurate at best and used to be faulty - may still be.

Instead, check signals in: Help \ General Information \ Tuner Status

Tuner 1 - strength of 80%+ and quality of 90%+ expected.

Ignore tuner 2 (for recordings, else delivers inaccurate results).

Tuner 3 - strength of 70%+ and quality of 90%+ expected.

I'm not available again, all the best with it.

New poster

Hi. I have a decorder (not explora) which is currently working well with good signal. From the wall I have two LNB's to the switch and then from the switch to the decorder. I didn't check UB's after resetting to factory default. Would the status light on the switch be on though if the signal was poor? 

New poster

Thanks, I will check and contact BC to assist. 

Doin' it 4 Tv

So which model is the other decoder? How is it connected to the 5-2 switch?

If both are connected to Unicable ports then the problem IS related to a UB  clash between the decoders.

It would really help if you answered my questions I asked.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
New poster

Hi, sorry if you miss undertood my reply... The older decoder is not connected through the switch, directly from the wall and it is not an Explora. So far I've been connecting one decoder at a time - Explora decoder through the switch (signal low or poor quality). The older decoder is from the year 2012. 

Doin' it 4 Tv

There is the first part of your answer!

The Explora switch 5-2 MUST be provided with TWO connections minimum to the LNB, connected to ports H/L and V/L to even start working properly.

Even this is only a temporary measure as soon 4 connections will be required.

Only then can you hope to get the Explora to start up correctly. BOTH LNB connections MUST  be satellite feeds.

Both must be universal LNB feeds, operating independently from each other.

Only the BC can confirm what they are.

If not as above, forget about getting an Explora to work.

New poster

Thanks GeoffD. The BC has just confirmed there are no special settings I need, it should connect. The only thing I can think of now is the new LNB cables which I bought to connect to the switch. When I get home I will try connecting my old decorder using the new cables and see if that is the problem. another question though, do LNB cables come with different strength of signal transmissions? 

Just to confirm, Yes two cables connected from the wall to the switch and one from the switch to the decoder. 

BoxOffice

Since I'm here, one more basic possibility we may have missed;

I presume the Explora is connected to port A on the 5-2 switch? It musn't be connected to the numbered ports.

If it is on A, now try B.

Then do a factory defaults reset again, followed by a manual install with Indexes 0, 1 & 2 selected.

The respective frequencies should be 1210, 1420 & 1680.

Do all the indexes first, then all the frequencies.

Pre-made cables are unlikely to be the problem, but it's possible.