Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Need advice about Xtraview Connection

SOLVED
4 REPLIES 4
Red Carpet

Re: Need advice about Xtraview Connection

Which decoder model? HD PVR2P?  4 tuner?

What is this 2 x 3 splitter?  Is it a Multiswitch?

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
New poster

I have two HDPVR's one as primary and other secondary.  Twin LNB and 2x3 splitter.  This was working perfectly but could only record on the Primary decoder.  Our cleaner by accidend moved the decoder an pulling out the wiring at the back of the primary decoder.  I connected it back "mor or  less" and got it working but now the secondary decoder only show all the chanel discriptions but no picture no sound.  

can you perhaps help.

Red Carpet

Optimist has covered everything pretty much.  So just to confirm:

Your best bet is to install a SLNB model LMX 501.  This is the future proof solution at the moment and will allow you to upgrade later to the current Explora model 2A reasonably easily.

The LMX 501 has the required universal port to drive the 4S decoder you already have.

The HB cable needs to run from the RF port  on the HD PVR 2P that you used in the previous home to the RF port on the 4S that you used previously.  If you keep everything the same, chances are there will be no issues with getting XV working again.

The only reconfig required is as Optimist mentioned on the HD PVR2P to interface with port A on the SLNB.

A few additional points.  Do not remove the second LNB cable that exists, just roll it up under the eaves for future use if you decide to move the 4S to another room. Of course, you could move the cable to that location if the cabling simply runs in the roof.

DO NOT try and run the HB via the LNB cabling as the hD PVR2P is not able to send HB via the LNB cabling easily, nor can the 4S easily access the HB signal that way.  Wait until you do upgrade to an Explora before you can consider doing this.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Showmaxed

Hi, I'll just help with the basics. Others will take it further.

Usually the best option these days is the SLNB (Smart LNB), and should be in your case too for a number of reasons, including economics and the need to now get ready for full Hi Band channels.

Note that the current SLNB model only has one Universal port for the old type of connections your 2P has used so that will need to change.

On your 2P you need to select "SATCR Universal" (universal means something else here), which will allow you to use one SLNB Unicable port only and that will connect to the 2P's SAT 1 port.

Your 4S has the choice of using Universal or Unicable, one cable only either way - for simplicity I suggest the Universal cable.

A third HeartBeat (HB) cable is needed as you presumed, for these decoders, placed between each other from RF Out to RF Out (and the menu setting referring to that also set to RF Out), unless conduit space is a problem in which case diplexers usage will be explained.

That's basically all there is to it in this case, unless you have special needs.

@jesilvaltd wrote:
I have a secondary decoder , a Model 4S HD decoder, which I will be putting in another room.

Xtraview is enabled on our account from our previous house.

I need to get the secondary decoder connected using Xtraview.

This can get complicated, so best to follow this advice carefully.

A.) If the existing XtraView (XV) involves another not mentioned decoder, that needs to be connected to power and LNB properly as well first and you need the Call Centre to then "break" the XV connection. (4S need not be connected yet.)

Then disconnect the old secondary decoder, connect the 4S, and then phone back the Call centre to create the new XV link.

OR

B.) If it was the 4S that was used before, it will just work again.

Nest you may want to mention if you're planning to share decoder output(s) between rooms, and if so what remote control access is desired.

All the best with it :-)

New poster

Need advice about Xtraview Connection

Hi. Recently moved to a new house and need advice about a Xtraview connection please.

Current Setup:

HD PVR 2 P (Main Decoder) in the lounge

Cables connected to the SAT1 and SAT2 ports on the back of the decoder

Those 2 cables are connected into a Twin LNB attached to a 80 cm dish.

I have a secondary decoder , a Model 4S HD decoder, which I will be putting in another room.

Xtraview is enabled on our account from our previous house.

I need to get the secondary decoder connected using Xtraview.

What LNB will I need? 

I know I will need to buy a new LNB, but I am not sure which one I need.

I think a Smart LNB will do the trick and future-proof me if I eventually upgrade to an Explora.

I know I will need to run a heartbeat cable from the primary to the secondary decoder.

I also need to run a cable from the LNB to the secondary decoder.

What other LNB options are there, if any?

If I use a Smart LNB, does that mean I only need a single cable to connect the LNB to the primary decoder and another single cable to connect the LNB to the secondary decoder?

Is there further configuration required for a Smart LNB setup?

I would really appreciate any advice.