cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New Explora 3A no signal but only with longer unicable

Anime

Re: New Explora 3A no signal but only with longer unicable

@Optimist thanks very much for the detailed information. 

The LNB to the switch in room #1 is ~5m. The switch to room #2 is ~40m. The switch to room #3 where the E3A picks up no tuner but the E1 does is 20m at the most. 

Do you guys beleive that the new switch/LNB combo will definitely remedy this issue? Would it not make it worse since the new switch draws more power?

Anime

Thanks all for your input. Apologies for any misinformation I had. 

My PVR is the TDS865IMC. I can't find any used HD non-PVR decoders so that puts me in a tricky situation.

I assumed that the HB for the PVR was fed via the switch. At the moment, the only coax cable entering/exiting the main Explora is the unicable. The only two cables entering the PVR are the 2 multiswitch outputs. At the moment, after an hour or two, both are still working perfectly with the 3A even still showing channel 100. 

@GeoffD I think I must go that route. A few hundred bucks extra and then I don't need to sacrifice any of the decoders or worry about future upgrade issues. Just to confirm, the "Quad/Quattro" LNB is the LMX501? I'm assuming I'll need to run an additional 2 cables to the new switch from the new LNB? I can't seem to be find the 24-1Z switch's manual online. 

Red Carpet

Yes the Quad/Quattro LNB combined with a 24-1Z switch is probably the most "future proof" solution around, but it is also expensive.

1. It will handle whatever MC decides to do with Hi-band (that is of course IF MCs long term strategy still includes use of more Hi-band transponders).  Plenty of uncertainty here. So you spend money on the option for it to never materialise.

2. This combination can support ALL MC decoders available now and ALL the older decoders.

3. It can handle HB via the switch as well as older HB installations equally well.

4. It allows you to use both MC and non-MC decoders to access any services available on IS20. (This probably riles MC because it allows their competitors to ride on the back of "their" installations.

5. MCs slow down of moving channels to other Hi-band transponders cause one to doubt whether it is absolutely a requirement (in SA) to simply replace a TWIN LNB with a Quad/Quattro.

Therefore, in the end, it is about what OP wants to do in terms of the decoders he has or wants to use.

The LMX501 draws quite a bit of power. Personally, I don't think the 3A is good enough for the job so, I would tend to suggest that it is better to have the 2A or Explora 1 as the primary. ---- if connected to an LMX 501.

For me, (I HATE throwing away anything that still serves a purpose and works), retaining the 2P would be preferable.  BUT, IF the requirement is for a 3-decoder combination then, it sort of makes sense to dump the oldest decoder in preference to the newer models.

The problem with this is that the quality of the newer decoders is not anywhere near the quality of the older decoders.

The SD PVR is still the best PVR MC ever released. After that, maybe the 4 tuner PVRs were the next best.  As for the Explodas - the 3A is by far the biggest piece of junk yet.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Highlighted
Nominee

You could use a Quad (or Quatro) LNB to feed a 24-1Z switch instead, but likely clumsy compared for your needs.

Nominee

Quite a lot of misunderstanding in the early parts of the thread, so here's more (then I'm gone, sorry).

You wondered if it's more for a 3rd decoder on XV - yep, a second R90 access fee is then also paid (besides the initial R90 access fee).

5-1 switch - unable to handle 2 unicable-based decoders without a big struggle, if at all (if 2 Exploras it would also require cascading 2 switches).

5-2 - too old, and as discussed only if cascaded for your Exploras. We do not recommend cascading, and the LNB still falls short of future Hi Band needs... and a 24-1Z has that same last problem still needing attention, so scrap the idea of a switch altogether and get the SLNB which is then used alone.

The LMX 501 SLNB is best, even if now dropping the 3rd decoder.

A cheaper LMX 502Z will do for any 2 of your choices of decoders, but is limited for future possibilities.

Note that a 5-1 or 5-2 are not capable of passing on the HB.

Primary decoder should be using port A.

@GeoffD  , which do you think it's best to use for Primary - the Explora 1 or the 3A?

I'm thinking the 3A appears weaker due to the experiments done by the OP, otherwise would have picked it as it's most modern.

HB will need further discussion, will depend on your final choices decisions as well.

When you come back to us, please mention the distances from each room to the dish as far as cable routes go. (If you insist on continuing with a switch, then distances to that instead).

All the best with it :-)

Red Carpet

1. Unfortunately, you are between a rock and a hard place with these issues.

2. The costs of the extra components new is quite high. The risks of second hand components is high.

3. You can't combine any of the older decoders in a 3-decoder combination under one subscription. The decoders must all be Exploras or HD single view decoders. IF There is an older decoder in the combination then only 2 decoders is allowed.

Or, you have to accept that you will pay for 2 subscriptions.

4. You can't buy new 5-1, or 5-2 ES switches.

IF you want to keep the existing TWIN LNB, then your only option is a 24-1Z switch.

5. IF  the 3-decoder combination is essential for you then you have to give up the HDPVR 2P.

6. THEN the best option is replace the LNB  with a LMX 501 SLNB.

7. IF  you keep the Explora 1, or,  you still want to use RF distribution , a diplexer is essential. 

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Nominee

I haven't currently got time to read more, but just note that 3-decoder XtraView (XV) cannot include older decoders such as your HD PVR, not allowed by MC under any circumstances. So it can only still be included in your XV with one or the other of your Exploras.

For 3 on XV in your case, the 3rd must be either a 3rd Explora or a non-pvr "HD Decoder" (series 4, 5 or 6).

Anime

Also, in general what is the lifetime of a switch like? There's a 24-1Z for sale used for R250 in my area compared to R710 at Builder's. Is it worth the cash saved or is it just going to mean it's much closer to it's expected end of life?

Anime

Hi Jan

Thanks very much for the detailed information. I've seen a few of your installation diagrams on Google Images.

Just to make sure I understood, my options are as follows:

1) Use a LMX501 LNB, rerun the cables to each of the decoders and then use a diplexer for E3A. Then I would still need to split the HB for the PVR somehow. 

2) Add another 5-1 switch and then daisy chain them. I'm not a fan of this. It feels like there's more parts to fail. Especially if it's one new unit (not sure if they're still sold?) and one old. This will also provide the HB for both the PVR and the E3A?

3) Replace the switch with a 24-1Z. There will be nothing else which needs to change so it will be more or less plug and play?

Will this fix the issues where only the E1 could pick up the tuner on the longer cable run for room #3 and not E3A?

Thanks for all the help. Really appreciate it.

BoxOffice

I wanted to attach a pdf copy of the 501 manual but it seem that he paperclip option is missing so herewith a screen shot of the relavant page in the manual 

5-1 switch.JPG

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab