cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New Explora 3A no signal but only with longer unicable

21 REPLIES 21
BoxOffice

Re: I've Dstv explora (model 2A) in another room and Dstv HD (model 4U) paid for extra view.

Ok I presume that both decoders are setup correctly and that you have changed the User band indexes on the Home network screen to eliminated any user band conflict (decoder 1 for the primary and decoder 2 for the secondary on the quick setup guide). Also that when you select channel 100 on the secondary you have dull audio and video.

If all the above is correct press the help button on the remote and select General information.

At the bottom of the screen select extraview

You should see both the primary and secondary  smart cards listed and the last time a heart beat was send. 

If the sc's are not listed or are incorrect phone the call centre for assistance. 

See my screen shot

XV.jpg 

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
New poster

Re: I've Dstv explora (model 2A) in another room and Dstv HD (model 4U) paid for extra view.

I don't have picture on my Dstv HD model 4u showing error that waiting for communication from the primary decoder. Heart beat cable is connected. 20190720_132557.jpg

BoxOffice

I notice that you have posted this in Technical Info as well. Please post under one topic only

We need a bit more info to help you. Give us additional information  as per LNB type and model and do you have a heart beat cable installed. And what do you need help with  

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Highlighted
New poster

I've Dstv explora (model 2A) in another room and Dstv HD (model 4U) paid for extra view.

Showmaxed

Re: New Explora 3A no signal but only with longer unicable

@GeoffD wrote:

Q4: When you lose access to HD channels that have been moved to a Hi-band transponder that is above the "fiddle range" that MC is currently making use of. @Optimist can provide some details.

Nothing concrete I can add at this stage beyond Geoff's earlier post, we are all in the dark as to what multiple channel expansion plans MC may have if any, and for now there's just inaccessible test channels on the "true" Hi band transponders.

Thanks for the "sweet beer" offer :-D

I don't get to Pta much anymore, so perhaps give Geoff a double helping.

Red Carpet

Maybe it is time for a diagram from you showing exactly what you have in place.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Red Carpet

Q1. There is NO WAY that the two decoders can work in an XV combination without a working HB connection! IF the secondary decoder carries on working after 30 minutes it means the two decoders are on a separate subscription and you are paying for a double subscription.

OR MC have made an accounting screw up, in which case DON'T answer on the forum! Send me an SMS Smiley Very Happy 

You need to check the XV status of the secondary decoder. If it says "ready but inactive", you are paying a double subscription.

Which one is the secondary decoder? The HD PVR 2P? 

Do you have an RF connection in place between the two decoders?

The ES switch cannot transfer HB between the two decoders. The Explora 1 requires a cable connected to one of the RF ports and so does the HD PVR2P. (RF IN or RF OUT).

Q2: Yes the Unicable LNBs are capable of receiving Hi- & Lo- band as well as HOR and VER.

Q3. The 5S decoders are able to work on both Universal ports and on Unicable ports. BUT, the Universal port on an LMX 501 cannot provide an HB connection.

Q4: When you lose access to HD channels that have been moved to a Hi-band transponder that is above the "fiddle range" that MC is currently making use of. @Optimist can provide some details.

Q5: We are suggesting that it will be a risk. It may or may not work. The MC design was for up to 30 m cable lengths.

I am in PTA East. I can stop by for a beer or that pot of honey anytime Smiley Very Happy 

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Anime

Thanks very much for all the information. This really consolidates it all - my confusion included.

At the moment my PVR and E1 are both working. The PVR has nothing plugged in besides Sat 1 and I also don't see any diplexers anywhere in the switch/cabling cabinet - unless it is connected and hidden somewhere in a roof. Is this because of the switch? Q1: Will the same happen if I use A/B with a non-unicable HD decoder? This is really puzzling me as to why it is working with only one of the 3 cables originally plugged into it. The same goes for why the HB is working if the only cable plugged into the primary E1 is the unicable to the switch.

Q2: Does the LMX501 have the hi-band capabilities of a universal quad LNB? If so, I think I should replace my LNB with it as it should be plug-n-play to get my 2 Exploras to work (reroute existing cable) and allows me the future option for another Explora or a 5S right now.  Q3: If I use the LMX501, can it be plug-n-play for a 5s using the single universal on the LNB like I'm currently doing with the 5-1 switch? Thanks very much about the info regarding the LMX501 not being the same as a universal quad LNB. I would've bough an LMX501 thinking it works the same as a quad universal.Image result for dstv diplexerThanks @Jan-Horn for the diagram. This explains it well.

Q4: How will I know when it is time to replace my LNB if I go with A?

Q5: Is my assumption correct that there will never be a way (without relocating LNB and recabling) to get a unicable (either for a 6s now or for an Explora in the future) over the 40m cable for room #2?

Thanks all for the help @GeoffD, @Optimist, @Jan-Horn. If any of you are ever in PTA feel free to stop by for a beer or a jar of my homemade honey.

Red Carpet

The install options are as follows:

A: Universal TWIN LNB (existing) plus 24-1Z switch.

Replaces the ES 5-1 switch.  Can handle HB via the 24-1Z.

No immediate need to change the LNB, BUT is not in the long term capable of fully supporting Hi-band transponders.

B: Universal Quad/Quattro LNB plus 24-1Z switch.

An LMX 501 is an MC Unicable Smart LNB (SLNB). It is NOT a universal Quad/Quattro LNB.

As above and supports Hi-band.  An expensive option because it involves chnaging the LNB as well as buying a 24-1Z switch. requires 4 cables from the LNB to a central point where the 24-1Z switch could be located to provide connectivity to all 3 decoders in a 3-decoder combination (excluding the HD PVR2P because it cannot be included in a 3-decoder combination).

C: Install a new SLNB model LMX 501.

Requires NO switches.  This LNB combines the functionality of a Universal LNB and the functionality of a 24-1Z switch. Can handle a 3-decoder combination.

3 cables running straight from the antenna, one to each point where a decoder is installed.

Works best when cable runs are more or less "balanced" in terms of length, but should not be a problem if one of the cables is 40 m in length, PROVIDED, that decoder is NOT the primary decoder providing power to the LMX 501.

The risk is that if you end up with performance issues on that decoder at the end of the 40m cable, you would have to move the antenna to a centrally located position. If moving the antenna is not possible or desired, then the better option would be option B.

The Explora 1, will require a diplexer behind it to sort out the HB connection IF no RF distribution is used.

The choice of Primary decoder would be either the Explora 1 or the Explora 2A in preference to the 3A, because both of these have better power supplies than the 3A for driving the LMX 501.

The first thing to do is decide which decoders you plan to use.

Then to decide IF you want to continue distributing RF to remote TVs and hence to be able to view all decoders anywhere. Note the 3A DOES NOT have RF capabilities.

Showmaxed

*anti auto spam moderator line - please ignore*

I will jump in a little further as you've now gone a bit off track here, which by the way is normal, especially with such detailed installs so really don't feel bad, we've just had lots of experience with this stuff (and still make quite a few mistakes).

Firstly, the HD PVR "8651" is what we refer to as the 2P.

I believe Geoff was mostly discussing things theoretically, IMHO your best avenue is the LMX 501 with no switch. In particular you're most unlikely to go far enough back with any other older decoders to need the additional Universal feeds that combo offers.

40 metres is more than pushing it for Unicable, see if the dish can be moved to a more central point between the rooms.

Else, is it important to you which decoder ends up in that far room? If not, a second option would be that a HD decoder may be best there at those distances if you can find one still able to work on a Universal LNB feed properly instead - that would be the 4 series for best usage results, but they're only available second hand so a slightly less capable (with EPG needs) series 5 or 6 may be the answer.

And in contradiction to my earlier opinion, your third option is that a 24-1Z switch could help narrow the distances by being placed somewhere more central ;-)  (would then be with a quad LNB.)

Channel 100 works if the install is ok, on that polarisation anyway, and is not reliant on XV or its HB working.

Details of the HB setup and how the diplexer will assist with that are best left until you've decided on final equipment and decoder choices. It's too wide a subject to try cover otherwise. This includes any cabling change options / needs.

Power for your equipment itself will be fine if you keep the Explora 1 as the Primary.

I really must leave it there.