cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Strength 100% / Quality 0%

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Strength 100% / Quality 0%

The values Jan gave are pretty much spot on. I tried some manual adjustments with the "wife method" telling me the persentages from below haha. I have sent you an PM with my email adress thanx.

I'm yet to try it on a neighbours dish, I am starting to think I should take my spare dish and use that as a referece point to eliminate my dish being defective and if that do not change anything I will start replacing cables ....

Red Carpet

It sounds like your satfinder might actually be faulty or requiring re-calibration.  Have you checked the manual?

Also, you may have to resort to a more manual means of aligning the antenna.

Have you compared the values given to you by Jan with what the antenna is currently set at?

You could be well down on a side lobe which will mean very poor performance of, especially HD channels.

If you wish, I can send you a recipe for a completely manual way to align the antenna independent of a satfinder.

Please send me a PM with an email address if you want the manual way of doing this.

Have you tried to see what the satfinder gives when used on a neighbour's antenna with good reception?

If you get the same garbled results, then you need to suspect that the satfinder is faulty.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM

Yes, That is why I bought the LMX501 and not the LMX502.

The satfinder simply do not change in pitch when using the unicable ports. I learnt that the hard way many years ago.

Highlighted
Red Carpet

1. You are aware that you need to use a universal legacy port to connect a simple satfinder to , not one of the unicable ports?
  2. The older satfinders are single frequency receivers and cannot accurately evaluate a combined satcr signal present on a satcr/unicable port.
Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM

Thank You! I will try the app and see if anything changes.

One thing I did pick up when I re-aligned my dish, is that the sound coming from my dish pointer was different to what it was before, it was a dirty scrambled type of sound and not the normal irritating high pitch sound. Almost like it was a radar type interference .... what baffles me is that some channels are perfect, others arent.

PS. I have no trees or neigbours on the side of the house that the dish points to, the dish stares into nothing but open sky.

BoxOffice

I would agree the problem is likely caused by some obstruction of the LOS to the satellite having eliminated likely installation problems like the LNB, cabling alignment and UB index conflicts.
It is sometimes difficult to spot tree branches interfering. There are various dish alignment apps available for android smart phones from the play store
The specific app I am using is called Satellite Director.
The one thing all have in common to work properly are the various sensors available on the phone.

1 Magnetometer to allow it to use a compass to determine the direction the camera is pointing
2 GPS to determine your location and the direction to the Satellite
3 And I think accelerometer to detect movement and angle the camera is pointing at.
4 It uses the phone camera

Operation tips
Remove anything magnetic land metal like the phone cover and metal objects from your clothing, even your wristwatch
Hold the phone directly in front and on the same level as the centre of the dish .

Some screen shots to show the various steps and example of tree branches obstructing the LOS

Select Satilite.jpgCheck LOS.jpg

GPS Location.jpg

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Showmaxed

I don't have time to read the whole thread, but it looks like these two factors haven't been covered;

1. Don't over-tighten connections, only hand tighten else damage that causes this behaviour can happen. (If this is suspect - check circuit boards involved for dry solder joints.)

2. Look for intermittent obstructions, such as a neighbour's tree that's grown and being blown by the wind. Look along the LOS (Line Of Sight) by looking along the dish's arm that holds the LNB.

That's all from me.

UPDATE: I replaced my LNB with a new LMX501, replaced my connectors, both ends and cut into the cable so it is a fresh connection. Re-aligned my dish from scratch and as per Jan's post specs. Exact same symptoms, nothing changed. I honestly do not get it. My cable all run in conduet with no exposure to the elements, my huge fibreglass dish is in perfect condition ... I just don't get it, can MC not reset my signal? Is that even possible?

Red Carpet

No harm done and the protection the terminations provide is a good idea.

You could check the alignment of the antenna as per Jan's post before replacing the LMX 500.

Thank you for all the help, I think I will upgrade to the LMX501, I need the universal port to be able to use my dish alignment device. I know the universal ports do not need to be blanked off but I like the fact the they are protected by the blank-off caps against the elements and corrosion, are there any harm using those caps to blank them off?