Welcome to Lifestyle

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

VH1 classic being replaced on 4 March ?!

Action

Re: VH1 classic being replaced on 4 March ?!

MC, whatever your thinking is, it's messed up! Smiley Mad

So get your minds in gear and bring back VH1; ok? Thanks Smiley Frustrated

Pace HDPVR 4 tuner, Samsung 65 UHD TV, Samsung J7500 BluRay, Denon X3200W AVR.
Highlighted
Showmaxed

Perhaps this music channels problem needs looking at from a different angle, the only one that seems to interest MC these days - finance.

The following says it all - actually they "value" the Music 24 channel as the highest, yet they insist on mostly catering to their lower tier markets... I'm sure this will be one of the reasons they removed a comprehensive table like this from dstv.co.za

music 24 - 'high' value.jpg

Now, I understand that the bulk of their future is believed by them to lie in those lower tiers, but this is completely back-to-front and overdone! They're trying to have their cake and eat it, and when they lose enough customers because of it it's the remaining ones of those who pay the most who will suffer which will cascade into yet worse results for all !!

Extra

You've got no taste or class giving this type of nostalgic statement. Current music is so empty and lost and lack nostalgia, melody and effort. You are the typical type of person with your argument that I'm sure can't identify more than one bird or tree specie in your own garden now you want to promote empty modern music even further.... Horrible framework your mind portrays at DSTV. WHAT A SHAME! 

Extra

Bring VH1 back! Are you silly taking it off? Can't afford the royalties anymore? 

Tags (1)
Extra

Bring VH1 back! Are you silly taking it off? Can't afford the royalties anymore? 

Doccie

DSTV you are dropping the ball once again. Please stop irritating your shrinking base of customers. We are already tempted to cancel DSTV and go for Netflix, with what we are paying monthly. By taking away channels that we actually enjoy, you are adding to the problem upsetting your current client base and pushing us towards other alternatives. No comment on on the lack of comment and delayed feedback from DSTV. 

New poster

Dstv you have killed music and my soul with the end of VH1.

Without VH1 the “growing youth” will be lacking a music and life education. 

VH1 was my favorite channel and also would leave it on like others when I wasn’t watching. When I was watching it was fantastic especially rock hour, rock ballads, 80’s, guess the year (loved playing that with my partner or friends) and VH1 was highly amusing to watch old music videos and trends, fashion and songs you knew but never knew who sang them. 

In my teenage years, back in 1999 I must admit I did mostly watch MTV but there was also VH1 then too and would flick between. As an adult I’ve only been into VH1.

The nostalgic market must be (late 20’s to me in my 30’s to my father at 80 years old) ? what’s the growing youth - 12-26 years old? that’s under two decades!  We nostalgic market make up half a century of viewers. The under 18’s don’t even have their own DSTV accounts.. my teenage stepson doesn’t even watch music on the tv and watch music videos on their phones or YouTube streaming on TV. 

I’d be interested to see the statistic of VH1 vs MTV replacement. 

Oh well.. at least you saving us electricity now and we all getting to bed earlier as no longer have VH1 to chill to or have as a pleasing background late at night. 

Smiley Sad 

Red Carpet

I fully understand why people are unhappy. To re-iterate what I posted before, I have no problem with the new channel - I quote enjoy it at times but it is also much more repetitive that it needs to be. It does - at least - play some current music that are not featured on other channels. I do not, however, understand why we can not have BOTH channels.

Our version of MTV Music 24 is clearly a watered down more affordable version of the UK channel which have different programs as I mentioned before: chart countdowns in different genres, new release segments, themed segments, band features etc - all we are getting is a loop of mixed music with no individual programs or segments.

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Action

We already have plenty of channels playing modern (iffy) music, but only ONE VH1 playing really excellent "nostalgic" music. Young people; at least I can speak for my children; LOVED VH1. I've been to many dinner and braai parties where VH1 was left to play as background music and was often left to play in my house when not watching TV.

DSTV's choice to remove it without testing it's popularity is unwarrented and arrogant.

Please bring it back! Replace some other channel if you must! Smiley Mad

Pace HDPVR 4 tuner, Samsung 65 UHD TV, Samsung J7500 BluRay, Denon X3200W AVR.
Anime

Thanks Julia, for replying after more than a month.

But like someone else mentioned, this is arrogance.  Music does not expire, but it seems in Multichoice eyes it do.  May be the panel deciding all teens and have no taste for rock or pop.  All the channels play one style of music, current music.  Just went to 323 again, another metal "blik" voice song playing.